Hidden Files and Folders / Content.IE5!?!?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Anne, Sep 13, 2009.

  1. Anne

    Anne Guest

    Okay so I've lost a crucial document that is VERY important for my business.
    I downloaded this file from an email attachment, clicked "open" instead of
    "save as"....edited the document in MS WORD, clicked the save icon, and
    closed it. Now my document is nowhere to be found, locked away in some crazy
    Temp Folder.

    A friend advised me to type in the file path for the Content.IE5 folder, as
    he said this folder wouldn't show up even if you searched and selected "Show
    hidden files and folders". I did this, it opened the folder, which held a
    few other folders, all with very few files in them-- though i definitely did
    not locate the file I was searching for.

    This prompted me to investigate the properties of the main Content.IE5
    folder, which said it contained 5,000 files and 19 folders. I cannot imagine
    why this would be, why there would be so many folders full of unneccesary
    images and files, and I as the computer owner cannot get to them easily. I
    am desperate....Windows support won't help me unless I pay them $60.

    I tried downloading an attachment again, and viewing the document properties
    to locate the filepath -- then typing in the filepath. This helped me to
    find about four of the 19 super hidden folders, but my file was not in any of
    them. PLEASE HELP ME

    Anne, Sep 13, 2009

  2. Anne

    Twayne Guest

    "Anne" <> wrote in message
    > Okay so I've lost a crucial document that is VERY important for my
    > business. I downloaded this file from an email attachment, clicked
    > "open" instead of "save as"....edited the document in MS WORD,
    > clicked the save icon, and closed it. Now my document is nowhere to
    > be found, locked away in some crazy Temp Folder.
    >
    > A friend advised me to type in the file path for the Content.IE5
    > folder, as he said this folder wouldn't show up even if you searched
    > and selected "Show hidden files and folders". I did this, it opened
    > the folder, which held a few other folders, all with very few files
    > in them-- though i definitely did not locate the file I was searching
    > for.
    >
    > This prompted me to investigate the properties of the main Content.IE5
    > folder, which said it contained 5,000 files and 19 folders. I cannot
    > imagine why this would be, why there would be so many folders full of
    > unneccesary images and files, and I as the computer owner cannot get
    > to them easily. I am desperate....Windows support won't help me
    > unless I pay them $60.
    >
    > I tried downloading an attachment again, and viewing the document
    > properties to locate the filepath -- then typing in the filepath.
    > This helped me to find about four of the 19 super hidden folders, but
    > my file was not in any of them. PLEASE HELP ME

    If you still have the e-mail, to two things:
    -- Save it to disk
    -- Open it for editing.
    When you edited and saved it before, you saved it right back to the
    temp files where it was originally placed. And that's what the e-mail
    is going to think is the attachment now. So if you've screwed that up,
    you've lost out for now. But not completely.

    Unless you tell it to delete immediately from the Server, it's still
    there. You might be able to redownload by one of the following:

    If you have webmail, use that; go to your online email at your ISP's
    site and get it from there. Send it to yourself so you'll re-receive it
    again.

    Create a NEW e-mail account in OE on your computer. Make it identical
    to the one that currently you use except give it a different name
    onscreen. Pop & SMTP settings will be the same; all settings will be
    the same. Remember, identical to the one you're using, except a
    different name.

    Now, read your e-mail. Since no emails will have been marked "read" yet,
    and since this is a new account, it will download ALL e-mails to your
    e-mail address. None will look like they've been read or be marked as
    read.
    Find the one with the attachment, SAVE the attachment to disk where
    you know you can find it (Desktop is often a handy place temporarily),
    and close OE.
    If you don't like it on your desktop, figure out where you'd like it
    to be stored, and copy it to that location. Editing on the desktop
    might fill the desktop with all the temporary files editing creates and
    you may not like that. Theoretically they'll all be deleted when you
    close Word, but sometimes not. So give it a permanent home if you wish
    to.
    NOW open the file with Word, if it's a Word file, and do what you
    wish with it.

    If I were you, I'd go back to OE now but rather than throwing away the
    new account you created, just name it as something that makes sense to
    you and hang onto it for future use in case you want to use it again for
    this purpose. For second and ongoing use, it's a nice, fast, efficient
    way to get previously read e-mail to come to you as brand new ones.
    E-mail the main in question to yourself and then IMMEDIATELY, before
    you can download your mail in that account, switch identities back to
    your original one and check the mail so you'll get the one you just sent
    to yourself. Now you have a new virgin copy of that email where you
    expect to find it. Make an OE folder for it, and store it there.
    Then you can switch identities back to the new account again and
    delete the rest of the files there. Do NOT just allow them to sit in
    the Inbox. If you do want to keep some for some reason, make new
    folders in OE and store them there.

