    address shown is an anti-spam fake.
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Engineer, Oct 22, 2008

  2. "Engineer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, All.
    > New to group so please excuse if OT, i.e. not just XP related.
    > My wife's PC has a number of Wordperfect files on it that she used to
    > run on an old installation of Corel7 (which did run under XP.) The
    > system crashed and I had to reload XP (all application programs
    > lost.) I'd rather not reload a 10 year old Wordperfect CD (designed
    > for Win95) on XP, so is there a public domain WP software out there
    > that will open native Wordperfect files? I've not tried Openoffice on
    > Wordperfect files yet (but it does open MS Word files.) From now on,
    > not needing exotic formatting, she'll store stuff as .RTF so that
    > anything can open it - but we have to get at it first!
    > Thanks for all replies. Feel free to email me at "analogdino
    > at(taboy) rogers dot(ty-as-they-)com(e)", suitably decoded - email
    > address shown is an anti-spam fake.
    > Cheers,
    > Roger

    Sounds like a perfect question for a Word Perfect newsgroup. If this was my
    show then I would also do my homework and check out the Open Office.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Oct 22, 2008

  3. Engineer

    Big_Al Guest

    Engineer wrote:
    > Hi, All.
    > New to group so please excuse if OT, i.e. not just XP related.
    > My wife's PC has a number of Wordperfect files on it that she used to
    > run on an old installation of Corel7 (which did run under XP.) The
    > system crashed and I had to reload XP (all application programs
    > lost.) I'd rather not reload a 10 year old Wordperfect CD (designed
    > for Win95) on XP, so is there a public domain WP software out there
    > that will open native Wordperfect files? I've not tried Openoffice on
    > Wordperfect files yet (but it does open MS Word files.) From now on,
    > not needing exotic formatting, she'll store stuff as .RTF so that
    > anything can open it - but we have to get at it first!
    > Thanks for all replies. Feel free to email me at "analogdino
    > at(taboy) rogers dot(ty-as-they-)com(e)", suitably decoded - email
    > address shown is an anti-spam fake.
    > Cheers,
    > Roger

    There is a free Word 2007 viewer that MS gives out.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/CD102258581033.aspx

    You might see what it does. Word 2007 (the full version) has no WP
    reader out of the box. I know there are converters to be had, you'll
    just have to search MS's support site for them. I've done this for
    other friends both for WP and for Word Star.

    Then again if you knew anyone that had WP or Corel that could do the
    work for you, that would be great.

    Big_Al, Oct 22, 2008
  4. Engineer

    db.·.. > Guest

    you might try installing
    wp trial ware.

    --

    db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

    db.·.. >, Oct 22, 2008
  5. Engineer

    Malke Guest

    Engineer wrote:

    > Hi, All.
    > New to group so please excuse if OT, i.e. not just XP related.
    > My wife's PC has a number of Wordperfect files on it that she used to
    > run on an old installation of Corel7 (which did run under XP.) The
    > system crashed and I had to reload XP (all application programs
    > lost.) I'd rather not reload a 10 year old Wordperfect CD (designed
    > for Win95) on XP, so is there a public domain WP software out there
    > that will open native Wordperfect files? I've not tried Openoffice on
    > Wordperfect files yet (but it does open MS Word files.) From now on,
    > not needing exotic formatting, she'll store stuff as .RTF so that
    > anything can open it - but we have to get at it first!
    > Thanks for all replies. Feel free to email me at "analogdino
    > at(taboy) rogers dot(ty-as-they-)com(e)", suitably decoded - email
    > address shown is an anti-spam fake.

    Post back after you try OpenOffice 3.0.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

    Malke, Oct 22, 2008
  6. Engineer

    AJR Guest

    You do not indicaste having MS Word installed - pre-2007 versions provided
    a WP converter - if you have a Word CD - run setup and select to add
    additional features.

