Hello from new user/member.

Reaction score
Hi

I don't have a funky psuedonym so just call me Mal. I'm one of those arrogant fools who thinks the best way to get what you want is to build it yourself. Big mistake.

I attempted to build an audio workstation using an ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard,1G of RAM, an AMD Athlon +2800 processor and a Radeon Sapphire graphics card (plus a couple of Seagate 40G drives and a Sony CDR).

I managed to get it all up and running using XP but the system is continually crashing. Its' favourite BSOD messages are "DRIVER_IRQ_ NOT_LESS_OR_ EQUAL " and "PAGE_FAULT_IN_ NON_PAGED_AREA".

Having viewed a number of forums in search of a solution I'm beginning to get the impression that these are common messages.

Error reoprting (Via MS site) indicates this is caused by a driver. Can anyone recommend a solution, or software which can identify the problem.

Even with a total reinstall of XP and no additional drivers or applications installed, the problem still persists. A diagnostic memory test using MS supplied software did not recognise any memory faults.

Any help is appreciated.

Mal Swann

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Welcome to our part of cyberspace!:)

Sorry I am not familiar with the particular Asus board you are using.Rest assured someone here who has used the same motherboard will be able to guide you and sort the problem out.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... naw, I gave up on Asus ;-)

Hello and Welcome ... :D

ok, thats the nicities out of the way ;)

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Stop Errors

Possibly the most annoying Stop error that you will ever see, essentially is a memory error caused by a driver or piece of software that has caused an error accessing memory, It can also be caused by defective/unsupported hardware, so prety much anything :rolleyes:

But you missed a bit ... When you get the stop error it will be accompanied by some information i.e.

Stop: 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL*** Address x has base at x - filename

The parameters refer to the specific issues that are involved:
Parameter 1 - An address that was referenced improperly
Parameter 2 - An IRQL that was required to access the memory
Parameter 3 - The type of access, where 0 is a read operation and 1 is a write operation
Parameter 4 - The address of the instruction that referenced memory in parameter 1

Make a note of the stop error ESPECIALLY the "filename" as this can point you to a defective driver or the software/hardware at the root of the problem.

Now the other one ... :D

Again, there should be a STOP error message ... 0x50 per chance is it?

If so, run http://www.memtest86.com/ on individual memory ... that is, take one stick out and run the program, replace and run with another stick. If using 4 sticks, that is your problem, only use 2.

Mind you I never liked ATI Radiation cards either, especially the drivers.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Hi Mal, and welcome to PC-Review.

With regards to your problems, are you running the latest version of BIOS, and all the latest drivers for your components.
If not then, get the latest drivers/software from ASUS and ATI sites.
Also with regards to your 1G of memory, what brand is it and how many sticks are you using?

Reaction score
Mals' malevolent machinery

Hello again.

Thanks for all your responses. I now have a couple of courses of action to follow in order to troubleshoot the problems described:

1 Examine the error codes to identify the files being accessed.
2. Try running on 1 memory stick to identify any memory problrms. (I'm using 2 Corsair @ 512MB non ecc) There could be a compatibility issue?

It might be worth pointing out that my aim was to assemble a machine that would only record and playback audio - no internet connection, office functions. photos etc. All this with no previous experience (The boy's a fool!).

If none of these work I could turn to religion/drink/both.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Mal Swann said:
You couldn't use an old ASUS motherboard could you? They say a girl should never be without one.

Do they?! Well thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid to say it would be no use to me :)

Ask a Question