    It's a lot of words above but really, it's simple to acomplish and not
    near as complex as it seems in words. Basically all it amounts to is
    creating a new e-mail account for the address you received the
    attachment to and Receiving your emails, pick out the one you wan t, and
    save it to disk.

    HTH,

    Twayne`

    Twayne, Sep 13, 2009

  3. Anne wrote:
    > Okay so I've lost a crucial document that is VERY important for my
    > business. I downloaded this file from an email attachment, clicked
    > "open" instead of "save as"....edited the document in MS WORD,
    > clicked the save icon, and closed it. Now my document is nowhere
    > to be found, locked away in some crazy Temp Folder.
    >
    > A friend advised me to type in the file path for the Content.IE5
    > folder, as he said this folder wouldn't show up even if you
    > searched and selected "Show hidden files and folders". I did
    > this, it opened the folder, which held a few other folders, all
    > with very few files in them-- though i definitely did not locate
    > the file I was searching for.
    >
    > This prompted me to investigate the properties of the main
    > Content.IE5 folder, which said it contained 5,000 files and 19
    > folders. I cannot imagine why this would be, why there would be so
    > many folders full of unneccesary images and files, and I as the
    > computer owner cannot get to them easily. I am
    > desperate....Windows support won't help me unless I pay them $60.
    >
    > I tried downloading an attachment again, and viewing the document
    > properties to locate the filepath -- then typing in the filepath.
    > This helped me to find about four of the 19 super hidden folders,
    > but my file was not in any of them. PLEASE HELP ME

    You've learned a lesson I have had to teach several dozen times over the
    years...

    Before editing a file you receive in an email - save it to a location of
    your choosing for safe keeping and open/edit it from that location. Do not
    merely open it straight from the email *if* your intention is to edit it.
    If you accidentally do open it straight from the attachment on the email -
    be sure to immediately use "save as" at least to locate a suitable location
    for said file instead of the temporary storage area (cache) that it will use
    for it by default.

    It is highly unlikley that "windows support" (Microsoft support I assume you
    mean) will be able to help you - this is not a case of a flaw in the
    operating system or a flaw in the operation of some product you were using -
    but a human mistake. You may have well opened said file straight from its
    attachment location in the email and may have well edited it several times
    and even clicked on "save" several times - but you were saving it to a
    location that is clearly shown as temporary. ("Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5") This is akin to you writing your important document on
    toilet tissue and wondering why it dissolved in water then trying to get
    help from the manufacturer of said toilet paper when you realize what
    happened.. ;-)

    Have you done a thorough search for all *.DOC files on your entire system?
    Did you look through the recently opened documents in Microsoft word
    itself - to see if it still listed it?

    If you have and your file has not shown up (and you have now changed your
    system where you can see system and hidden files) or if it did show up in MS
    word and could not open from there - then the file is gone - likely long
    gone and well overwritten by the many other files that are written to that
    folder during the normal use of Internet Explorer, Outlook/Outlook Express
    and so on.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Sep 13, 2009
  4. Anne

    Twayne Guest

    "Shenan Stanley" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > shown as temporary. ("Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5") This
    > is akin to you writing your important document on toilet tissue and
    > wondering why it dissolved in water then trying to get help from the
    > manufacturer of said toilet paper when you realize what happened.. ;-)
    >
    > Have you done a thorough search for all *.DOC files on your entire
    > system? Did you look through the recently opened documents in
    > Microsoft word itself - to see if it still listed it?
    >
    > If you have and your file has not shown up (and you have now changed
    > your system where you can see system and hidden files) or if it did
    > show up in MS word and could not open from there - then the file is
    > gone - likely long gone and well overwritten by the many other files
    > that are written to that folder during the normal use of Internet
    > Explorer, Outlook/Outlook Express and so on.

    But as long as it hasn't been deleted on the server, it can be
    downloaded again.

    Twyne`

    Twayne, Sep 14, 2009
  5. Anne

    Anne Guest

    Wow - Thank you guys very much for your help. I'm not sure that creating a
    new email account would help, as the problem is not that I've lost the email
    with the attachment....but that the finished file, the file that I edited is
    lost. The attachment file in the email, is only about halfway done-- not the
    completed file. My finished file was edited, then saved....in that crazy
    temp folder. I'm not sure why I could never find it. I even located all
    the files in the Content.IE5 folder by checking "Do Not Hide Important System
    Files and Folders" or somethin to that effect. And even looking through all
    of those folders, I still could not locate my file -- even though I saw
    things in there from a long time before this file was downloaded and saved.
    For the life of me, I do not know why I couldn't find my file.

    I have run a million searches, looked in my recent documents on MS Word,
    looked in hidden files and folders, even the Content.IE5 and all of its
    subfolders and it just isn't there. What a pain .... complete
    meltdown.....I'll be up all night re-doing my edits to the document. Why
    must everything be so difficult.

