    something to do with the computer itself.

    Anybody who can advise me how to do a simple clean sweep format I would be
    most appreciative

    dev, Dec 28, 2004

  2. dev

    ByTor Guest

    In article <>, ,
    dev says...

    > Hi, I have just migrated from windows 98 running on a dan pentium 2.
    >
    > I now have a dell 4700 and I want to do a fresh install, but I can't work
    > out how to delete and clean the entire system and do a fresh install in the
    > same way.
    >
    > My "dareks boot and nuke" floppy "destroyer" disc wont' work, and my windows
    > 98 disc in which I knew how to "format" is not working either??
    >
    > It allways pops up, I did a fresh install but the system outfoxed me and I
    > found I had TWO installations of XP now I am really wondering if this is
    > something to do with the computer itself.
    >
    > Anybody who can advise me how to do a simple clean sweep format I would be
    > most appreciative

    I sometimes find it's just easier, without 3rd party partitioning
    software, to just get the utility disk for your type Hdrive and quick
    low level the drive........This will wipe it NO matter what's on the
    drive.....After you're done boot to your OS CD & let the setup format
    your HD...........

    ByTor, Dec 28, 2004

  3. The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Dec 28, 2004
  4. dev

    dev Guest

    "ByTor" <> wrote in message

    >> Anybody who can advise me how to do a simple clean sweep format I would
    >> be
    >> most appreciative

    > I sometimes find it's just easier, without 3rd party partitioning
    > software, to just get the utility disk for your type Hdrive and quick
    > low level the drive........This will wipe it NO matter what's on the
    > drive.....After you're done boot to your OS CD & let the setup format
    > your HD...........

    Hi That is fine, I have nothing that needs to be really destroyed for
    security reasons only I want to make sure I wipe away any mistakes of my
    meddling or any viruses that have gotten onto it, I just want the knowledge
    that I am starting from the best possible installation of windows XP now
    that I have found my way around it.

    what do you mean by getting the utlity disc for your type H drive?

    Any ideas where I can find the easiest possible method of doing what you
    suggest, it sounds like that is all that is needed, just a general format
    would be fine.

    dev, Dec 28, 2004
  5. dev

    Malke Guest

    dev wrote:

    > Hi, I have just migrated from windows 98 running on a dan pentium 2.
    >
    > I now have a dell 4700 and I want to do a fresh install, but I can't
    > work out how to delete and clean the entire system and do a fresh
    > install in the same way.
    >
    > My "dareks boot and nuke" floppy "destroyer" disc wont' work, and my
    > windows 98 disc in which I knew how to "format" is not working
    > either??
    >
    > It allways pops up, I did a fresh install but the system outfoxed me
    > and I found I had TWO installations of XP now I am really wondering if
    > this is something to do with the computer itself.
    >
    > Anybody who can advise me how to do a simple clean sweep format I
    > would be most appreciative

    You have a new Dell and you want to do a clean install? Dell provides an
    operating system disk which is bootable. You boot with it and take
    installation. Then you need to delete the current os partition and
    create a new one. This has nothing to do with the "computer itself" but
    rather that you didn't install correctly. Here is a link to help you
    with installing Windows:

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Dec 28, 2004
  6. dev

    dev Guest

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    > to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    > Windows XP to partition and format your drive:
    >
    > NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral
    > hardware
    > devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before
    > installing XP.
    >
    > NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect
    > the
    > EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your
    > main
    > hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    > After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.
    >
    > 1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".
    >
    > ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    > ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    >
    > 2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    > 3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    > 4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the
    > existing
    > Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the
    > primary
    > partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.
    >
    > 5. Clean Install Windows XP
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

    Thankyou for that info, the bit I got stuck on last time was the bit where
    it asked you if you want to delete this or that partition,
    I chose not to delete so I ended up with several instances of Windows..

    dev, Dec 28, 2004
  7. dev

    dev Guest

    "Malke" <> wrote in message
    > dev wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I have just migrated from windows 98 running on a dan pentium 2.
    >>
    >> I now have a dell 4700 and I want to do a fresh install, but I can't
    >> work out how to delete and clean the entire system and do a fresh
    >> install in the same way.
    >>
    >> My "dareks boot and nuke" floppy "destroyer" disc wont' work, and my
    >> windows 98 disc in which I knew how to "format" is not working
    >> either??
    >>
    >> It allways pops up, I did a fresh install but the system outfoxed me
    >> and I found I had TWO installations of XP now I am really wondering if
    >> this is something to do with the computer itself.
    >>
    >> Anybody who can advise me how to do a simple clean sweep format I
    >> would be most appreciative

