Hidden Outlook reminders

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Calendar' started by Lindsay Graham, Feb 23, 2010.

  1. My wife has Outlook 2003 under Windows XP. When she had Outlook 2000
    (or 2002, I'm not sure), each reminder arrived in its own pop-up window,
    but in Outlook 2003, they appear only in the taskbar (and therefore tend
    not to get noticed) and several reminders are grouped together. I've
    read all the recent threads on this topic, and share the frustration of
    those who just cannot understand why MS would remove the option to have
    pop-up reminders.

    In several threads, jmaxon wrote:
    "This is annoying me as well. It appears to be an issue with Windows 7
    (Win7), not Outlook. By default, Win7 combines the taskbar buttons. By
    doing so the Reminder gets embedded into the "grouping" behind the
    Outlook icon. This makes the reminder difficult to notice.

    "If you change the "Taskbar buttons" setting under the "Taskbar and
    Start Menu Properties" to "Never combine," then the grouping separates
    and the reminder pops-up in front of whatever else you have open.

    "I'm hoping that Microsoft comes up with a fix for this, as I'm sure
    more and more people are going to become annoyed."

    Is there a similar solution in Outlook 2003/Win XP?

    Lindsay Graham
    Canberra, Australia

    Lindsay Graham, Feb 23, 2010

  2. On 23 Feb 2010 at 12:30, Lindsay Graham wrote:
    > My wife has Outlook 2003 under Windows XP. When she had Outlook 2000
    > (or 2002, I'm not sure), each reminder arrived in its own pop-up window,
    > but in Outlook 2003, they appear only in the taskbar (and therefore tend
    > not to get noticed) and several reminders are grouped together. I've
    > read all the recent threads on this topic, and share the frustration of
    > those who just cannot understand why MS would remove the option to have
    > pop-up reminders.
    >
    > In several threads, jmaxon wrote:
    > "This is annoying me as well. It appears to be an issue with Windows 7
    > (Win7), not Outlook. By default, Win7 combines the taskbar buttons. By
    > doing so the Reminder gets embedded into the "grouping" behind the
    > Outlook icon. This makes the reminder difficult to notice.
    >
    > "If you change the "Taskbar buttons" setting under the "Taskbar and
    > Start Menu Properties" to "Never combine," then the grouping separates
    > and the reminder pops-up in front of whatever else you have open.
    >
    > "I'm hoping that Microsoft comes up with a fix for this, as I'm sure
    > more and more people are going to become annoyed."
    >
    > Is there a similar solution in Outlook 2003/Win XP?
    >
    > Lindsay Graham
    > Canberra, Australia

    I've had no replies to this post, but I have done quite a bit of
    research, which unfortunately seems to indicate that there is no
    workaround for this Outlook deficiency. I've seen a *lot* of people
    complaining about Microsoft's decision to change from pop-up to taskbar.

    Has anyone here heard of a workaround? -- I guess I thought the change
    had been so unpopular that someone would have found a way to bring back
    the pop-up option.

    In the absence of a workaround, what is the best way to get the message
    through to Microsoft in the hope that they will do something about it?

    Here's hoping.

    Lindsay

    Lindsay Graham, Feb 25, 2010

  3. Lindsay Graham

    barry Guest

    Does anyone from Microsoft read these issues? What is the workaround for
    this? Will this issue be fixed?

    I'm tired of missing meetings/conf calls because the reminders are not
    working. I guess they are "working" but are hidden behind windows... thus
    I'm not reminded.

    This is VERY poor design.

    barry, Apr 21, 2010
  4. Lindsay Graham

    Bob I Guest

    Answer to the first question is no, this is a public newsgroup populated
    by users helping users. If you want to find out directly what Microsoft
    has to say you will need to contact their tech support.

    Bob I, Apr 21, 2010
  5. In Outlook 2003 and later the reminders are in a single window. The reminder
    window comes up on the screen but doesn't always take focus if you are busy
    in another program - most users find it annoying when the reminder comes up
    as they are typing.

    If you want the reminder window to come up on the screen, you need to have
    the reminder window in the background, not minimized. When its minimized, it
    will only flash on the task bar.

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Outlook Tips by email:
    mailto:

    mailto:

    New Poll: What type of email account is your main account?

    Diane Poremsky [MVP], Apr 21, 2010
  6. Lindsay Graham

    kevin_ortman

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    kevin_ortman, Jun 17, 2010
  7. Lindsay Graham

    AudreyG

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm having the same problem with Outlook 2010 also. You can download Outlook plugin called Showreminders from sagelamp.com that pops up the reminder window in front.

    good luck
    Audrey

    AudreyG, Mar 4, 2013
  8. Lindsay Graham

    Jose Gabriel

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Same here. Tired of missing meetings because of Outlook reminders. I'm not a big fan of downloading addins but desperately need a solution. I will try out Showreminders from sage.

    Jose

    Jose Gabriel, Mar 12, 2013