    Anne, Sep 14, 2009
  6. Anne wrote:
    > Wow - Thank you guys very much for your help. I'm not sure that
    > creating a new email account would help, as the problem is not that
    > I've lost the email with the attachment....but that the finished
    > file, the file that I edited is lost. The attachment file in the
    > email, is only about halfway done-- not the completed file. My
    > finished file was edited, then saved....in that crazy temp folder.
    > I'm not sure why I could never find it. I even located all the
    > files in the Content.IE5 folder by checking "Do Not Hide Important
    > System Files and Folders" or somethin to that effect. And even
    > looking through all of those folders, I still could not locate my
    > file -- even though I saw things in there from a long time before
    > this file was downloaded and saved. For the life of me, I do not
    > know why I couldn't find my file.
    >
    > I have run a million searches, looked in my recent documents on MS
    > Word, looked in hidden files and folders, even the Content.IE5 and
    > all of its subfolders and it just isn't there. What a pain ....
    > complete meltdown.....I'll be up all night re-doing my edits to the
    > document. Why must everything be so difficult.

    Someone suggested a new email account?

    It's not that this was difficult... You merely needed to save your document
    to a location you knew about/could easily get to in the first place. What
    you did was akin to throwing something out the window of a speeding vehicle
    while blindfolded with the radio turned up full blast and expecting to get
    it back later. Sure - you know what highway you were on - but...

    From now on - save the attachment and edit the saved copy - not the one in
    your email.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Sep 14, 2009
  7. Anne

    Anne Guest

    Yeh thanks. Trust me, I understand what has happened.... I even knew when I
    did it .... I knew immediately that I had messed up. I just never imagined
    it would be so hard to recover. I always save things, because I know it
    downloads them to a temporary folder..... I was rushing, and everything was
    hectic....and in clicking the save icon and closing the file I royally
    screwed up. I had hope though --- when I found the Content.IE5 folder, when
    I found the 19 folders within that Content folder....yeh, I was hopeful that
    I would find it in there. But i think it is truly gone, replaced with other
    files...who knows why it isn't there. I just don't know why...when I
    clicked the save icon...it saved it somewhere, it must have. Did it just get
    rid of it?> Replace it with other temp internet downloads, files, and
    pictures....I just feel like.....it saved it...somewhere. Didn't it ?

    Anne, Sep 14, 2009
  8. Anne

    Anteaus Guest

    Get a copy of Altap Salamander (free version will do) set it to show hidden
    files, and try its search capability. This may find the file based on a known
    item of text it contains, even if Windows Search won't.

    http://altap.cz

    Anteaus, Sep 14, 2009
  9. Anne

    Twayne Guest

    Well, unless you've shifted it out of the list, Word would have had the
    file in its list of recently opened files under the File menu down at
    the bottom where it lists the recently used files.
    You seem to be saying the original file attachment is still OK in the
    email.

    The file won't be stored with a recognizable name in the temp files
    folders. You could try a search there for *.doc and see what comes up
    though.

    Otherwise you should probably just start over again and edit the
    original from the e-mail and be sure to do a Save-As and put it where
    you know where it'll be.

    HTH,

    Twayne`

    Twayne, Sep 14, 2009
  10. I use Microsoft Outlook 2002 on XP pro SP3. Don't know if this applies to
    other mail readers or other versions of Windows:

    If I open an attachment (say a .doc) file it gets placed, not in Content.IE5
    or its subfolders (those contain Internet Explorer downloads) but in

    C:\Documents and Settings\my user name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\OLK101 (the numbers after OLK may vary).

    If you can find that folder and you have not cleared your caches, your
    edited file might be there. Here's one way:

    Easiest way I've found to see the full contents of the temporary internet
    files folder is to open diskcleanup (but don't let it clean up). Highlight
    temporary intenet files, click view files. That opens Explorer at the
    Contents.IE5 folder in single pane view. click the folder icon in the
    toolbar to show Explorer in double pane view and you will see all those OLK
    folders in the left pane and be able to examine their contents.
    For convenience I right dragged the icon from Explorer's toolbar to create a
    shortcut on my desktop.

    Jean Rosenfeld, Sep 14, 2009
  11. Jean's solution doesn't work for me - the OLK folders are still invisible!

    To repeat my reply in windows.xpgeneral:

    A brief experiment on my setup (Outlook, XP-Pro)
    reveals that Outlook saves files to the folder "C:\Documents and
    Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK771\". However,
    Explorer shows no such folder. Agent Ransack (google it) can see files in this
    'magic' folder that Explorer can't. Even without Agent Ransack, you may be able
    to access the contents: try opening another word doc from within an email, then
    go to File>Save As, and save with a recognisable simple name in the offered
    folder. Then go to File>Open, and you should see that saved file, and any other
    Word files in the 'magic' folder - your 'lost' one may be there.

