    much quicker. How much money am I looking at to add a card with a couple of
    USB ports? Are the cables the same for USB 1 and 2? What are your thoughts
    on this?

    RReznikoff, Sep 4, 2004

  2. RReznikoff

    Prosebc Guest

    >Is there a scanner for under $100. that can quickly scan documents and
    >photos? My computer has two USB1 ports. I understand that a USB2 port is
    >much quicker.

    I would stay away from Canon. I bought a new Lide-30 and it quickly quit
    working. I took someone's advice in this newsgroup and downloaded a program
    called VueScan and VueScan is the only thing that will make the screwy Canon
    scanner work. On top of that, Canon has not mailed me my rebate and it has been
    almost 3 months. I checked Canon's rebate service and they say the rebate is on
    the way, but I wonder what route it is taking because I could have walked
    around the world a few times since the first time they told me the rebate is on
    the way. I don't trust Canon because they don't honor their rebates and their
    scanner won't work without VueScan. Although, I must be honest and say that the
    Lide30 scanner works great now that I've got it going with the VueScan
    software, and the scanner only cost $70.00. I did some Google searching and
    found that a lot of people are having the same trouble with Canon Lide series
    scanners working a short while then quitting, and apparently the easiest way to
    get them going again is to install VueScan, and since doing so I haven't had a
    bit of trouble with it. Now if I could just get Canon to send my rebate...

    Prosebc, Sep 4, 2004

  3. RReznikoff

    lostinspace Guest

    lostinspace, Sep 4, 2004
  4. You might try looking at the HP Scanjet 4600.
    Try this URL for a description:
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ho/WF06b/15179-64195-215155-15202-f25-303776-303778-303780.html
    My daughter just bought one from Staples for just under $100.00
    I have used it on her computer and the scanner should work fine for what you
    want to do with it. It scans an 8.5:x11" document very quickly on my
    daughters Dell computer.

    She had no problems installing on her computer using USB-2 port.
    The specification sheet says:
    Connectivity, std.
    1 Hi-Speed USB (compatible with USB 2.0 specifications)

    HP should be able to tell you if the Scanjet 4600 scanner will work
    satisfactorily on your computer using USB-1 ports.

    My old scanner was a Umax Astro 1200S and it was heavy. This HP is very
    light in weight. It also has other features you may or may not like. I like
    it.

    Matthew Dranchak, Sep 4, 2004
  5. "RReznikoff" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Is there a scanner for under $100. that can quickly scan documents and
    > photos? My computer has two USB1 ports. I understand that a USB2 port is
    > much quicker. How much money am I looking at to add a card with a couple of
    > USB ports? Are the cables the same for USB 1 and 2? What are your thoughts
    > on this?

    I've only just added a scanner, which is the first USB peripheral I've
    had, but you may be misled by that speed issue. Scanning is a relatively
    slow process, it being mechanical. The carriage of the scanner can
    only go so fast, and won't speed up within a given scanner. That's
    probably the limiting factor well before the issue of bus speed. IN other
    words, unless you get a really fast scanner, the level of USB won't matter
    because you'll be waiting for the page to scan.

    So the speed of the scanner is important if you want to scan fast.

    Micahel

    Michael Black, Sep 6, 2004