    AJR, Oct 22, 2008
  7. Engineer

    Terry R. Guest

    The date and time was 10/22/2008 2:40 PM, and on a whim, Engineer
    pounded out on the keyboard:

    > Hi, All.
    > New to group so please excuse if OT, i.e. not just XP related.
    > My wife's PC has a number of Wordperfect files on it that she used to
    > run on an old installation of Corel7 (which did run under XP.) The
    > system crashed and I had to reload XP (all application programs
    > lost.) I'd rather not reload a 10 year old Wordperfect CD (designed
    > for Win95) on XP, so is there a public domain WP software out there
    > that will open native Wordperfect files? I've not tried Openoffice on
    > Wordperfect files yet (but it does open MS Word files.) From now on,
    > not needing exotic formatting, she'll store stuff as .RTF so that
    > anything can open it - but we have to get at it first!
    > Thanks for all replies. Feel free to email me at "analogdino
    > at(taboy) rogers dot(ty-as-they-)com(e)", suitably decoded - email
    > address shown is an anti-spam fake.
    > Cheers,
    > Roger

    Hi Roger,

    The best recommendation IMO was to install the free trial software from
    Corel.

    You can get older versions very inexpensive here:
    http://www.everythingoutlet.com/cid/Corel-WordPerfect?gclid=CIOD4vKBvJYCFRNOagodlgl0LA

    Word & OpenOffice don't import WordPerfect documents very well unless
    they're just text.

    --
    Terry R.

    ***Reply Note***

    Terry R., Oct 23, 2008
  8. "Engineer" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, All.
    > New to group so please excuse if OT, i.e. not just XP related.
    > My wife's PC has a number of Wordperfect files on it that she used to
    > run on an old installation of Corel7 (which did run under XP.) The
    > system crashed and I had to reload XP (all application programs
    > lost.) I'd rather not reload a 10 year old Wordperfect CD (designed
    > for Win95) on XP, so is there a public domain WP software out there
    > that will open native Wordperfect files? I've not tried Openoffice on
    > Wordperfect files yet (but it does open MS Word files.) From now on,
    > not needing exotic formatting, she'll store stuff as .RTF so that
    > anything can open it - but we have to get at it first!
    > Thanks for all replies. Feel free to email me at "analogdino
    > at(taboy) rogers dot(ty-as-they-)com(e)", suitably decoded - email
    > address shown is an anti-spam fake.
    > Cheers,
    > Roger

    As it happens, earlier today, I was working on an old DOS system that had
    both WordPerfect 5.1 and WordStar installed.

    The documents that were wanted don't have extensions, and at the time, word
    processors didn't add them.

    All of the WP files open with no problem in Word (2003, as it happens).
    Thankfully there weren't a lot of WordStar docs; these didn't translate so
    cleanly.

    So what you can do is just save those files to disk or USB key, take them to
    a system that has WP or Word, open and do a Save As.

    OpenOffice can be an excellent solution, so don't hesitate to use it. I
    will point out that you should check the default document format - I've been
    sent OO files that are in a format that requires a 30Meg converter be
    installed to Word. Set the default format to word .DOC format if you need
    to share files.

    HTH
    -pk

    Patrick Keenan, Oct 23, 2008
  9. Engineer

    HeyBub Guest

    Engineer wrote:
    > Hi, All.
    > New to group so please excuse if OT, i.e. not just XP related.
    > My wife's PC has a number of Wordperfect files on it that she used to
    > run on an old installation of Corel7 (which did run under XP.) The
    > system crashed and I had to reload XP (all application programs
    > lost.) I'd rather not reload a 10 year old Wordperfect CD (designed
    > for Win95) on XP, so is there a public domain WP software out there
    > that will open native Wordperfect files? I've not tried Openoffice on
    > Wordperfect files yet (but it does open MS Word files.) From now on,
    > not needing exotic formatting, she'll store stuff as .RTF so that
    > anything can open it - but we have to get at it first!
    > Thanks for all replies. Feel free to email me at "analogdino
    > at(taboy) rogers dot(ty-as-they-)com(e)", suitably decoded - email
    > address shown is an anti-spam fake.

    You can buy a copy of Word. Better would be a copy of Office Professional.
    It's only a few hundred dollars.

