HELP -- [1ch] record of Domain Controller in WINS problem after seizure operation

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Active Directory' started by J.H, Jan 21, 2004.

  1. J.H

    J.H Guest

    Hi David,

    Do you (online MS Support) have any solution for this ? I re-posted because
    it was forgotten.

    Thanks for your reponse. I have checked by nbtstat -A DC3_IP, the [1B]
    record is registered (also20, 00,1C,1E,1D), but not in the WINS's 'Find
    Name' database when I used WINS console to find those records. So far we
    have no problem for domain validation, passwordchange, joining the
    domain...etc, every thing seems to be functional. I was worrying of having
    problem for not having [1ch] record, that will create the problem for master
    browser role in our network (correct me if i am wrong).

    - Do you have any idea why [1ch] does not get registered after the seizure
    operation ? I tried many ways, but would not help (yet, haven't not tried
    yours 180094 yet,
    refer for automatic creation of those record, because if I added another
    domain controller,
    the [1ch] record will be automatically created on the WINS server which IP
    is new added DC)
    - if there is no [1ch] record, what will be happening to Windows Internet
    Name Service resolution in our network ?
    - If there is no solution, I probably have to promot another server to be DC
    for having [1ch]
    record registered in our WINS, but that's not very good practice that we
    were doing :)

    Any suggestion will be appreciated !!!!!
    Thanks for your all readings,
    J.H

    J.H, Jan 21, 2004

  2. My apologies but I don't remember the details in the original post, but try
    running nbtstat -RR to see if it registers, and you can also query wins by
    IP, name, etc to be sure you don't see it as they can be easy to overlook.
    All xp and win2k based machines will want to use dns for just about
    everything, and some domains don't even have wins running, but not sure if
    you have downlevel clients etc as well.
    Seizing roles from one win2k dc to another would only affect the wins 1B
    registration for domain as the pdc emulator role changes from one dc to
    another. Any dc, holding any fsmo roles or not, will still be a dc and you
    should see the 1c record for it (in addition to the 1b for the pdc too)

    The pdc will Always be the "domain master browser". Other browsers (segment
    masters or potential browsers) use the 1E wins registration;
    119495 List of Names Registered with WINS Service
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=119495

    --
    David Brandt
    Microsoft Corporation

    newsgroup purposes only.

    David Brandt [MSFT], Jan 21, 2004

  3. J.H

    J.H Guest

    Hi David,

    Thanks for your quick response. I did try to find the record name in WINS by
    '*'
    It could then find any thing left in the WINS, but not [1ch]. The strange
    thing was
    keeping bugged me if we added another DC in our single domain network model
    (just DC, no roles for it), the new DC will be registerd [1ch] record with
    its IP. While
    the DC (which we seized the 5 roles (+1 PDC role) from downed 1st DC to it)
    never
    has [1ch] record point to itself. That's strange!!!

    All other records have registered in WINS but except [1ch] record for the DC
    holding 5 roles.

    Except that issue [1ch] record for the DC holding 5 roles, we have no
    problem at all
    in our network. Our network has a few windows 98, but no NT4 or NT4 BDC. Our
    network infrastructure is based on Windows 2000 AD/DC, and mixed mode.

    Regards,
    J.H

    "David Brandt [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > My apologies but I don't remember the details in the original post, but

    try
    > running nbtstat -RR to see if it registers, and you can also query wins by
    > IP, name, etc to be sure you don't see it as they can be easy to overlook.
    > All xp and win2k based machines will want to use dns for just about
    > everything, and some domains don't even have wins running, but not sure if
    > you have downlevel clients etc as well.
    > Seizing roles from one win2k dc to another would only affect the wins 1B
    > registration for domain as the pdc emulator role changes from one dc to
    > another. Any dc, holding any fsmo roles or not, will still be a dc and

    you
    > should see the 1c record for it (in addition to the 1b for the pdc too)
    >
    > The pdc will Always be the "domain master browser". Other browsers

    (segment
    > masters or potential browsers) use the 1E wins registration;
    > 119495 List of Names Registered with WINS Service
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=119495
    >
    > --
    > David Brandt
    > Microsoft Corporation

    rights.

    J.H, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Would really need to dig into wins to tell what's going on, but if you only
    have a few win98 boxes and they aren't having any problems, I wouldn't be
    overly concerned about it. Dns will be the main road everything else is
    wanting to use.

    --
    David Brandt
    Microsoft Corporation