    ideas on what I can do to fix this so my homepage doesnt
    keep changing?

    Armando

    Armando, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Armando

    mac Guest

    "Armando" <> wrote in message
    news:137b01c3a26b$750e07c0$...
    > I'm running Internet Explorer and everytime I reboot my
    > computer the homepage gets changed to Searchdot.com. I've
    > ran Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy along with
    > attempting to go file by file in an attempt to delete
    > whatever was causing this. I'm running ME as my OS, any
    > ideas on what I can do to fix this so my homepage doesnt
    > keep changing?
    >
    > Armando

    "Some ISP's provide a customised version of IE. Some Web pages will also
    reset your home page and do this. One of the customisations they might make
    is to disable the ability to change the home page, so that you are forced to
    use their home page. You can re-enable this by making a small change in the
    Windows registry.

    In Regedit, navigate to this key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control
    Panel

    In the right-hand pane, right-click the "HomePage" value, then select
    Modify. Change it to: 00 00 00 00

    Also change either or these to zero 0 instead of 1 if present:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explo
    rer] - DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Restrictions] - DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001

    If you don't have this key, browse to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

    and in the right hand pane, double click "Local Page" and set equal to
    "C:\WINDOWS\System\blank.htm" (no quotes) which will hopefully set your Home
    Page to blank and then allow you to subsequently modify it using Internet
    Options.

    Exit regedit and reboot.

    When you reboot, you should be able to change the home page again.

    Some pages will also download a program which keeps changing it back. Go to
    Start | Run and type:
    msconfig
    and press <Enter> or click OK. Go to the Startup tab.
    See if you can identify any suspicious programs. If you can, uncheck it, If
    you can't, change the home page to what you want and then uncheck one and
    then reboot. Try IE. If the Web page changed, change it back and then try
    msconfig again, rechecking the last one and unchecking the next. Keep doing
    this until you find the culprit.

    mac, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Armando

    Guest

    did you ever get an answer to your problem, seems like i
    have the same thing? Bob

    , Nov 4, 2003
  4. Armando

    Mike Burgess Guest

    Armando,
    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    Mike Burgess [MVP Windows Shell\User] http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
    Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 11-04-03]
    Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid

    Mike Burgess, Nov 4, 2003
  5. Armando

    Mike Burgess Guest

    Bob,
    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    Mike Burgess [MVP Windows Shell\User] http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
    Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 11-04-03]
    Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid
    --

    "" <> wrote in
    message news:098501c3a26e$64f66f00$...

    Mike Burgess, Nov 4, 2003