Windows XP Help! Blue Screen of Death

Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone can help.

I got the good ol' Unmountable_boot_volume error. I have tried everything to get back into windows, chkdsk /p /r fixboot fixbootmbr.

I even tried the "setup windows now option" instead of the "R" repair option, following the advice from another forum: "When it finishes, you should be given a screen asking which XP installation you want to repair. In most cases, there will only be one choice. Select the one you would like to repair. Repair the selected installation by pressing “R”. If you do not see a repair option, you will need to do a clean install. Your version of Windows could have been damaged beyond repair." (http://www.besttechie.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1523)

The thing is, there is no repair option. But I want to save some of my files before I get a new hardrive. I read on another forum that I have to buy a USB device to transfer my files from the damaged hard drive to the new one. What device is that? I'm not computer savvy, so is this the best avenue to go, or is there anything else I can do to save my files?

Thanks so much

-Dan

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I belive that you may be able to recover files using a Linux distro but you'll need to seek advice on how to do that . Try the Linux section here .
user.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Take out the HD, jumper it as a 'save' and plonk it in the PC you are using now ... copy the files to the good PC

:user:

Ask a Question