How can I improve my wireless network signal?

Reaction score
as mentioned here before ive recently set up a wireless network which consists of:

Wireless Router/adsl modem/ access point = Linksys 54g
Wireless PCI card = Linksys

The two computers are far away from each other, on different levels. I work it out as 3 walls, this is including ceilings aswell.

What happens is that when i go on to the pc with the wireless pci card i try to look for wireless networks. my network will get detected, but the signal strength will be low. The speed starts at around 55mbps, obviously this is max. this then goes down from 38, 18, to 11mpbs and finally to a little 5.5mpbs. whilst always the signal strength is low and only 2 bars out of 5 appear.

I looked on the linksys website, they told me to play around with the wireless channel which ranges from 1 to number 13. i have done this but to no avail! both computers are on different levels of the house,

does anyone have any suggestions? i did bring both pcs on the same level and the signal is good im happy with it.

normally my signal when i get one is 2 bars out of 5 and i get around 5.5.mbs but when i try to access files on another computer the signal gets lost.

do u think 3 walls is too much? im mainly looking to share my internet connection whiich i aint got yet anyway, but im hoping as my networking speed is 5.5mpbs and my internet is 1mpbs. im hoping it will work properly. cuz if it dont im gona cry :(

none of my mates have wireless yet, so i aint got anyone to ask but you that is reading this message. please let me know what u think i could do to get a better signal?

thanks for reading this long thing!

Reaction score
Is the wireless access point in the middle of the PC's? or is it close to one of them?

If you ae really loking to improve the rang, you can get an "apple airport express" this is designed to improve the range on an "apple airport extream" but it may work with other networks this is expensive at arround £99!

Most of the time on my network, i only have 1 / 2 bars, but everything works fine still at max speed...

Hope this helped,

KGB

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
Is the wireless access point in the middle of the PC's? or is it close to one of them?

If you ae really loking to improve the rang, you can get an "apple airport express" this is designed to improve the range on an "apple airport extream" but it may work with other networks this is expensive at arround £99!

Most of the time on my network, i only have 1 / 2 bars, but everything works fine still at max speed...

Hope this helped,

KGB

the wireless access point is connected to one of the pc's. its not in the middle

could i just connect the wirless access point to just the phone line to share adsl? will i need to connect the wireless router to a pc to enable 'shared internet connection'

im not prepared to pay 100 quid for this too much cant afford that.

cheers for reply

Reaction score
You will need the access point in the middle to get it to work, if it has a built in ADSL modem, just plug it i the phone line, if not you will need to get one...

Reaction score
add in a another access point this will boost the signal ad will cost no more than £50.

could actually be alot ess, i haven't really checked prices.

Reaction score
do u think one of those antennas wil make a difference?

or possibly a different pci card on one of the computers?

good idea to put the access point elsewhere on the phone line, but that will mean one pc will not be connected.

and the other idea of getting another access point aint half bad either.but does this need to be connected to another machine?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i've heard they work quite well but i haven't got a wireless network so can't try it out

Ask a Question