    HeyBub, Oct 23, 2008
  10. Engineer

    Doug W. Guest

    I just opened up a WordPerfect file in OpenOffice 2.4 and it
    works perfectly.

    In any event OpenOffice is a valuable addition to any computer
    and it is FREE.

    Doug W.
    ------------

    Doug W., Oct 23, 2008
  11. Engineer

    Engineer Guest

    On Oct 22, 5:40 pm, Engineer <> wrote:
    > Hi, All.
    > New to group so please excuse if OT, i.e. not just XP related.
    > My wife's PC has a number of Wordperfect files on it that she used to
    > run on an old installation of Corel7 (which did run under XP.)  The
    > system crashed and I had to reload XP (all application programs
    > lost.)  I'd rather not reload a 10 year old Wordperfect CD (designed
    > for Win95) on XP, so is there a public domain WP software out there
    > that will open native Wordperfect files?  I've not tried Openoffice on
    > Wordperfect files yet (but it does open MS Word files.)

    (snip)

    > Cheers,
    > Roger

    Thanks for for all replies. The good news is that OpenOffice9
    opens .WPD files. So far no problems, looks good. Of course, I
    should have tried this first!
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Engineer, Oct 23, 2008
  12. On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:40:41 -0700 (PDT), Engineer
    <> wrote:

    > Hi, All.
    > New to group so please excuse if OT, i.e. not just XP related.
    > My wife's PC has a number of Wordperfect files on it that she used to
    > run on an old installation of Corel7 (which did run under XP.) The
    > system crashed and I had to reload XP (all application programs
    > lost.) I'd rather not reload a 10 year old Wordperfect CD (designed
    > for Win95) on XP, so is there a public domain WP software out there
    > that will open native Wordperfect files? I've not tried Openoffice on
    > Wordperfect files yet (but it does open MS Word files.) From now on,
    > not needing exotic formatting, she'll store stuff as .RTF so that
    > anything can open it - but we have to get at it first!

    I'm a WordPerfect fan. If I were in your shoes, I would buy a newer
    version of WordPerfect.

    I don't know whether there is any public software that will help you.

    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Oct 23, 2008
  13. Engineer

    Engineer Guest

    On Oct 22, 8:18 pm, "Patrick Keenan" <> wrote:
    > "Engineer" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi, All.
    > > New to group so please excuse if OT, i.e. not just XP related.
    > > My wife's PC has a number of Wordperfect files on it that she used to
    > > run on an old installation of Corel7 (which did run under XP.)  The
    > > system crashed and I had to reload XP (all application programs
    > > lost.)  I'd rather not reload a 10 year old Wordperfect CD (designed
    > > for Win95) on XP, so is there a public domain WP software out there
    > > that will open native Wordperfect files?  I've not tried Openoffice on
    > > Wordperfect files yet (but it does open MS Word files.)  From now on,
    > > not needing exotic formatting, she'll store stuff as .RTF so that
    > > anything can open it - but we have to get at it first!
    > > Thanks for all replies.  Feel free to email me at "analogdino
    > > at(taboy) rogers dot(ty-as-they-)com(e)", suitably decoded - email
    > > address shown is an anti-spam fake.
    > > Cheers,
    > > Roger

    > As it happens, earlier today, I was working on an old DOS system that had
    > both WordPerfect 5.1 and WordStar installed.
    >
    > The documents that were wanted don't have extensions, and at the time, word
    > processors didn't add them.
    >
    > All of the WP files open with no problem in Word (2003, as it happens).
    > Thankfully there weren't a lot of WordStar docs; these didn't translate so
    > cleanly.
    >
    > So what you can do is just save those files to disk or USB key, take themto
    > a system that has WP or Word, open and do a Save As.
    >
    > OpenOffice can be an excellent solution, so don't hesitate to use it.  I
    > will point out that you should check the default document format - I've been
    > sent OO files that are in a format that requires a 30Meg converter be
    > installed to Word.   Set the default format to word .DOC format if you need
    > to share files.
    >
    > HTH
    > -pk- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for comments. My default for simple documents is .RTF - anyone
    can open it in free Wordpad.
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Engineer, Oct 24, 2008