How Can I Fix a Windows Update Error Due To Untimely Shutdown?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by Phil Galey, Aug 11, 2010.

  1. Phil Galey

    Phil Galey Guest

    I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I have a problem
    with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just pulled the plug
    from the wall. I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76 updates,
    which it completed with no problem. It then started installing them one by
    one. It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer shut
    off. It's labeled as

    Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
    (KB969058)

    and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
    Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed. If I try to
    re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says "Some
    updates were not installed." with a big red X. It also says "Error(s)
    found: Code 80242006 Windows Update encountered an unknown error."

    Question: How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the rest
    of the updates? Thanks.

    Phil Galey, Aug 11, 2010

  2. Phil Galey

    housetrained Guest

    I would be more concerned as to why your computer keeps shutting down. Is it
    overheating?
    Meanwhile use system restore to go back to before that update then try
    again.

    --
    John the West Ham fan

    <><

    housetrained, Aug 11, 2010

  3. On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:07:34 -0700, Phil Galey wrote:

    > I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I have a problem
    > with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just pulled the plug
    > from the wall. I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76 updates,
    > which it completed with no problem. It then started installing them one by
    > one. It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer shut
    > off. It's labeled as
    >
    > Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
    > (KB969058)
    >
    > and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
    > Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed. If I try to
    > re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says "Some
    > updates were not installed." with a big red X. It also says "Error(s)
    > found: Code 80242006 Windows Update encountered an unknown error."
    >
    > Question: How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the rest
    > of the updates? Thanks.

    I certainly agree with housetrained...

    But to answer the question you asked - it is possible to download updates
    (one by one if necessary) and install them individually from the downloaded
    files. Or just go to the update manager and uncheck the checkbox for the
    one that is troubling you.

    It sounds like you haven't done this: configure Windows Update to tell you
    when updates are available and let you start the process manually. That
    would give you the opportunity to unselect the bad one before retrying.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

    Gene E. Bloch, Aug 11, 2010
  4. Phil Galey

    Mark Adams Guest

    "Phil Galey" wrote:

    > I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I have a problem
    > with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just pulled the plug
    > from the wall. I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76 updates,
    > which it completed with no problem. It then started installing them one by
    > one. It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer shut
    > off. It's labeled as
    >
    > Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
    > (KB969058)
    >
    > and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
    > Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed. If I try to
    > re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says "Some
    > updates were not installed." with a big red X. It also says "Error(s)
    > found: Code 80242006 Windows Update encountered an unknown error."
    >
    > Question: How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the rest
    > of the updates? Thanks.

    See the following KB article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

    You really need to fix that sudden shutoff issue before you even think about
    installing updates. I would start with the failing power supply.

    Mark Adams, Aug 11, 2010
  5. Phil Galey

    webster72n Guest

    "Kevin John Panzke" <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 11, 3:59 pm, "housetrained" <> wrote:
    >> I would be more concerned as to why your computer keeps shutting down. Is
    >> it
    >> overheating?
    >> Meanwhile use system restore to go back to before that update then try
    >> again.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John the West Ham fan
    >>

    >> <><
    >>
    >> "Phil Galey" <> wrote in message

    >> > I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I have a
    >> > problem with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just
    >> > pulled
    >> > the plug from the wall. I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76
    >> > updates,
    >> > which it completed with no problem. It then started installing them
    >> > one
    >> > by one. It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer
    >> > shut off. It's labeled as

    >> > Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
    >> > (KB969058)

    >> > and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
    >> > Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed. If I try to
    >> > re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says
    >> > "Some updates were not installed." with a big red X. It also says
    >> > "Error(s) found: Code 80242006 Windows Update encountered an unknown
    >> > error."

    >> > Question: How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the
    >> > rest
    >> > of the updates? Thanks.

    > REFORMAT YOUR COMPUTER AND INSTALL OPEN SOURCE LINUX UBUNTU!

    Is this Alias 'under cover'?

    webster72n, Aug 12, 2010
  6. Phil Galey

    Phil Galey Guest

    RE: Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 running on AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core
    Processor 4000+ 2.1GHz
    with 3 Gb of RAM

    As everyone as been recommending, I replaced my older 350 Watt power supply
    with a brand new 680 Watt power supply. Unfortunately, as I expected, the
    computer still shuts off. The program that most quickly causes it to shut
    off is Microsoft Flight Simulator X Demo. Admittedly, the system does seem
    to be able to idle for a long time now. I haven't waited to see how long.

    I downloaded CoreTemp64 and I notice that when running Flight Simulator and
    flying the jet liner, Core 1 is maxed at 100% usage and the temperature
    eventually gets past 100° C. Core 2 on the other hand stays basically idle,
    with about 4% usage and the temperature maintaining at about 20° cooler than
    Core 1. So as I suspected, it does look like I have an overheating problem.

    The CPU fan is running at over 3300 rpm. Do I have a bad CPU, or might it
    be something else?

    Phillip

    Phil Galey, Aug 22, 2010
  7. It might be a dust mat accumulated between the CPU fan and the heat
    sink, so the CPU is not being cooled.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 22, 2010
  8. Phil Galey

    sannyfairy53

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    To fix Windows update error due to unexpected shutdown, you may try an automatic fix tool which lets you to fix windows update error in a complete manner.

    Error Code 66A

    sannyfairy53, Feb 3, 2012