HELP*** ERROR 18 on UBUNTU New install.

Reaction score
I got "Error 18" on a new install startup
I downloaded ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso to my WindowsXP 866

tested it on winMd5Sum fine

Burned it to CDROM, first two tries failed then I set it to burn at 4X, burned and tested fine with its own integrity test on the front screen.

So far, so good.

then i clicked install and got two lines saying

[ 234.284559] Buffer I/O error on device f 60. logical block 0
[ 272.376782] Buffer I/O error on device f 60. logical block 0

(I filmed it loading and im not quite certain that is a 6 in "f 60" as the clarity of film is quite poor, but i can email the clip if you need it.)
my email is (e-mail address removed))
then it continued

*Setting preliminary keymap...

then some other things

then someting about REBOOT failing

then some other stuff and what looked like another problem to me

then when it finished is said something about no errors and everything being OK but when i rebooted, it loaded the HDD, CDROM and DVD, screen blacked as normal then came back on with the message

GRUB Loading stage1.5

GRUB Loading. please wait...
Error 18
_

then nothing more.

Sorry if i seem a bit unclear but i dont really know what i was looking at.

Any ideas folks?

Also, somebody on the Ubuntu forum commented that it might be that my BIOS needs updating as the machine is a PIII 866 and about 5 years old, but they didnt mention exactly how i do this so i still dont know if that is the problem.

Reaction score
Update, some kind soul told me that there is an alternative version of this which is a text based install so i will try that one.

back soon.

Ask a Question