How can I execute an .inf file durning an unattended install?

Nobody You Know

I have an .inf file that enables the Administrator account on the
login screen. How can I execute this during an unattended install?

Thanks.

Feng Mao

Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

You may use Setup Manager to modify the answer file. To launch Setup
Manager, follow the below steps:

1. Start Windows Explorer, and then open the Support\Tools folder on the
Windows XP CD-ROM.

2. In the right pane, double-click the Deploy.cab file to open it.

3. On the Edit menu, click Select All.

4. On the Edit menu, click Copy.

5. Create a new folder on your local hard disk. To do this:

a. Click Local Disk (C:).

b. On the File menu, point to New, and then click Folder.

c. In the New Folder name box, type the name that you want, and then press
ENTER.

6. Right-click the new folder that you created, and then click Paste.

7. Double-click the new folder to open it, and then double-click the
Setupmgr.exe file. The Windows XP Setup Manager Wizard starts. Follow the
instructions in the wizard to create an answer file.

In Additional Commands, you may specify the commands like below to run INF
installation.

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %1
Where %1 is the path and file name of the INF file to install

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: Nobody You Know <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
| Subject: How can I execute an .inf file durning an unattended install?
| Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:44:23 -0500
|
| I have an .inf file that enables the Administrator account on the
| login screen. How can I execute this during an unattended install?
|
| Thanks.

Nobody You Know

Thanks, it worked great! I have another question. Is it possible to
automagically create a user account in an unattended install, and
skip the User account screen during setup?

Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

You may use Setup Manager to modify the answer file. To launch Setup
Manager, follow the below steps:

1. Start Windows Explorer, and then open the Support\Tools folder on the
Windows XP CD-ROM.

2. In the right pane, double-click the Deploy.cab file to open it.

3. On the Edit menu, click Select All.

4. On the Edit menu, click Copy.

5. Create a new folder on your local hard disk. To do this:

a. Click Local Disk (C:).

b. On the File menu, point to New, and then click Folder.

c. In the New Folder name box, type the name that you want, and then press
ENTER.

6. Right-click the new folder that you created, and then click Paste.

7. Double-click the new folder to open it, and then double-click the
Setupmgr.exe file. The Windows XP Setup Manager Wizard starts. Follow the
instructions in the wizard to create an answer file.

In Additional Commands, you may specify the commands like below to run INF
installation.

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %1
Where %1 is the path and file name of the INF file to install

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: Nobody You Know <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
| Subject: How can I execute an .inf file durning an unattended install?
| Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:44:23 -0500
|
| I have an .inf file that enables the Administrator account on the
| login screen. How can I execute this during an unattended install?
|
| Thanks.

Feng Mao

Hi,

I am glad to hear that everything works.

Do not hesitate to post your question to the newsgroup in the future.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: Nobody You Know <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
| Subject: Re: How can I execute an .inf file durning an unattended install?
| Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 08:41:29 -0500
|
| On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 08:31:21 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
<[email protected]>