Home CCTV

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Before I go into detail, anyone with a bit of knowledge I could tap into?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Flops is probs your best point of knowledge on this at a guess. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've installed a few systems in schools and have the latest trade catalogues but I'm far from an 'expert'. If I can offer advice, I will.

My supplier: System Q. They do good prices but you'll need to register and tell them you're trade to access the site.

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Flops is probs your best point of knowledge on this at a guess. :)

Thank you!

I've installed a few systems in schools and have the latest trade catalogues but I'm far from an 'expert'. If I can offer advice, I will.

My supplier: System Q. They do good prices but you'll need to register and tell them you're trade to access the site.

Well, I guess you'll do!

I have been tasked to come up with a cctv system, only one camera required, to be fitted in a new gym at my rugby club.
Our alarm company are fitting a fob access system on the door and had quoted us £900 for a cctv system. We decided against the CCTV option.

I'm sure I, being relativly competant, could, with some advice, fit a camera and link it to the Lap top?(which is used for the fob access software) or dedicated recorder? and link Lap top to that?.

Is it a relativly simple wiring job?, special software?, etc.

A lot of questions, but i'm a virgin:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Questions:

1) Recording required? If yes, presumably 7 days then wipe and restart?
2) Usual method is for camera (s) to feed a digital recorder which can be networked to a computer. Length of recording determined by size of hard disk.
3) Area covered by camera in darkness overnight? If so so nightview camera required or infrared lamp.
4) Camera fixed position or zoom/pan&tilt remote required?
5) Can somebody at your club run the cable from camera to recorder? Just clips required or trunking for neatness.
6) Wireless cameras/receivers are now economically viable but still a helluva lot more expensive than cabled.

Off the top of my head you will need:

Camera
Camera bracket
Infra red light or nightview camera option
Cable & clips/trunking
Camera PSU (or if camera sited near a mains socket, no need).
Digital video recorder (This is the most expensive part).
CCTV software (this often comes with the recorder).

If you like I can phone my contact at System Q and ask for suggestions, just lately they have been canvassing me a great deal as business is slack and as a previous customer they keep trying to sell me stuff.

Don't be tempted to buy a cheapo system from a cash & carry warehouse, their systems are pretty crap, stick to a professional supplier.

We can do better than £900, I'm sure, a lot of that cost will be labour.

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Questions:

1) Recording required? If yes, presumably 7 days then wipe and restart?

Yes, 7 days is fine.

2) Usual method is for camera (s) to feed a digital recorder which can be networked to a computer. Length of recording determined by size of hard disk.

OK. Networing just a cable I assume?

3) Area covered by camera in darkness overnight? If so so nightview camera required or infrared lamp.

Gym has motion sensor lighting, No really for security in regards to burglery more for checking up that anyone using the gym is a paid up member/member bringing in no members etc.
Motion sensor camera...is that an option?. Nightview/infrared not essential, but may be useful depending on cost.

4) Camera fixed position or zoom/pan&tilt remote required?

Fixed

5) Can somebody at your club run the cable from camera to recorder? Just clips required or trunking for neatness.

Me, I guess :blush:

6) Wireless cameras/receivers are now economically viable but still a helluva lot more expensive than cabled.

Not bothered about the asthetics, cost is what matters to the club committee!

Off the top of my head you will need:

Camera
Camera bracket
Infra red light or nightview camera option
Cable & clips/trunking
Camera PSU (or if camera sited near a mains socket, no need).We can hard wire or fit socet near.
Digital video recorder (This is the most expensive part).
CCTV software (this often comes with the recorder).

If you like I can phone my contact at System Q and ask for suggestions, just lately they have been canvassing me a great deal as business is slack and as a previous customer they keep trying to sell me stuff.

Don't be tempted to buy a cheapo system from a cash & carry warehouse, their systems are pretty crap, stick to a professional supplier.

We can do better than £900, I'm sure, a lot of that cost will be labour.

That would be very kind of you flopps, would need some spec and, more importantly, costs to put to the the committee.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, I think I have enough info to price up, I'll speak to suppliers on Monday. If I can work something out myself in the meantime however, I'll get back to you.

Cameras are powered either by mains (240V AC) 24V DC or 12V DC. So either they plug straight into a close proximity mains socket or are powered remotely by 12 or 24 volts. As video cable has to be run from camera to recorder the supply voltage is usually run with this and cable is available that has video signal and voltage cable combined, it's not too expensive either.

I need to know how long cable run is from camera to recorder, and recorder, ideally, needs to be close by to laptop cos yes, just a network cable required between the two. When you work out length of cable, always allow about 20% more than you measure, ok?

One more thought - would you require facility to burn a section of recorded footage in case police need evidence of naughties? If so, I'll add cost of suitable DVDRW.

Leave it with me.

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Ok, I think I have enough info to price up, I'll speak to suppliers on Monday. If I can work something out myself in the meantime however, I'll get back to you.