    > You have a new Dell and you want to do a clean install? Dell provides an
    > operating system disk which is bootable. You boot with it and take
    > installation. Then you need to delete the current os partition and
    > create a new one. This has nothing to do with the "computer itself" but
    > rather that you didn't install correctly. Here is a link to help you
    > with installing Windows:
    >
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"

    Thanks alot Malke

    IN case you are wondering why I want to reinstall so fast the reason is as
    follows: On my old Pentium 2, 98Se allways as a last resort if there was any
    problem or anything I could just do a fresh install, and it allways without
    fail solved whatever problem existed. This saved countless hours of problem
    solving.

    I wish to have the same knowledge and the same ability with Windows XP. If
    that make sense. So the sooner I have learnt how to do a fresh install the
    more confidence I will have with using my computer as ultimately I can fix
    any problem.

    Kind Rgds

    dev, Dec 28, 2004
  8. dev

    Alias Guest

    "dev" <> wrote

    :
    : "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    : > to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    : > Windows XP to partition and format your drive:
    : >
[...]

    Here's an easier way:

    Find out what the brand name of your hard drive is.

    Go to the hard drive's manufacturer's web site and download the FLOPPY, not
    CD, utilities to format and partition your hard drive.

    Once you have the floppy or floppies (some HDs have two floppies), stick it
    in the floppy drive and boot up.

    Follow the instructions after the HD program loads.

    Once you've formatted (a quick format should suffice) and partitioned your
    hard drive, go into the BIOS and set your CDROM as the first to boot.

    Put the XP CD in your CDROM.

    Reboot and install XP.

    Go into safe mode and do a clean up/chkdsk/defrag.

    Boot back into normal mode.

    Reboot into the BIOS and change your boot order back to the way it was.

    Go into safe mode and do a clean up/chkdsk/defrag.

    Install your programs and go into safe mode and do a clean up/chkdsk/defrag
    after each installation if big and after three or four if the programs are
    small.

    Install your devices like your printer, camera, etc.

    Enjoy.
    --
    Alias

    Use the Reply to Sender function of your news reader program to email me.

    :
    :
    :

    Alias, Dec 28, 2004
  9. Why is that easier?
    It is an alternate method, but not easier.

    1. Search for floppy image on web site.
    2. Make floppy disk.
    3. boot with floppy disk utility.
    4. run utility to wipe hard drive.
    5. reboot with XP CD.
    6. Run setup.

    As opposed to

    1. Boot with XP CD.
    2. Run setup.

    Easier? :cool:
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

    Michael Stevens, Dec 28, 2004
  10. dev

    Alias Guest

    "Michael Stevens" <> wrote

    : Why is that easier?
    : It is an alternate method, but not easier.
    :
    : 1. Search for floppy image on web site.
    : 2. Make floppy disk.
    : 3. boot with floppy disk utility.
    : 4. run utility to wipe hard drive. [Alias' note: AND partition the hard
    drive]
    : 5. reboot with XP CD.
    : 6. Run setup.
    :
    : As opposed to
    :
    : 1. Boot with XP CD.
    : 2. Run setup.
    :
    : Easier? :cool:
    : --
    : Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    :
    : http://michaelstevenstech.com
    : For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
    : http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

    XP can create partitions? I didn't know that. Can it write zeros to the
    drive too? Once you have the floppy made, you can use it again and you can
    use it to check your hard drive's health, etc. Handy things to have :)
    --
    Alias

    Use the Reply to Sender function of your news reader program to email me.
    :
    :
    : "Alias" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : >
    : > "dev" <> wrote
    : >
    : > :
    : > : "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    : > : news:...
    : > : > The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    : > : > to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    : > : > Windows XP to partition and format your drive:
    : > : >
[...]
    : > --
    : > Alias
    : >

    Alias, Dec 28, 2004
  11. dev

    ByTor Guest

    In article <>,
    , Michael Stevens says...

