Help !! Output

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Programming' started by Guest, Mar 17, 2004.

    I have a VBA template (Little Less than 1 MB) . Template contains a worsheet (1) which contains data and i have couple of forms with listboxes etc which pick the data from the worksheet (1) and depending upon the selections made on forms output is created on worksheet (2) . Now my problem is that when output is created the size of my xls is same (little less that 1 mb) where as now i dont need that data in worksheet (1) and all the forms and macros/code etc. Could someone suggest a way to cut down the size of my worksheet with output.

    Suggestions will be appreciate

    Guest, Mar 17, 2004

    Bob Phillips Guest

    Try creating your template as an addin, and create a new workbook from this
    which will have the data you require, but not the code of forms.

    --

    HTH

    Bob Phillips

    Bob Phillips, Mar 17, 2004

    Kalle Guest

    Make a copy with SaveAs TempName
    Switch to TempName
    Delete Sheets whatever You need to delete
    Delete modules as needed.
    Save Sheet(1)

    TempName still got your code and other data.
    Sheet( 1 ) containes only wanted sheets.

    Kalle, Mar 17, 2004

    Thanks for your reply Bob
    I am a little new to this...would you suggest a link where i could get some details of doing so. Or if you could write few lines on that...it will be appreciated

    Guest, Mar 17, 2004

    Bob Phillips Guest

    An addin is just an Excel workbook, but saved as type xla not xls. So put
    your macros in a new workbook, and just save it as an xla (bottom option on
    file types in the save dialog).

    Then go and install it in Tools>Addins by clicking Browse, selecting the
    file, and then checking the new entry.

    The main thing to take care of is to ensure that you always specifically
    refer to a workbook/worksheet, as normally non-referenced code works on the
    active workbook/activesheet, but they will not be visible to addin code (an
    addin has an activeworkbook and an activesheet, you just cannot see them).

    Post back if you need more help.

    --

    HTH

    Bob Phillips

    Bob Phillips, Mar 17, 2004

    Bob
    Thanks for lending help. I did some research on add-in's and it sounded as a perfect solution for my problem. Bob, i had a question. Let's say if teh template is located on a server and client tries to open it. Should the xla file be available on the client side.

    Thanks once again.

    Guest, Mar 17, 2004

    Bob Phillips Guest

    AS,

    An addin is always loaded when Excel starts up, if installed properly, so it
    is in memory, but it can be located anywhere on the network.

    I must admit that I envisaged the template file being in the addin. As an
    addin is just another workbook, albeit one that you do not see, it can have
    worksheets that can be used by the macros just like any other workbook. But
    again of course it doesn't have to be that way, and it can be a separate
    file, again located anywhere on the network if that is what your design
    determines.

    Good luck, and keep posting if you need further help/advice.

    --

    HTH

    Bob Phillips

    Bob Phillips, Mar 17, 2004

    Thanks alot Bob...I hope it will be help out. I am working on it. Shall keep you posted about the progress

    Guest, Mar 18, 2004