    that there was not enough virtual memory.
    I know where to make the adjustment, does anyone know
    what size to set it at?

    Hans, May 5, 2006

  2. Hans

    John John Guest

    What is it set to now? A rule of thumb is to set it at 1.5 times RAM.
    It also a good idea to set the minimum and maximum to the same size,
    this prevents pagefile resizing that can lead to pagefile fragmentation.
    So following these rules of thumb a good size would be 384MB.

    John

    John John, May 5, 2006

  3. Hans

    Hans Guest

    "John John" <> wrote in message
    > What is it set to now? A rule of thumb is to set it at 1.5 times RAM.
    > It also a good idea to set the minimum and maximum to the same size,
    > this prevents pagefile resizing that can lead to pagefile fragmentation.
    > So following these rules of thumb a good size would be 384MB.
    >
    > John

    It's set at 384 min & 768 max.
    Would this be the cause of the problem?
    By the way, the program that gave the alert, was a DVD maker.
    It happened while it was encoding the files, but adjusted itself, and
    finished compiling the files.
    I also have a problem with the PC freezing quite often, could this be
    another thing linked to the virtual memory?
    Many thanks for your help.

    Hans, May 5, 2006
  4. Hans

    DL Guest

    Win2k is happier with 512mb

    DL, May 6, 2006
  5. Hans

    Dan Seur Guest

    1 - Set it to 512 (or larger, if you have space) as DL suggests.
    2 - Set min=max as John suggests.
    3 - Run chkdsk. If it reports errors, run it with the /r parameter.
    4 - Defrag your drive once chkdsk reports no errors.

    If your system still misbehaves, then:

    5 - Run the drive manufacturer's disk diagnostic to see if a hard drive
    problem might be causing your system's freezing/stuttering as well as
    the misbehavio0r you originally wrote about. The diagnostic can be
    downloaded from their website. It runs as a bootable diskette.

    Having done all the above, report results. There is probably no point in
    posting back here before that.

    Hans wrote:

    > "John John" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>What is it set to now? A rule of thumb is to set it at 1.5 times RAM.
    >>It also a good idea to set the minimum and maximum to the same size,
    >>this prevents pagefile resizing that can lead to pagefile fragmentation.
    >> So following these rules of thumb a good size would be 384MB.
    >>
    >>John

    > It's set at 384 min & 768 max.
    > Would this be the cause of the problem?
    > By the way, the program that gave the alert, was a DVD maker.
    > It happened while it was encoding the files, but adjusted itself, and
    > finished compiling the files.
    > I also have a problem with the PC freezing quite often, could this be
    > another thing linked to the virtual memory?
    > Many thanks for your help.
    >

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0618-3, 05/05/2006
    > Tested on: 5/5/2006 7:04:19 PM

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0618-3, 05/05/2006
    Tested on: 5/5/2006 8:16:11 PM

    Dan Seur, May 6, 2006
  6. Hans

    John John Guest

    How much free space do you have on the drive?

    John

    John John, May 6, 2006
  7. Hans

    Hans Guest

    "John John" <> wrote in message
    > How much free space do you have on the drive?
    >
    > John

    C: Space available: 14458 MB

    Total paging file size for all drives:
    Min: 2MB
    Rec: 382MB
    Currently allocated: 1024MB (after resetting to 512+512)

    Hans, May 6, 2006