    network as well as file sharing?

    Thanks in advance.

    Bob

    Bob Jones, Apr 18, 2010

  2. Bob Jones

    Lem Guest

    Bob Jones wrote:
    > I have a PC running XP Pro and a notebook running XP Home.They are connected
    > with a RJ-45 crossover network cable.
    >
    > I run the wizard on both ends and the network works fine.Over a period of
    > days I can boot up the notebook and I have limited connectivity (PC is up
    > and running).I run repair on the nic card and it says unable to renew the IP
    > address.
    >
    > After much experimenting I must re-run the wizard on the PC and run repair
    > on the notebook to re-establish the network.When I re-run the wizard the
    > original check marks have changed and I have to re-check them.
    >
    > Also can anyone point me to simple docs on setting up and maintaining this
    > network as well as file sharing?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bob

    Forget the wizard.

    Assuming that the only network connections you have are via the
    cross-over cable,

    1. In Network Connections, right-click on the icon for your Local Area
    Connection, select Properties, on the "General" tab select the entry for
    "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and click the Properties button.

    2. Click the radio button to "Use the following IP address"

    3. On computer 1, enter the following IP address and subnet mask:
    192.168.1.1
    255.255.255.0

    4. On computer 2, enter the following IP address and subnet mask:
    192.168.1.2
    255.255.255.0

    5. OK your way out.

    You can, of course, use any 2 IP addresses in the following ranges,
    *as long as they are in the same subnet*

    192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255
    172.16.0.0 through 172.31.255.255
    10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255

    But assuming that you don't understand subnet masks and what it means to
    "be in the same subnet," stick with the values I suggested.

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

    Lem, Apr 18, 2010

  3. Bob Jones

    Lem Guest

    Bob Jones wrote:
    > I have a PC running XP Pro and a notebook running XP Home.They are connected
    > with a RJ-45 crossover network cable.
    >
    > I run the wizard on both ends and the network works fine.Over a period of
    > days I can boot up the notebook and I have limited connectivity (PC is up
    > and running).I run repair on the nic card and it says unable to renew the IP
    > address.
    >
    > After much experimenting I must re-run the wizard on the PC and run repair
    > on the notebook to re-establish the network.When I re-run the wizard the
    > original check marks have changed and I have to re-check them.
    >
    > Also can anyone point me to simple docs on setting up and maintaining this
    > network as well as file sharing?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bob

    File sharing ... modified slightly from MS-MVP Malke's advice:

    File/printer sharing

    Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
    caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including
    a stateful firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls
    such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or
    3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup
    machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not
    permit it.

    A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
    (LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
    File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
    Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
    "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
    aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
    "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
    firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
    configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
    subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS;
    CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

    B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup.
    This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

    C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do
    not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
    passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
    accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT
    NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a
    machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
    account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
    work for both XP and Vista:

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

    D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
    Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

    E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    home directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside
    those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents
    folder.

    F. After you have file sharing working (and have tested this by
    exchanging a file between all machines), if you want to share a printer
    connected locally to one of your computers, share it out from that
    machine. Then go to the printer mftr.'s website and download the latest
    drivers for the correct operating system(s). Install them on the target
    machine(s). The printer should be seen during the installation routine.
    If it is not, install the drivers and then use the Add Printer Wizard.
    In some instances, certain printers need to be installed as Local
    printers but that is outside of this response.

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:

    Lem, Apr 18, 2010