    HTH, Martin

    Martin Gerhold, Sep 15, 2009
  12. Are you logged in with admin rights? If you right click on the temporary
    internet files folder (in the Explorer window got through disk cleanup as
    suggested in my previous post) properties, security tab, does your logged in
    account have full control? if not see if giving yourself full control there
    the OLK folders show up after a refresh of the explorer window.

    However, your method also works fine to access at least one of the OLK
    folders (I have two at present, not sure why)

    Jean Rosenfeld, Sep 15, 2009
  13. No admin rights here - I am on a work PC with very restricted access! I shall
    try what you suggest at home... not that I have an problem, I was just trying to
    help, and be ready for when a colleague might have the same issue.

    Lets hope Anne gets lucky!

    Martin Gerhold, Sep 16, 2009
  14. You can get access to your OLK771 folder by using My Computer and go to the
    folder C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files which you will be able to see ok. Then in the address bar at the top
    of the screen type in the name of your Temporary Outlook folder seperated by
    a back slash \OLK771 and press the Enter key and it should open just fine.
    Another alternative would be to just type into the address bar
    "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK771"
    Of coarse in your example you must replace the <user> with your User Profile
    Name.

    Charlie

    Charlie Hathaway, Oct 24, 2009
  15. Anne

    Ragmuffina Guest

    the same happened to me only i've lost coursework due to be sent today. I am
    frantically trying to search the internet trying to find a way to access the
    files.
    ;(

    Ragmuffina, Nov 29, 2009
  16. Ragmuffina wrote:
    > the same happened to me only i've lost coursework due to be sent
    > today. I am frantically trying to search the internet trying to
    > find a way to access the files.
    > ;(

    Did you read the entire conversation you have responded to?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Nov 29, 2009
  17. Anne

    Invictus Guest

    There has been some bad advice here. I just did the same stupid thing and I
    did recover the files.

    1. Go to disk clean-up (I assume you will know how to do this, if not, look
    it up it is easy)
    2. Click on Temporary Internet Files
    3. Click on view files (a window should open with the folder Content.IE5
    4. In that window go to tools
    5. Click Folder options
    6. Click on "Show hidden files and folders" and unclick "hide protected
    operating system files (Recommended)" you will be prompted warning you that
    you shouldn't be looking at system files. click yes.
    7. Now the hidden folders will be displayed
    8. Sort the folders by date
    9. Your file will be in one of the hidden folders that has been modified
    since the time you lost your file. There may be a dozen folders to check.
    Find the one with your file, open the file, save it somewhere smart.

    Invictus, Dec 17, 2009
  18. <another snippage of the entire conversation>
    Read it here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...ity_admin/browse_frm/thread/3bf74fdf601932ca/

    Invictus wrote:
    > There has been some bad advice here. I just did the same stupid
    > thing and I did recover the files.
    >
    > 1. Go to disk clean-up (I assume you will know how to do this, if
    > not, look it up it is easy)
    > 2. Click on Temporary Internet Files
    > 3. Click on view files (a window should open with the folder
    > Content.IE5
    > 4. In that window go to tools
    > 5. Click Folder options
    > 6. Click on "Show hidden files and folders" and unclick "hide
    > protected operating system files (Recommended)" you will be
    > prompted warning you that you shouldn't be looking at system files.
    > click yes.
    > 7. Now the hidden folders will be displayed
    > 8. Sort the folders by date
    > 9. Your file will be in one of the hidden folders that has been
    > modified since the time you lost your file. There may be a dozen
    > folders to check. Find the one with your file, open the file, save
    > it somewhere smart.

    Amazingly lucky. Sometimes the folder is gone.

    The good advice is *always* save and work from the saved document - not the
    one you decided to open from your email attachment directly. Everything
    else is a 'maybe' in terms of keeping this from happening again.

    Recovery was not an option in this case because they *found* the folder with
    everything visible and the document was not there. That's the way it occurs
    at least half of the time - if not more.

    The good advice is not to let that happen. Make saving first in a proper
    location a habit.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Dec 17, 2009
  19. Anne

    Billsebiz Guest

    I found this on WindoesBBS.

    "ise2006--I think a program such as SystemSecuritySuite does a better job of
    deleting the Content.IE5 files including the contents of the index.dat file
    in that folder.
    http://www.igorshpak.net/
    Check "Temporary" under both My Computer and Internet Explorer columns.

    Specific to just seeing the Content.IE5 files, I have the same problem. If
    you type C:\Doc..and Setting\user's name\Local Setting\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5 into the Windows Address line and click Enter, you will get
    there. I created a shortcut just for this purpose.
    There are other ways, but I find this simplest.
    "

    This works and youcan see and modify the contents of Content.IE5 and all of
    the sub-folders.

    Good luck!

    Billsebiz, Feb 27, 2010