Cameras are powered either by mains (240V AC) 24V DC or 12V DC. So either they plug straight into a close proximity mains socket or are powered remotely by 12 or 24 volts. As video cable has to be run from camera to recorder the supply voltage is usually run with this and cable is available that has video signal and voltage cable combined, it's not too expensive either.

I need to know how long cable run is from camera to recorder, and recorder, ideally, needs to be close by to laptop cos yes, just a network cable required between the two. When you work out length of cable, always allow about 20% more than you measure, ok?

One more thought - would you require facility to burn a section of recorded footage in case police need evidence of naughties? If so, I'll add cost of suitable DVDRW.

Leave it with me.

Mains connection for the camera, ideally.

Estimated distance between camera and recorder 4 to 5 metres but will check more acuratly when I know where the camera will have to be placed to be effective.

This is the laptop the club has bought, http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/toshiba-satellite-c660-1ld-15-6-laptop-11884708-pdt.html , to run the Door Fob entery system, and that will sit next to the hard drive in the gym.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hi Jay, haven't forgotten you, have been a bit pre-disposed with one thing and another this week but staying at home tomorrow for two parcel deliveries so will call supplier in morning. If the cable is no more than five metres I may be able to send you an off cut for postage only.

I need to know the shape of the area covered by the camera, presumably it's oblong shaped and the length of the area from camera to far wall. Mains cameras thin on the ground but that's ok, you can use a psu and the cable has both twin core (power cables) and video cable combined.

Do you have a monitor? Any screen with a VGA input will do. If so that'll save a few pennies.

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Hi Jay, haven't forgotten you, have been a bit pre-disposed with one thing and another this week but staying at home tomorrow for two parcel deliveries so will call supplier in morning.

No problem mate.

If the cable is no more than five metres I may be able to send you an off cut for postage only.

Very kind Sir, when I know, I'll let you know.

I need to know the shape of the area covered by the camera, presumably it's oblong shaped and the length of the area from camera to far wall.
Mains cameras thin on the ground but that's ok, you can use a psu and the cable has both twin core (power cables) and video cable combined.

It's basically square shaped and camera to far wall will be approx 9m.

Do you have a monitor? Any screen with a VGA input will do. If so that'll save a few pennies.

Will utilise the laptop linked to the door entry system to view the footage.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, £250.00 plus postage from myself to you plus VAT @ 20%.
(Which would total about £320 inclusive)

For that you get:

The 4 channel recorder plus software that will interface via laptop via ethernet
Wide angle lens dome camera
Power supply for camera plus easy to make DC connectors
Bag of cable clips
Bag of 10 twist on BNC connectors
Two CCTV wall warning stickers
One CCTV warning window sticker

The recorder is viewable from laptop, network and internet
You will need to add a hard drive to the recorder, minimum size is 500Gb for highest quality seven day stop/start recording.
Footage can be burnt on laptop's DVDRW or for a recorder with built in DVDRW add £30 plus VAT.
Have suggested twist on BNC plugs as then no need for crimp tool. If you want traditional BNC plugs that need crimping crimp tool is £20 + VAT
This suggestion assuming I have an offcut of cable to suit.
Also assuming no night time lighting capability required. If so, then 'see-in-the-dark' cameras are available or infrared lighting.
Could deliver to you within 3 to 4 working days of receipt of bank transfer.

Total price including hard drive (supplied by you), postage and VAT will be aprox £400.00

Any questions ask away.

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Ok, £250.00 plus postage from myself to you plus VAT @ 20%.
(Which would total about £320 inclusive)

For that you get:

The 4 channel recorder plus software that will interface via laptop via ethernet
Wide angle lens dome camera
Power supply for camera plus easy to make DC connectors
Bag of cable clips
Bag of 10 twist on BNC connectors
Two CCTV wall warning stickers
One CCTV warning window sticker

The recorder is viewable from laptop, network and internet
You will need to add a hard drive to the recorder, minimum size is 500Gb for highest quality seven day stop/start recording.
Footage can be burnt on laptop's DVDRW or for a recorder with built in DVDRW add £30 plus VAT.
Have suggested twist on BNC plugs as then no need for crimp tool. If you want traditional BNC plugs that need crimping crimp tool is £20 + VAT
This suggestion assuming I have an offcut of cable to suit.
Also assuming no night time lighting capability required. If so, then 'see-in-the-dark' cameras are available or infrared lighting.
Could deliver to you within 3 to 4 working days of receipt of bank transfer.

Total price including hard drive (supplied by you), postage and VAT will be aprox £400.00

Any questions ask away.

Thanks FBS, for your help in all this.
We wouldn't be looking for anything over and above the minimum requirements, so approx £250 + VAT, plus postage and the cost of a 500g HD, would be the costings?
That being so, I will now put it to the committee....we should get a decision in the next 6 to 8 months!

Ask a Question