Windows Vista high CPU usage

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
feels a little odd posting in the vista section lol

basically i was using one of my sisters laptops which is runnin vista home basic and i noticed that the battey drained in under an hour from full charge and it was running quite hot, so had a look in task manager and svchost.exe is using 50% cpu all the time!

done multiple virus, adaware, trojan scans etc and found nothing of any real concern but it still remains running at 50% load permanently because of svchost.exe

anyone got any ideas as to what could be causing it ? i've tried googling and cant find any answers

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i think i may have found the culprit, she has windvd 8 pre installed and i found a update/registration manager in the services which i've disabled and it seems to have worked

although even with all the power saving features on and the CPU at 800Mhz its still only estimating 1.5hours battery life which i find quite shocking

i'll give that a crack tomorrow when i get a chance :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Using a DVD player or having the screen brightness on high really challenges my laptop battery - if I turn the screen brightness down a notch it lasts much longer :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
there are no running apps, just the few in the background (the startup list was rediculously long but i've got it down to about 5 items now) the brightness is on the lowest i can get it to and the battery life is still rubbish

Ask a Question