Help, I've killed my DNS server and I cant fix it...

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 DNS' started by clamfuddle, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. clamfuddle

    clamfuddle Guest

    Doh.

    Well, I seem to have fixed part of it at least.

    I have a Windows 2000 server (only server on my network) and I was told that
    it should point to itself as the only DNS server, so I changed my DNS
    address
    to that of the server (192.168.1.100).

    I lost all website functionality, as well as the ability to resolve email
    server names
    internally.

    I added some new hosts in the forward lookup zone (trying anything...) -
    pop3, www, smtp, mail,
    and ftp, all pointing to 192.168.1.100 since this server provides all these
    services.

    This apparently resolved my pop3, and smtp lookup issues because I can now
    collect mail again (whew!)
    but I can't get my website from either inside my firewall or outside my
    firewall.
    Nor can I manage my email system which is HTML based.

    Can anyone help step me through my settings and help me find my problem?

    Thanks greatly!

    Bryan

    clamfuddle, Jun 12, 2004

  2. clamfuddle wrote:
    > Doh.
    >
    > Well, I seem to have fixed part of it at least.
    >
    > I have a Windows 2000 server (only server on my network) and I was
    > told that it should point to itself as the only DNS server, so I
    > changed my DNS address
    > to that of the server (192.168.1.100).

    That is a Good Thing in Active Directory. Did you also set up forwarders to
    your ISP's DNS servers? You need to do that... Set up forwarders in your
    AD-integrated DNS server to point to several public DNS servers (you may
    need to remove the "." -- root zone -- first). Then make sure that all
    servers & workstations specify *only* the internal DNS server's IP address
    in their TCP/IP settings.

    > I lost all website functionality, as well as the ability to resolve
    > email server names
    > internally.

    If they're internal, are they not showing up in your DNS on the W2k server?

    > I added some new hosts in the forward lookup zone (trying
    > anything...) - pop3, www, smtp, mail,
    > and ftp, all pointing to 192.168.1.100 since this server provides
    > all these services.
    >
    > This apparently resolved my pop3, and smtp lookup issues because I
    > can now collect mail again (whew!)
    > but I can't get my website from either inside my firewall or outside
    > my firewall.

    Where's your website hosted?

    > Nor can I manage my email system which is HTML based.

    Where is the mail server?

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Jun 12, 2004

  3. clamfuddle

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    >I have a Windows 2000 server (only server on my network) and I was told that
    >it should point to itself as the only DNS server, so I changed my DNS
    >address
    >to that of the server (192.168.1.100).
    >
    >I lost all website functionality, as well as the ability to resolve email
    >server names
    >internally.
    >
    >I added some new hosts in the forward lookup zone (trying anything...) -
    >pop3, www, smtp, mail,
    >and ftp, all pointing to 192.168.1.100 since this server provides all these
    >services.
    >
    >This apparently resolved my pop3, and smtp lookup issues because I can now
    >collect mail again (whew!)
    >but I can't get my website from either inside my firewall or outside my
    >firewall.
    >Nor can I manage my email system which is HTML based.
    >
    >Can anyone help step me through my settings and help me find my problem?

    1) Set your ISP's DNS as a forwarder for your internal DNS.

    2) Create a host record (A) for your web server pointing to you web
    server's IP address, wherever that may be.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jun 12, 2004
  4. clamfuddle

    clamfuddle Guest

    Thank you for the information, let me answer your questions and clarify...

    1. On your advice, I set up forwarders. There was not a "." root zone.

    2. I lost all website functionality, as well as the ability to resolve
    email server names internally.

    You asked: If they're internal, are they not showing up in your DNS on the
    W2k server?

    Yes, they are internal, and they did not show up. I did create a www
    record, pointing to the
    IP address of my server (192.168.1.100)

    My website and email web-based administration both are on this same machine
    and _were_ working
    until I squashed my DNS. My ability to collect email from within my LAN was
    gone until I added the
    smtp, pop3 and mail records - also pointing to 192.168.1.100...

    Thank you for your help so far!

    Bryan

    clamfuddle, Jun 13, 2004
  5. clamfuddle

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:18:23 -0500, "clamfuddle" <vader1 at flash.net>
    wrote:

    >Thank you for the information, let me answer your questions and clarify...
    >
    >1. On your advice, I set up forwarders. There was not a "." root zone.
    >
    >2. I lost all website functionality, as well as the ability to resolve
    > email server names internally.
    >
    >You asked: If they're internal, are they not showing up in your DNS on the
    >W2k server?
    >
    >Yes, they are internal, and they did not show up. I did create a www
    >record, pointing to the
    >IP address of my server (192.168.1.100)
    >
    >My website and email web-based administration both are on this same machine
    >and _were_ working
    >until I squashed my DNS. My ability to collect email from within my LAN was
    >gone until I added the
    >smtp, pop3 and mail records - also pointing to 192.168.1.100...

    Were the web based portions of your server set to answer on a specific
    IP or All Unassigned? Do you use host headers which may need to be
    adjusted?

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jun 13, 2004