Hard Drive prices going crazy...

Reaction score
What is going on?

I am pricing systems up every so often for the time in a month or two I have enough moolah to build a new pooter to play BF3 on. And maybe, in about 10 years, HL3.

I found a thread a did on here back in March where I priced up a system with a standard Seagate Barracuda 1TB HD. It cost £37.99 on overclockers.

Now, that exact same drive is an incredible £62.99! Its not just overclockers, its the same everywhere.

On top of that, prices have actually increased in the last 6 months on most of the components I priced up back then, including the Asus P87 mobo, the 2500k processor and the Geforce 570.

What is going on? Should I be buying sooner rather than later, are prices going to keep going up?

Reaction score
Supply & Demand?
If your making the product you want to charge as much as you can!:(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
FWIW I've been monitoring prices of games for PC & Xbox for several months and have noticed the greater majority have actually increased in price over a three month period.

I don't understand why but would have assumed in this recession hit time that suppliers would be cutting prices to the bone rather than raising them. Quite odd.

Hard drive prices will be influenced by how many are available and as Sony's UK warehouse holding hundreds of thousands of hard drives was burnt down recently - during the August riots I believe - that may have a bearing on their current pricing.

Conversely, DDR3 memory prices, I notice, have been falling.

Reaction score
Yes it is supply and demand and the fact where the items in the East have been hit by natural disaster and now many manufacturers in hard drives in Thailand has now been hit with the flooding in and factories have been shut down E.G. Seagate and many others. So it looks that prices will rise even more before they become stable and I would expect that companies will try to recoup there losses and the recession will not help.:cry: I am just glad I have a couple of spare hard drives.

Reaction score
My day-job involves economic analysis and there are two main trends that I would suggest are having an impact:
1. The impact of the natural disasters that has already been mentioned
2. The impact of rising energy costs linked to oil supply prices

Basically, the concept of 'Peak oil' is now starting to impact on prices globally because everyone has to pay more to produce what they sell because they have to pay more for the energy needed to make stuff. the age of cheap energy is over - off-shore drilling by United Arab Emirates wouldn't be happening if they had easy-to-drill-for supplies inland; the BP oil spill took so long to sort because they have to drill at depths where only robots can survive and therefore need remote control to operate...again because there's no easy access to oil now.

Most optimistic estimates suggest that we hit peak oil globally a few years ago. The price of everything will just keep going up at an increasing rate because of this one simple fact.

UK petrol consumption fell by 15% in the last year as people cut back. It lost the Govt around £1Bn in revenue that puts extra pressure on their ability to cut back on national debt.

Supermarkets saw an increase in fuel revenues - why? - Because we all look for the cheapest prices and they have them.

Within a few years I reckon the fuel in your tank will be worth more than the car you drive.

Sorry to go all serious, but not enough people are paying attention to this glaringly obvious ****storm:cry:

Reaction score
This issue doesn't just deserve a comment in a thread in a forum, or even a whole thread in a forum, it deserves a forum...oh hang on...there are some!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thats just Overclockers cashing in!

I have seen lots of 1TB drives still around the 60 squid mark

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
About the cheapest I've seen a 1Tb SATA III HDD is a few pennies under £100.

Which makes me pleased I bought all the disks I needed for the forseeable future just before the price hike.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah same, I got a few in a while ago, My PC is 3TB on its own. Must be about 10Tb around the house at the mo!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ouch, these prices really have gone up recently. I got 2 x 2GB drives a few months back for £100 for both :eek:

Ask a Question