    years back, and I can't work out how to calculate the price we need to charge
    in order to make the right margins.

    A younger memory will solve this in seconds, I know, so please lend a hand.

    Tilburyboozer, Nov 4, 2008

  2. Rearranging GP = 1-(cost price/selling price) gives
    selling price = cost price /(1- GP)
    The word 'maths' suggests UK - I got my 'O' level math in 1954!
    So please check this with some data
    I wonder if I ever visited your Tilbury pub
    best wishes from Canada
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    Microsoft Excel MVP

    Bernard Liengme, Nov 4, 2008

  3. Tilburyboozer

    Gordon Guest

    > We have a pub, and we really need to keep a close watch on profit margins.
    > have a formula for calculating the GP from nett cost and selling prices [
    > which is 1-(cost price/sales price) ] but my maths lessons are nearly 50
    > years back, and I can't work out how to calculate the price we need to
    > charge
    > in order to make the right margins.
    >
    > A younger memory will solve this in seconds, I know, so please lend a
    > hand.

    Not sure where you have got this formula from as a recently retired
    Management Accountant it makes no sense at all!

    The formula you need is a re-arrangement of this:

    GP=SP-COS.
    In other words what you want to calculate SP is SP = GP + COS

    where GP=Gross Profit, SP= Selling Price and COS= Cost Of Sales.

    COS is usually the direct cost to you of your goods for sale, but may
    contain other items such as direct labour (bar staff etc etc)

    HTH

    Gordon, Nov 4, 2008
  4. Tilburyboozer

    Gordon Guest

    "Bernard Liengme" <> wrote in message
    > Rearranging GP = 1-(cost price/selling price) gives
    > selling price = cost price /(1- GP)

    I don't know where the OP got this from. As a recently retired Management
    Accountant I have NEVER seen it expressed that way and in fact have
    considerable doubts that it would give the correct answer!

    the proper way is this:

    GP = SP - COS (Cost of Sales)
    No division there anywhere!

    Gordon, Nov 4, 2008
  5. Tilburyboozer

    Roger Govier Guest

    Hi

    I believe what the OP is referring to Gross Price not Gross Profit. He wants
    to know how to calculate the Sale price he needs to achieve a given level of
    Gross Profit percentage.
    The formula that Bernard gave him is correct, but GP in the formula must be
    expressed as a percentage figure.

    With the level of Gross Profit expressed as a % in cell A1, e.g 45%
    Enter the title for the Product in A2 downward e.g. Bitter, Lager, Gin,
    Whisky etc
    Cost price for each Product in B2 downward,
    then enter in C2
    =B2/(1-$A$1)
    and copy down as far as required.

    Column C will give the Gross Price he needs to sell each product for, in
    order to achieve the Percentage as expressed in cell A1

    --
    Regards
    Roger Govier

    Roger Govier, Nov 4, 2008
  6. His formula amounts to (Sell price - Cost price)/Sell price
    So it is the percentage of the Selling price that is profit, I would think
    But then I'm a chemist
    best wishes

    Bernard Liengme, Nov 4, 2008
  7. Tilburyboozer

    > His formula amounts to (Sell price - Cost price)/Sell price
    > So it is the percentage of the Selling price that is profit, I would think
    > But then I'm a chemist
    > best wishes

    The OP didn't mention GP PERCENT.........

    Gordon, Nov 4, 2008
  8. Tilburyboozer

    Roger Govier Guest

    Well, only the OP can answer what he really wanted.
    But, from all the pub landlords I know, they all %GP being the % margin on
    Sales.
    What the OP asked for, was how can he calculate his selling price, from his
    cost and GP.
    In those circumstances, I believe the interpretation I made is correct - but
    who knows!!!

    --
    Regards
    Roger Govier

    Roger Govier, Nov 4, 2008
  9. Tilburyboozer

    Gordon Guest

    "Roger Govier" <roger@technology4unospamdotcodotuk> wrote in message
    > Well, only the OP can answer what he really wanted.
    > But, from all the pub landlords I know, they all %GP being the % margin on
    > Sales.
    > What the OP asked for, was how can he calculate his selling price, from
    > his cost and GP.
    > In those circumstances, I believe the interpretation I made is correct -
    > but who knows!!!

    The point being, that if the OP uses SP = GP + CP, then he KNOWS how the
    three inter-relate in an accounting scenario, which is what he's in. The
    1-(GP/CP), although it may produce the correct answer is NOT an accounting
    function, it's an arithmetical function....

    Gordon, Nov 4, 2008
  10. Tilburyboozer

    Roger Govier Guest

    I am going to give up on this futile argument (as Accountants are always
    right, aren't they<bg>), but since when has
    SP = GP + CP
    not been an arithmetical function?
    All accounting is based on arithmetical functions.

    --
    Regards
    Roger Govier

    Roger Govier, Nov 4, 2008
  11. No and it you asked him for "a pint" he would serve you beer without you
    mentioning it!
    Look at his equation - it obviously a ratio calculation.

    Bernard Liengme, Nov 4, 2008
  12. Tilburyboozer

    DonMiguel

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    MONTHLY FINANCIAL FORMULA:

    Target SP (selling price) = VC(viariable cost) + FC(fix cost)

    Example:

    IF: VC is (includes the Staff Salary, labour, electric, water, gas, venture Food & Beverages)

    SP = VC ($100,000) + FC (RENT-$20,000, OWN SALARY-$20,000, TAX-$5,000)

    SP = $100,000 + $45,000

    Selling Price = $145,000 / MO.

    To Get the TARGET Daily GPA(Gross Profit Ave.) :

    GP = SP / (No. of Days / Mo.)

    GP = $145 / 30 Days

    Target GP = $4.83 / Day

    * Now make a feasibility study on how you can reach your Daily GP Target.
    Do you need to adjust on your EXPENSES?
    Do you need to get NEW COMPETITIVE IDEAS to increase your MARKET?

    Goodluck :thumb: Focus, Be Resourceful, Get Ideas, Study, Act Act and Act,
    Set & Accomplish your GOALS Everyday ! Make your DREAM a Reality!:cheers:

    -Don Miguel Zobel de Ayala
    Successful Business Man (Net Profit 2Million / Year)
    20% of my income goes for the Church, Poor and Less fortunate.:D

    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    DonMiguel, Feb 10, 2012
  13. Tilburyboozer

    SimpleBusiness man