    > Why is that easier?

    Because he got in trouble like that in the first place. The utility disk
    is much easier and in all instances a quick "low" level will wipe the
    first & last section of the drive thereby eliminating any residual
    traces of MBR......Also to some it is confusing to use the XP setup no?
    Especially when you are dealing with deleting Primaries &
    logicals..........Hence why I suggested the HD utility disk, ONE step
    with a lot less confusion.......

    ByTor, Dec 28, 2004
  12. dev

    ByTor Guest

    In article <O$>, ,
    dev says...

    > "ByTor" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Anybody who can advise me how to do a simple clean sweep format I would
    > >> be
    > >> most appreciative

    > > I sometimes find it's just easier, without 3rd party partitioning
    > > software, to just get the utility disk for your type Hdrive and quick
    > > low level the drive........This will wipe it NO matter what's on the
    > > drive.....After you're done boot to your OS CD & let the setup format
    > > your HD...........
    > >

    > Hi That is fine, I have nothing that needs to be really destroyed for
    > security reasons only I want to make sure I wipe away any mistakes of my
    > meddling or any viruses that have gotten onto it, I just want the knowledge
    > that I am starting from the best possible installation of windows XP now
    > that I have found my way around it.
    >
    > what do you mean by getting the utlity disc for your type H drive?
    >
    > Any ideas where I can find the easiest possible method of doing what you
    > suggest, it sounds like that is all that is needed, just a general format
    > would be fine.

    Sorry I abbreviated Harddrive if that's what confused ya. I take it you
    seen Alias's post, find out what Harddrive make you have than just get
    the utility disk to format it. I'm only suggesting the utility disk
    because it will wipe the drive clean with "less" confusion. It's not
    really for security reasons just ease......Plus you had two instances of
    an OS so low leveling will removes all traces of the MBR also so
    hopefully your next install will be easy & troublefree.........

    If all of this is rough than boot to your OS CD & give it a shot again.
    It will list each partition on the HD. Just be careful if you have more
    than 1 HD, if not than just delete each partition you see on that one
    drive.

    ByTor, Dec 28, 2004
  13. dev

    Bob I Guest

    Try "diskpart" on the command line

    Bob I, Dec 28, 2004
  14. dev

    Ken Blake Guest

    In news:,
    dev <> typed:

    > IN case you are wondering why I want to reinstall so fast the
    > reason
    > is as follows: On my old Pentium 2, 98Se allways as a last
    > resort if
    > there was any problem or anything I could just do a fresh
    > install,
    > and it allways without fail solved whatever problem existed.
    > This
    > saved countless hours of problem solving.
    >
    > I wish to have the same knowledge and the same ability with
    > Windows
    > XP. If that make sense. So the sooner I have learnt how to do a
    > fresh
    > install the more confidence I will have with using my computer
    > as
    > ultimately I can fix any problem.

    Your choice, but I think you have it exactly backwards. Doing a
    clean installation is very easy; there's really no "learning how"
    that's required. It's a step by step process that's always
    exactly the same each time you do it. In a message in this thread
    a few minutes ago, I provided several links that provide that
    sequence of steps. As long as you have those, you know how to do
    it even if you've never done it before.

    But troubleshooting is a skill that takes learning. Exactly what
    you do to find a problem and fix it is different almost every
    time, because the problem is likely to be different. *That's*
    what you need to learn and practive, not clean installing, which
    is trivially easy.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken Blake, Dec 28, 2004
  15. dev

    Dev Guest

    "ByTor" <> wrote in message
    > In article <O$>, ,
    > dev says...
    >

    > Sorry I abbreviated Harddrive if that's what confused ya.

    Oh! Of course how silly of me, yess of course "Hard Drive" :)

    I take it you seen Alias's post, find out what Harddrive make you have
    than just get
    > the utility disk to format it. I'm only suggesting the utility disk
    > because it will wipe the drive clean with "less" confusion. It's not
    > really for security reasons just ease......Plus you had two instances of
    > an OS so low leveling will removes all traces of the MBR also so
    > hopefully your next install will be easy & troublefree.........
    >
    > If all of this is rough than boot to your OS CD & give it a shot again.
    > It will list each partition on the HD. Just be careful if you have more
    > than 1 HD, if not than just delete each partition you see on that one
    > drive.

