Help please - delete icon greyed out on inbox..! (Outlook possessed!)

H

Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I]

Well now, forgive the rudeness, but your instructions are for an IMAP
account, not for a POP3 account, so they don't apply and won't work. Delete
behavior in an IMAP account is completely different than it is for a POP
account.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (e-mail address removed)
Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com

D

DrunkenWeasel

This is odd, I've come across the same error on on of my client's computers.
Outlook 2003 was working yesterday, works today but delete icon is greyed out
when working on emails contained in the Inbox. Tried all suggestions in this
discussion. Delete icon is available when multiple emails are selected,
emails can be dragged to the deleted folder or I can permanently delete an
email with Shift-Del but can not delete single email with icon or delete key.

D

Darren Rysedorph

recreate the PST file and then IMPORT the old one into the new one. The problem may lie in the INBOX folder properties under TYPE. The norm is:

Folder containing Mail and Post Items

If it says something about IMAP...then you know that the solution above will work. This was a tricky one...i hope this helps.

D
Hi All,

I'm running Outlook 2003 on XP. Both Office & XP are patched up to the eyeballs.

I use Outlook as a pop mail client to gmail, so every mail I pull down goes into the inbox of a PST.

The problem that's driving me nuts is that the delete icon on the standard toolbar in between the "move to folder" and "reply" buttons becomes greyed out - BUT ONLY ON THE INBOX.

If I click on an email within the inbox to view it in the preview pane, it's still greyed out. If I click on an email in any other folder, it's not greyed out.

When the icon is greyed out, the delete key on the keyboard doesn't work either. So the only way to delete an email from the inbox is to double-click on it so it opens in another window. Then the delete icon (which gets moved across to the right some) is no longer greyed out (and the keyboard del key then works too).

I've run the repair option within Outlook - I even opted to reset (ie lose) all my customisations and shortcuts back to the defaults. I've nuked the accounts & profiles & re-added the PST - and a new PST and the problem remains. I've had a shower & changed my socks and my car is also fairly clean. The blood tests haven't come back yet so what more can I do......???

I'm dying to know what has caused this - nearly as much as I'm dying to be rid of it....!!!

Thanks...!!!

BH :(
On Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:00 AM KOrlan wrote:
Perhaps some toolbar corruption? Close Outlook. Search for and rename
outcmd.dat. Open Outlook again. Let me know if this helped at all, there may
be some other solutions if it doesn't.

The outcmd.dat file is likely hidden so unhide hidden files and folders,
plus make sure you can see known file extensions.

Good luck!

--
Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook

http://www.howto-outlook.com/

"brian henderson" wrote:
//www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2385/outlook_2007_imap_inbox_purge_delete_items[/URL]

God, the MS MVP's are as useless as they are rude. I hope this helps.

"brian henderson" wrote:
On Wednesday, September 03, 2008 5:17 PM Hal Hostetler [MVP-P/I] wrote:
account.

Hal
--

news:[email protected]...

D

Darren Rysedorph

recreate the PST file and then IMPORT the old one into the new one. The problem may lie in the INBOX folder properties under TYPE. The norm is:

If it says something about IMAP...then you know that the solution above will work. This was a tricky one...i hope this helps.

D
Hi All,

I'm running Outlook 2003 on XP. Both Office & XP are patched up to the eyeballs.

I use Outlook as a pop mail client to gmail, so every mail I pull down goes into the inbox of a PST.

The problem that's driving me nuts is that the delete icon on the standard toolbar in between the "move to folder" and "reply" buttons becomes greyed out - BUT ONLY ON THE INBOX.

If I click on an email within the inbox to view it in the preview pane, it's still greyed out. If I click on an email in any other folder, it's not greyed out.

When the icon is greyed out, the delete key on the keyboard doesn't work either. So the only way to delete an email from the inbox is to double-click on it so it opens in another window. Then the delete icon (which gets moved across to the right some) is no longer greyed out (and the keyboard del key then works too).

I've run the repair option within Outlook - I even opted to reset (ie lose) all my customisations and shortcuts back to the defaults. I've nuked the accounts & profiles & re-added the PST - and a new PST and the problem remains. I've had a shower & changed my socks and my car is also fairly clean. The blood tests haven't come back yet so what more can I do......???

I'm dying to know what has caused this - nearly as much as I'm dying to be rid of it....!!!

Thanks...!!!

Good luck!

--

"brian henderson" wrote:

"brian henderson" wrote:
account.

Hal
--

D

Darren Rysedorph

D
Hi All,

Thanks...!!!

Good luck!

--

"brian henderson" wrote:

"brian henderson" wrote:
account.

Hal
--

D

Darren Rysedorph

D
Hi All,

Thanks...!!!

Good luck!

--

"brian henderson" wrote:

"brian henderson" wrote:
account.

Hal
--

J

Jack Toff

Did you even bother to notice the dates of the posts you replied to?
2008? Do you really think the O/P is coming back to see these? You're a
real trip!
---

D
Hi All,

I'm running Outlook 2003 on XP. Both Office& XP are patched up to the eyeballs.

I've run the repair option within Outlook - I even opted to reset (ie lose) all my customisations and shortcuts back to the defaults. I've nuked the accounts& profiles& re-added the PST - and a new PST and the problem remains. I've had a shower& changed my socks and my car is also fairly clean. The blood tests haven't come back yet so what more can I do......???

Thanks...!!!

Good luck!

--

"brian henderson" wrote:
On Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:54 AM KOrlan wrote:
Have you vacuumed the cat? Walked the dog? Changed the baby?

Did this version of Outlook ever work for you without this issue? When did
it start? Since you're on XP, can you recover to when it did work?

--

"brian henderson" wrote:

"brian henderson" wrote:
account.

Hal
--

On Wednesday, September 17, 2008 2:04 PM DrunkenWease wrote:
This is odd, I've come across the same error on on of my client's computers.
Outlook 2003 was working yesterday, works today but delete icon is greyed out
when working on emails contained in the Inbox. Tried all suggestions in this
discussion. Delete icon is available when multiple emails are selected,
emails can be dragged to the deleted folder or I can permanently delete an
email with Shift-Del but can not delete single email with icon or delete key.

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

Reaction score
I found an answer for this problem.

For some reason, my client setup his email account as an IMAP account initially then changed the settings to be POP. Since Outlook couldn't connect to the server correctly, it stopped allowing deletes from that bar and from right clicking on the email itself. I don't know why it did this, but this is what happened.

To fix the problem I exported the PST into a backup - deleted the screwey account, created a POP3 account from scratch and then imported the old PST data. Voila, my client now has a fully functioning inbox.

Reaction score
I have gone through this site post at least a half dozen times, and I am not sure who these technical wannabes are. Probably office workers by day, and because they use a PC they are all experts to the lesser technically inclined. Stroking their ego about how much they know by drawing on these resolutions getting to type more charterers per inch, and not knowing much more about it, than to boast and have people re-type stuff because they are too lazy to read.

This is how I resolved it. I uninstalled MS Office, then I backed up the registry, and performed a regedit with outlook as the operative word. I deleted anything with that word. Sometimes it did not delete, so I moved on. Once I was done with the registry, I then reinstalled MS Office. Voila my button was no longer greyed out.

I am not a Windows or a desktop tech, yes I am a network guy, but my knowledge on that part of the business I know very, very little. I generally come to forums such as this for my desktop and application needs. But this post was excruciating.

My resolution was simply stated in a non condescending way, and without the self importance.

Ask a Question