    noises or clicking from drive, sounds normal spinning up.

    I guess I must have touched the circuitry and destroyed the controller?
    Is that the reason?

    mrwipple, Aug 19, 2009

  2. mrwipple

    Rod Speed Guest

    mrwipple wrote:

    > Had 250gb Hitachi Deskstar.

    They are called DeathStars for a reason.

    > Was using it as portable and dis not have plate over circuitry (big mistake?).

    > Was working fine with my usb adapter and driver on both old and new
    > systems. Usb adapter and driver works fine on other drives still.

    > Suddenly the Hitachi will no longer respond to the loading usb driver
    > and is not recognized by 2 independent systems. No error message.
    > No noises or clicking from drive, sounds normal spinning up.

    > I guess I must have touched the circuitry and destroyed the controller? Is that the reason?

    Its more likely it just died. There's a reason there was a full class action suit over those drives.

    Rod Speed, Aug 19, 2009

  3. mrwipple

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    mrwipple wrote:
    > Had 250gb Hitachi Deskstar. Was using it as portable and dis not have
    > plate over circuitry (big mistake?).
    >
    > Was working fine with my usb adapter and driver on both old and new
    > systems. Usb adapter and driver works fine on other drives still.
    >
    > Suddenly the Hitachi will no longer respond to the loading usb driver
    > and is not recognized by 2 independent systems. No error message. No
    > noises or clicking from drive, sounds normal spinning up.
    >
    > I guess I must have touched the circuitry and destroyed the controller?
    > Is that the reason?

    I just had an issue I resolved for my own external hard drive. It turned
    out that the problem was the power supply that plugs into the USB
    enclosure. There was power flowing through one of the rails but not the
    other, so the USB interface kept working and it would appear in my USB
    connections list, but there wasn't enough juice to actually run the
    drive behind the interface. Simply changed the power supply.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Aug 28, 2009
  4. mrwipple

    Arno Guest

    mrwipple <> wrote:
    > Had 250gb Hitachi Deskstar. Was using it as portable and dis not have
    > plate over circuitry (big mistake?).

    > Was working fine with my usb adapter and driver on both old and new
    > systems. Usb adapter and driver works fine on other drives still.

    > Suddenly the Hitachi will no longer respond to the loading usb driver
    > and is not recognized by 2 independent systems. No error message. No
    > noises or clicking from drive, sounds normal spinning up.

    > I guess I must have touched the circuitry and destroyed the controller?
    > Is that the reason?

    Just touching the circuitry rarely destroys the hardware. It
    may destroy a bit of data though.

    Arno

    Arno, Aug 29, 2009