Hard disk physical sector size

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by guru, Jun 1, 2006.

  1. guru

    guru Guest

    Hi all,

    Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
    size.

    Thanks & Regards

    -Guru
     
    guru, Jun 1, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. On 31 May 2006 22:02:18 -0700, "guru" <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
    >size.
    >
    >Thanks & Regards
    >
    >-Guru


    Yes.
     
    David A.Lethe, Jun 1, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. guru

    guru Guest

    David A.Lethe wrote:
    > On 31 May 2006 22:02:18 -0700, "guru" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all,
    > >
    > >Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
    > >size.
    > >
    > >Thanks & Regards
    > >
    > >-Guru

    >
    > Yes.


    Hi,

    I wanted to know those methods.

    I know one method..

    in Linux, by calling IOCTL system call with requrest parameter
    BLKSSZGET , I was able to get block size.

    For CDROM it is giving 512 and for REV disk it is given 2048.

    is there any other method to cross check

    Regards

    Guru
     
    guru, Jun 1, 2006
    #3
  4. guru

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously guru <> wrote:
    > Hi all,


    > Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
    > size.


    No. The devices can lie to you. You have to look into the
    documantation.

    Arno
     
    Arno Wagner, Jun 1, 2006
    #4
  5. "Arno Wagner" <> wrote in message news:
    > Previously guru <> wrote:
    > > Hi all,

    >
    > > Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
    > > size.

    >
    > No.


    > The devices can lie to you.


    Rotflol.

    > You have to look into the documantation.


    Yes please, check the 'documantation'. The 'documantation' never lies.

    Now Arnie, what if the 'documantation' says that the sector size can
    be any size betweeen X and Y?

    >
    > Arno
     
    Folkert Rienstra, Jun 1, 2006
    #5
  6. guru

    Moojit Guest

    yes. download and run SCSI Utility for Windows. After scanning for devices,
    hightlight the disk you're interested in and send a READ CAPACITY command
    using the Menu item entries.

    "guru" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
    > size.
    >
    > Thanks & Regards
    >
    > -Guru
    >
     
    Moojit, Jun 4, 2006
    #6
  7. guru

    guru Guest

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > Previously guru <> wrote:
    > > Hi all,

    >
    > > Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
    > > size.

    >
    > No. The devices can lie to you. You have to look into the
    > documantation.
    >
    > Arno


    hi,

    'documentation' means... which document??

    device specific documentation?

    Thanks
     
    guru, Jun 5, 2006
    #7
  8. guru

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously guru <> wrote:

    > Arno Wagner wrote:


    >> Previously guru <> wrote:
    >> > Hi all,

    >>
    >> > Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
    >> > size.

    >>
    >> No. The devices can lie to you. You have to look into the
    >> documantation.
    >>
    >> Arno


    > hi,


    > 'documentation' means... which document??


    > device specific documentation?


    Device-specific.

    Arno
     
    Arno Wagner, Jun 5, 2006
    #8
  9. guru

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Arno Wagner <> wrote:
    > Previously guru <> wrote:


    >> Arno Wagner wrote:


    >>> Previously guru <> wrote:
    >>> > Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> > Is there any method to check - hard disk/cdrom/rev disk physical sector
    >>> > size.
    >>>
    >>> No. The devices can lie to you. You have to look into the
    >>> documantation.
    >>>
    >>> Arno


    >> hi,


    >> 'documentation' means... which document??


    >> device specific documentation?


    > Device-specific.


    Some numbers true today: HDD: 512 bytes, CDROM (data!) 2048 bytes.
    MOD: 512 bytes or 2048 bytes, depending on the disk, not the drive.

    Arno
     
    Arno Wagner, Jun 5, 2006
    #9
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. AW

    Sector By Sector Cloning

    AW, Dec 11, 2004, in forum: Storage Devices
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    350
    Mike Redrobe
    Dec 13, 2004
  2. Peter Frank

    Sector-by-sector images with Acronis TrueImage?

    Peter Frank, Apr 28, 2005, in forum: Storage Devices
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    428
    Peter
    Apr 29, 2005
  3. Rod Speed

    Re: sector by sector HDD copying issues

    Rod Speed, Jul 22, 2009, in forum: Storage Devices
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    351
    Rod Speed
    Jul 22, 2009
  4. andy

    Re: sector by sector HDD copying issues

    andy, Jul 22, 2009, in forum: Storage Devices
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    359
    Eric Gisin
    Jul 26, 2009
  5. Arno

    Re: sector by sector HDD copying issues

    Arno, Jul 23, 2009, in forum: Storage Devices
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    286
Loading...

Share This Page