    in my web. Big problem as now all of those desktop files are deleted from
    not just the program but are completely removed from my computer's desktop.
    Any thoughts on how to get them back? System restore did not work.

    efrance, May 24, 2010

  2. efrance

    Tom Willett Guest

    You need to ask in a newsgroup for your specific operating system.

    --
    Tom [Pepper] Willett
    Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997
    "efrance" <> wrote in message
    :I was trying to create a new sample website so I started the wizard and had
    : the site save to my desktop. Once it opened up in frontpage it had every
    : single file in my desktop in there so I deleted the desktop files that
    were

    Tom Willett, May 24, 2010

  3. efrance

    Ronx Guest

    The only reliable way back is from a recent backup. When you delete anything using FrontPage it is gone forever.
    if there is no backup, find an unerase program (Google) - best to use a different computer to avoid overwriting the remnants of the deleted files, and see what can be recovered.
    --
    Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
    http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx

    efrance formulated the question :

    Ronx, May 24, 2010
  4. efrance

    Tom Willett Guest

    Ron: It appears the OP deleted more than just FP files.

    --
    "Ronx" <> wrote in message
    : The only reliable way back is from a recent backup. When you delete
    anything using FrontPage it is gone forever.
    : if there is no backup, find an unerase program (Google) - best to use a
    different computer to avoid overwriting the remnants of the deleted files,
    and see what can be recovered.
    : --
    :

    Tom Willett, May 24, 2010
  5. efrance

    Ronx Guest

    That's what I thought was said - but when FrontPage deletes _anything_, it's gone.
    Sounds like instead of a new website ON the desktop, the whole desktop was incorporated in the new website - and the non-web files were deleted.

    Ronx, May 24, 2010
  6. efrance

    Tom Willett Guest

    Exactly. He needs to check with a newsgroup about his O/S. But, my guess is:
    it's reformat/reload time.

    --
    "Ronx" <> wrote in message
    : That's what I thought was said - but when FrontPage deletes _anything_,
    it's gone.
    : Sounds like instead of a new website ON the desktop, the whole desktop was
    incorporated in the new website - and the non-web files were deleted.
    : --
    : Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
    : http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
    : This nesgroup is closing - see
    : http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
    :
    : Tom Willett wrote on 24/05/2010 :
    : > Ron: It appears the OP deleted more than just
    : > FP files.
    :
    : > --
    : > Tom [Pepper] Willett
    : > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997
    : > ---------------------------
    : > "Ronx" <> wrote in message
    : > news:Oni6aP4%...
    : >> The only reliable way back is from a recent
    : >> backup. When you delete anything using
    : >> FrontPage it is gone forever. if there is no
    : >> backup, find an unerase program (Google) -
    : >> best to use a
    : > different computer to avoid overwriting the
    : > remnants of the deleted files, and see what
    : > can be recovered.
    : >> --
    : >> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
    : >> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
    : >> This nesgroup is closing - see
    : >> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
    : >>

    Tom Willett, May 24, 2010
  7. efrance

    Joe Guest

    This program saved my bacon more than once recovering files. Even after a
    reformat as well:

    http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

    (usually nothing is ever totally gone from a hard drive unless the hard
    drive itself is physically broken. It may not be possible to retrieve
    without the right software..but in all likelihood it is still there.)

    Gotta run now... the black helicopters are after me :)

    --
    Best,
    Joe

    FrontPage and Expression Web Forums:
    http://www.timeforweb.com/frontpage/forum/default.asp

    Joe, May 25, 2010
  8. efrance

    efrance Guest

    Yes, that is exactly what is happening. Instead of a new website saved on
    the desktop it created one incorporating all that was on the desktop. I've
    tried since setting up a new website and saving in another separate folder
    location on my server and am getting the same problem. It is incorporating
    everything from the previos files. For example...if I'm trying to save it to
    C:/my documents/websites/new site - all of the documents that are in the my
    documents and websites folders are also showing up within my website folder
    list. Any idea how I can change this? I have no idea why it's now doing
    this as I havent' had this problem before.

    I have asked my IT consultant to look into the deleted desktop files to see
    if he can restore any of them. Thanks!

    efrance, May 25, 2010
  9. that happens when you create a website on your desktop but forget to create
    a folder for it there, sooooo when you next open your website your entire
    desktop becomes part of the website...not a nice thing...I know I did it
    once. Took quite a while to fix it.

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rob Giordano

    Rob Giordano [MS MVP], May 26, 2010
  10. efrance

    efrance Guest

    Could you tell me how you fixed it please?

    efrance, May 27, 2010
  11. efrance

    efrance Guest

    Because even when I setup a new folder prior it is still opening up with
    everything else in there.

    efrance, May 27, 2010
  12. efrance

    Ronx Guest

    When it happenned to me:
    open Windows Explorer
    Browse to the Desktop - In Windows 7 this is at
    C:\users\<username>\desktop,
    in Windows XP it's at
    c:\documents and Settings\<username>\desktop
    Search for hidden and system files and folders named _vti* in the desktop folder
    Delete them

    Whwn you create a new website, do NOT create on the desktop - I create a folder on E:\ named websites\websitename
    In the New Site dialogue change the location to E:\websites\websitename

    If you do not have a E:, the use C:\websites as the starting point. This keeps everything safe, uhnless you accidently create the website in C:\ (the root folder on C: )
    Create the folder first in Windows Explorer, and use the Browse button in the New Site dialogue to find it.

    --
    Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
    http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
    This nesgroup is closing - see
    http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx

    It happens that efrance formulated :