Help me with overclocking?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anybody can teach me the basics of overclocking? like the "do and do not do" type of stuff. I want to try overclocking my CPU and maybe my video card. I wanna make sure i dont blow up or anything. Are overclocking programs like EasyTune 4 worth while?

Reaction score
best thing for you m8 - would be to spend a few weeks readin at http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/
oh - do alot of reading and don't ask silly Q's in the that forum - some or most will jump on U

most ppl that read everything on that forum should beable to overclock woithout asking much Q's - there loads on info !!

hope that help m8

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think EasyTune 4 is only for gigabyte motherboards (could be wrong here). Overclocking is a bit risky, and probably not worth it unless you could afford to replace anything if it goes wrong.

Reaction score
Ok i will teach you about overclocking. See my signature - i do it myself.

Ok, make sure you have a brand named PSU that will easily take changes in voltage and has some kind of voltage protection.

Make sure your CPU temperatures are good at idle/full load at the moment.

Make sure you have RAM with availiable MHz (eg at least PC3500 DDR433 for a 400MHz athlon/800MHz P4)

You will probably be best overclocking in BIOS.

What you want to do is set the AGP/PCI ratio to fixed at 66/33 - the speed it should default it at - lock it there.

Increase the FSB of your processor by one or two notches, save and exit, see if it loads windows. Run prime 95 for half and hour, if it dosent error, repeat.

Only do this if you know what you are doing!

And for the graphics, use Rage3D tweak. Its very good. Don't push it too far though otherwise you screen will be al blocky and liney and illegible

Chris

Reaction score
I have just read your post with your spec.

I wouldn't bother overclocking your computer you have only PC2700 RAM. This would be the limiting factor and also AMD systems generally don't overclock as nicely as intel ones do.

Sorry.

Reaction score
I know its not much of an overclock but i overclocked my 2000xp without any knowlege of overclocking to a 2200, and i only used 2100 ram wdf r u all talking about

Reaction score
Depends on the quality of the RAM really - some RAM will take a few MHz extra but if it's not awesome quality stuff then you would invalidate warranty and possibly break it.

The general rule is if you are going to overclock make sure you have RAM that has the allowance for the extra MHz (e.g. i have PC4200 with a P4c to allow for the increased speeds)

if you see what i mean...

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hmm, well i guess that ends my ability to overclock. (to scared really)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Consoles_Suck said:
So what am i gona destroy my RAM?, its only 133mhz and ive pushed its fsb to 144.. cpu runs at 50c is that bad?
Nope, that's quite fine.

I've never busted a thing overclocking, btw, either it will boot into Windows/Linux or it won't.

If it don't, reset CMOS and start again. Take it to within a notch or two of where you were, and it should run stable with a little luck.

If your Bios has the capability, juggling with RAM settings can sometimes help.

But your big enemy is heat, higher you go, hotter things get.

Reaction score
Whats the sort of max safe sytem & cpu temperature.How much is it possible to overclock a 2000xp with standard cooling

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Consoles_Suck said:
Whats the sort of max safe sytem & cpu temperature.How much is it possible to overclock a 2000xp with standard cooling
Well, it's only my POV but I raise eyebrows at any temp over 50C, although I suppose it's quite OK to run an overclocked CPU at 60C, but anything over that I'd worry.

As for how much is it possible, that's an unknown factor, there are too many variables, not least being the characteristics of the CPU and Memory.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Is there any real acurate way to see what your temp is?

Reaction score
hi m8 - i take it you never read anything on that site i gave you ?

almost anything you want to know has already been discused on that site

just do a search on the finds you want toknow about - suck as temp..

if you can't find something them just ask.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/

i would suggest you get a new fan - just to make sure - there not dear

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
Is there any real acurate way to see what your temp is?
Motherboard Monitor is fairly accurate.

If you already have temperature monitoring software installed though, either uninstall that or don't load MBM, as they'll likely clash with each other.

Reaction score
I`ve had a 2000+ to 1833MHz with PC2100 memory. With faster memory, it should be able to go a bit higher. I sah buy the fastest memory your motherboard can handle, then you dont have to worry about replacing the memory every time you overclock. Thats whats happened to me... twice. I`m now tryin to find a new owner for Pc2100 and Pc2700 memory...

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Motherboard Monitor is fairly accurate.

If you already have temperature monitoring software installed though, either uninstall that or don't load MBM, as they'll likely clash with each other.

I`ve got MBM, DTemp (for my Hard disks), Asus Probe and Speedfan- No clash, and they agree on the temperatures most of the time too, which is nice :)

Ask a Question