    there a free and easy way to do that?
    --
    Ragab

    Ragab, Apr 29, 2008

  2. Ragab

    Malke Guest

    Ragab wrote:

    > I wanna make a password for some folders in WindowsXP Professional SP2. Is
    > there a free and easy way to do that?

    XP and Vista do not use passwords to protect resources. NT-based operating
    systems use permissions instead. Here is information to help you with that:

    How to disable Simple Sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in
    Windows XP (Pro only)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

    By default in XP Home, you can only make files and folders under My
    Documents "private". Otherwise, to see the security tab in WinXP Home,
    restart in Safe mode and log on with an account that has administrator
    privileges. To get into Safe Mode, repeatedly tap the F8 key as the
    computer is starting up. This will get you to the menu where you can choose
    Safe Mode.

    Note that the file system must be NTFS, not FAT32.

    Passwording of folders is not supported unless you zip them. When you do
    (right click a folder, then "send to > compressed folder") and then open the
    zip file, you will find an option under file>"add a password". Otherwise,
    use third-party software. Google "password protect folders".

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Apr 29, 2008

  3. Ragab

    Ragab Guest

    Thanks Malke. I know there is no password feature in WinXP. I was asking is
    there a safe and free third-party software can be used to password folders or
    partitions? There is a trial software called "Folder Lock", but it's just a
    trial, and I don't know if it's safe or not, I'm afraid it may harm my PC or
    harm the locked folders. Thanks for help
    --
    Ragab

    Ragab, Apr 29, 2008
  4. Ragab

    Malke Guest

    Ragab wrote:

    > Thanks Malke. I know there is no password feature in WinXP. I was asking
    > is there a safe and free third-party software can be used to password
    > folders or partitions? There is a trial software called "Folder Lock", but
    > it's just a trial, and I don't know if it's safe or not, I'm afraid it may
    > harm my PC or harm the locked folders. Thanks for help

    Don't know since I don't use third-party software that does folder
    passwording. I use permissions instead on my operating systems. I have seen
    quite a few posts in the MS public newsgroups from people who had issues
    with Folder Lock. I have no idea if this means Folder Lock is iffy or the
    people using it didn't know what they are doing.

    Suggest you look at some of the reputable download sites that have user
    reviews and try out some of the programs that look like they'll do what you
    want. Make a System Restore point before you try out new software and have
    all your files backed up on removable media as a precaution. Then you can
    report back here!

    Good luck,

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 30, 2008
  5. Ragab

    Lily Guest

    This procedure of zipping and passwording seems to be working for me so far
    so why would there be a need for anything more elaborate ? Not being
    difficult here but I am not very computer savvy so perhaps there is a reason
    why this wouldn't be sufficient ? For my needs it seems ok but maybe there is
    something here I haven't really grasped ? Perhaps as a "belts and braces"
    thing I could also put a password on individual Word documents within the
    passworded zip file ?

    I don't need CIA level security this is more to protect some documents from
    my fairly savvy teenager (actually, maybe CIA level secutity WOULD be good!).
    I have simply been keeping these particular documents on a removeable drive
    which can be kept secure but that is a bit of a pain having to go get it
    every time etc.

    I will continue to keep copies of the documents on the removeable drive but
    if I could keep at least some on the desktop in passworded zip folders that
    would be much more convenient. (yes, there is a password on the windows login
    etc but, as I said, I am a belts and braces person.)

    I am really not very up with all this stuff so the various posts and advice
    here have been really useful !

    Thanks

    Lily, May 13, 2008
    <snipped>

    Lily wrote:
    > This procedure of zipping and passwording seems to be working for
    > me so far so why would there be a need for anything more elaborate
    > ? Not being difficult here but I am not very computer savvy so
    > perhaps there is a reason why this wouldn't be sufficient ? For my
    > needs it seems ok but maybe there is something here I haven't
    > really grasped ? Perhaps as a "belts and braces" thing I could also
    > put a password on individual Word documents within the passworded
    > zip file ?
    >
    > I don't need CIA level security this is more to protect some
    > documents from my fairly savvy teenager (actually, maybe CIA level
    > secutity WOULD be good!). I have simply been keeping these
    > particular documents on a removeable drive which can be kept secure
    > but that is a bit of a pain having to go get it every time etc.
    >
    > I will continue to keep copies of the documents on the removeable
    > drive but if I could keep at least some on the desktop in
    > passworded zip folders that would be much more convenient. (yes,
    > there is a password on the windows login etc but, as I said, I am a
    > belts and braces person.)
    >
    > I am really not very up with all this stuff so the various posts
    > and advice here have been really useful !

    The 'need' for more elaborate means may not exist for you - although I don't
    see where anyone said you needed more elaborate means anyway. ;-)

    The fact is that beyond encrypting the documents - any 'password protection'
    or 'file and folder permissions' you put on a file could be gotten around by
    someone with time, physical access to the computer and enough knowledge to
    google for answers.

    I can see it would be very easy for a savvy teenager (using your example) to
    create a new administrative account on the computer - install whatever
    hacked software for hacking passwords they need and brute-force their way
    into your files. Better yet - they could install key logging software and
    just trace what you type and pull out the password that way. And the reason
    I mentioned the administrator account thing first - that all but gets you
    around the file and folder permissions.

    If having a password protected file has kept you confidently safe from
    prying eyes - that is what is working for you - go with it. ;-)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, May 13, 2008