How can I fix page numbers so the number isn't cut off?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Guest, Mar 5, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I recently added Word 2007, and I don't know if this is the cause of the
    problem, but I was having such difficulty learning it, I'm using my old Word
    2003 every day. On both programs, when I try to insert a page number, the
    tops of all the numbers are cut off, whether they're at the top or bottom of
    the page. This never happened before, and I can't figure out how to fix it.
    TIA>
     
    Guest, Mar 5, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Guest

    Graham Mayor Guest

    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/BottomsDontPrint.htm

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    My web site www.gmayor.com
    Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Perfumer wrote:
    > I recently added Word 2007, and I don't know if this is the cause of
    > the problem, but I was having such difficulty learning it, I'm using
    > my old Word 2003 every day. On both programs, when I try to insert a
    > page number, the tops of all the numbers are cut off, whether they're
    > at the top or bottom of the page. This never happened before, and I
    > can't figure out how to fix it.
     
    Graham Mayor, Mar 6, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Graham Mayor" wrote:

    > http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/BottomsDontPrint.htm
    >

    I went through everything here. BTW, my page numbers at the bottom AND top
    of the page are cut off. The top half of the number. My margins are very
    generous for the page and I increased the default footer and header margins
    to .7. I have a new Lexmark printer. Even when I highlight the number when
    I'm viewing headers and footers, so that I could move the number, it's still
    cut off inside the move box. Top half is just chopped off.
     
    Guest, Mar 6, 2007
    #3
  4. Guest

    Jay Freedman Guest

    Select the number and then go to the Format > Paragraph dialog. Your symptom
    is what happens when the line spacing is set to "Exactly" a certain number
    of points and it's less than the height of the text. If that's the case, set
    the line spacing to "Single" or "At Least". Further, if that fixes it for
    the selected number, change the definition of the paragraph style in the
    same way to fix all the other page numbers.

    --
    Regards,
    Jay Freedman
    Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
    all may benefit.

    Perfumer wrote:
    > "Graham Mayor" wrote:
    >
    >> http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/BottomsDontPrint.htm
    >>

    > I went through everything here. BTW, my page numbers at the bottom
    > AND top of the page are cut off. The top half of the number. My
    > margins are very generous for the page and I increased the default
    > footer and header margins to .7. I have a new Lexmark printer. Even
    > when I highlight the number when I'm viewing headers and footers, so
    > that I could move the number, it's still cut off inside the move box.
    > Top half is just chopped off.
     
    Jay Freedman, Mar 6, 2007
    #4
  5. If you inserted the numbers using the Insert | Page Numbers command, they're
    in a frame. Although the frame is set for Auto size in both directions,
    sometimes it doesn't behave that way; if you increased the font size,
    there's a good chance the frame is too small.

    A more likely explanation, though, is Jay's, that you're using Exactly line
    spacing. If you modified Normal to have exact line spacing, then every style
    based on Normal (which includes Header and Footer) will be effected; this is
    why I recommend not modifying Normal style in any way beyond font; see
    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NormalVsBodyStyles.htm

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)
    Words into Type
    Fairhope, Alabama USA
    Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
    Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
    all may benefit.

    "Perfumer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > "Graham Mayor" wrote:
    >
    > > http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/BottomsDontPrint.htm
    > >

    > I went through everything here. BTW, my page numbers at the bottom AND top
    > of the page are cut off. The top half of the number. My margins are very
    > generous for the page and I increased the default footer and header

    margins
    > to .7. I have a new Lexmark printer. Even when I highlight the number

    when
    > I'm viewing headers and footers, so that I could move the number, it's

    still
    > cut off inside the move box. Top half is just chopped off.
     
    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Mar 6, 2007
    #5
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Jay Freedman" wrote:

    > Select the number and then go to the Format > Paragraph dialog. Your symptom
    > is what happens when the line spacing is set to "Exactly" a certain number
    > of points and it's less than the height of the text. If that's the case, set
    > the line spacing to "Single" or "At Least". Further, if that fixes it for
    > the selected number, change the definition of the paragraph style in the
    > same way to fix all the other page numbers.


    Yes, that fixed the chopped-off numbers problem. Now there's another one!
    Starting in the middle of page 7 of the document, I have formatted that there
    are two columns for a long list of names, about 200. After that two column
    format, I go back to one column for more text.

    The page numbers stop at 7, where the two-column begins, and never start
    again. Can you help? TIA.
     
    Guest, Mar 9, 2007
    #6
  7. In the section(s) where you don't have page numbers, View | Header and
    Footer and click on the Insert Page Number button. In Format Page Number,
    make sure that the numbering is set to "Continue from previous sections."

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)
    Words into Type
    Fairhope, Alabama USA
    Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
    Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
    all may benefit.

    "Perfumer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > "Jay Freedman" wrote:
    >
    > > Select the number and then go to the Format > Paragraph dialog. Your

    symptom
    > > is what happens when the line spacing is set to "Exactly" a certain

    number
    > > of points and it's less than the height of the text. If that's the case,

    set
    > > the line spacing to "Single" or "At Least". Further, if that fixes it

    for
    > > the selected number, change the definition of the paragraph style in the
    > > same way to fix all the other page numbers.

    >
    > Yes, that fixed the chopped-off numbers problem. Now there's another one!
    > Starting in the middle of page 7 of the document, I have formatted that

    there
    > are two columns for a long list of names, about 200. After that two column
    > format, I go back to one column for more text.
    >
    > The page numbers stop at 7, where the two-column begins, and never start
    > again. Can you help? TIA.
     
    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Mar 9, 2007
    #7
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Guest

    Page numbers show up in form {PAGE } not as numbers. Why?

    Guest, Apr 1, 2006, in forum: Microsoft Word Document Management
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    589
    Guest
    Apr 1, 2006
  2. Guest

    page numbers are cut off in footer

    Guest, Jun 1, 2006, in forum: Microsoft Word Document Management
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,601
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Jun 2, 2006
  3. Guest

    How do I add page numbers without changing the other page numbers

    Guest, Nov 1, 2006, in forum: Microsoft Word Document Management
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,482
    Stefan Blom
    Nov 1, 2006
  4. Guest

    Over-riding Section Page Numbers with Document Page Numbers in a T

    Guest, Nov 14, 2006, in forum: Microsoft Word Document Management
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    641
    Robert M. Franz (RMF)
    Nov 16, 2006
  5. emk1nyc

    Top of text is cut off. How do I fix?

    emk1nyc, Sep 23, 2009, in forum: Microsoft Word Document Management
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    705
    Stefan Blom
    Sep 23, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page