Help. Windows XP - Cursor has mind of its own

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Guest, Oct 29, 2007.

    Hello,

    Hoping someone who has had a similiar problem and can direct me to fixing
    issue. I am running Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop.

    Problems I am having:

    - cursor has mind of its own. In open browsers, Microsoft Office programs
    and IM it automaticly goes to the first spot on any open window. As if the
    touchpad is being pulled back to the begining. Makes typing anything very
    difficult. Sometimes I lose control completely of the cursor and have to
    reboot.
    - Cursor forced to first icon on my desktop. Wont allow me to click on any
    other icon without launching first icon on top left automaticly.
    - Open browsers not allowing me to scroll down. The cursor forces itself to
    top of page.

    All of these problems are definitely related. Sometimes computer beeps
    loudly continuously as if a key is held down mistakingly.

    Anyone experience this problem or can offer help?

    Regards

    Guest, Oct 29, 2007

    SB,

    Have you checked the "Mouse Properties" in Control Panel? Specifically,
    under "Pointer Options", choosing the "Snap To" setting gives the following
    behavior:

    "Specifies whether the mouse pointer snaps to the default
    button (such as OK or Apply) in Dialog boxes. In some
    programs, Snap To may cause the pointer to automatically
    move to the center of the dialog box rather than to the default
    button."

    Regards,

    Patrick

    Guest, Oct 29, 2007

    Thanks, Patrick
    I have checked the 'Snap To' options of 'Mouse Properties' under 'Control
    Panel'. Check Box is Unchecked.

    Regards

    Guest, Oct 29, 2007

    SB,

    OK. You might like to try installing/reinstalling the latest driver for your
    touchpad. It's likely that it comes with a touchpad-specific configuration
    applet that may provide a setting that will solve your problem.

    Regards,

    Patrick

    Guest, Oct 29, 2007

    Thanks, Patrick

    It worked. 'Top Arrow' key of my KB stuck.

    Regards

    Guest, Oct 30, 2007