    All has worked out now, it did take me a few installations to get it all ok,
    but now seems to be running like a dream.

    Thanks for all your inputs!!

    Dev, Dec 29, 2004
  16. dev

    Dev Guest

    "ByTor" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > , Michael Stevens says...
    >
    >> Why is that easier?

    > Because he got in trouble like that in the first place. The utility disk
    > is much easier and in all instances a quick "low" level will wipe the
    > first & last section of the drive thereby eliminating any residual
    > traces of MBR......Also to some it is confusing to use the XP setup no?
    > Especially when you are dealing with deleting Primaries &
    > logicals..........Hence why I suggested the HD utility disk, ONE step
    > with a lot less confusion.......

    Hi Tor,

    The thing is that people like me who are real power uses, can perhaps work
    it out but as with this instance it took me three goes of installing windows
    xp, if I had the "one step method" I think I would have preferred that.

    Just install and zap then pop in the windows xp disc would have been good.

    I do think that configuring a computer is not as easy as people tend to
    think.

    Thanks again for your input

    Dev, Dec 29, 2004
  17. dev

    Dev Guest

    ..

    > But troubleshooting is a skill that takes learning. Exactly what you do to
    > find a problem and fix it is different almost every time, because the
    > problem is likely to be different. *That's* what you need to learn and
    > practive, not clean installing, which is trivially easy.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hi Ken,

    I agree with you 100%. I am learning, but it is not an easy task and by no
    means is it something you can do overnight.

    Dev, Dec 29, 2004
  18. dev

    Dev Guest

    "Ken Blake" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > dev <> typed:
    >
    >> Hi, I have just migrated from windows 98 running on a dan pentium 2.
    >>
    >> I now have a dell 4700 and I want to do a fresh install, but I can't
    >> work out how to delete and clean the entire system and do a fresh
    >> install in the same way.

    > I am hardly ever in favor of doing this, but if you insist:
    > Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if necessary
    > to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean installation
    > (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when prompted, then create
    > a new one).
    >
    > You can find detailed instructions here:
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    >
    > or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm
    >
    > or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    Thanks Ken,

    I would tend to use it as a last resort.

    Dev, Dec 29, 2004
  19. Alias wrote:
    >> "Michael Stevens" <> wrote
    >>
    >>> Why is that easier?
    >>> It is an alternate method, but not easier.
    >>>
    >>> 1. Search for floppy image on web site.
    >>> 2. Make floppy disk.
    >>> 3. boot with floppy disk utility.
    >>> 4. run utility to wipe hard drive. [Alias' note: AND partition the
    >>> hard

    >> drive]
    >>> 5. reboot with XP CD.
    >>> 6. Run setup.
    >>>
    >>> As opposed to
    >>>
    >>> 1. Boot with XP CD.
    >>> 2. Run setup.
    >>>
    >>> Easier? :cool:
    >>> --
    >>> Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    >>>
    >>> http://michaelstevenstech.com
    >>> For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
    >>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

    >> XP can create partitions? I didn't know that.

    Yes, any size you want.

    >> Can it write zeros to the
    >> drive too?

    Not necessary in the OP's situation. Nothing important on the hard drive to
    wipe out securely.

    >> Once you have the floppy made, you can use it again and you can
    >> use it to check your hard drive's health, etc. Handy things to have
    >> :)

    I agree, but that doesn't make it easier does it?

    You boot from the CD and do a clean install.
    Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser address bar.
    How to clean install XP.
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

    Michael Stevens, Dec 29, 2004
  20. ByTor wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > , Michael Stevens says...
    >
    >> Why is that easier?

    > Because he got in trouble like that in the first place. The utility
    > disk is much easier and in all instances a quick "low" level will
    > wipe the first & last section of the drive thereby eliminating any
    > residual traces of MBR......Also to some it is confusing to use the
    > XP setup no? Especially when you are dealing with deleting Primaries &
    > logicals..........Hence why I suggested the HD utility disk, ONE step
    > with a lot less confusion.......

    And since he got in trouble doing a simple boot from CD install, what makes
    you think they would have an easier time with the utility? :cool:

    I just don't see it as easier, but it is a viable option.
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

    http://michaelstevenstech.com

    Michael Stevens, Dec 29, 2004