Hacker off to the tin pale..........

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Tip of the iceberg ... nice stiff sentence though. :)

I wonder how computer users would feel if, they also had to take some responsibility to protect their PCs ... I mean, this guy gained access to 500,000 computers ... now how about fining those 500,000 people also for neglect. ;)

Just a thought. :D

Reaction score
Not just neglect for computer either. How about for neglect for not cleaning their car for example?

Off topic I knw but never the less a great metaphore I think

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Have to agree with triplex on this one I'm afraid. That's like fining the victum of a burglary for not having bars on his windows.

Reaction score
Oh no!! Now look what you have done, you will have mucks on here ranting and raving any second now!! :)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Oh Goodie :D I love a good rant! I'll just go polish my soap box ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Oh no!! Now look what you have done, you will have mucks on here ranting and raving any second now!! :)
Nope! not today ...

However, I will say PC users need to take some responsibility for the safety of their own PCs ... you would never leave your house without at least locking the door now would you?

:)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Nope! not today ...

However, I will say PC users need to take some responsibility for the safety of their own PCs ... you would never leave your house without at least locking the door now would you?

:)

Eh, actually mate, i did that the other day. Was slightly worrying when i got home!! :-/

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
I agree with you completely mucks, things are not the way they were. When I was a kid & no one would've dreamed of locking their doors except when they went away on holidy or the like. Things have changed and for me to leave my door unlocked like that now would be incredibly stupid of me. But despite varying opinions on the matter, stupidity is still not a crime & even if I was stupid, failing to keep someone out, is not the same as inviting them in.
Did you know that it takes a good car thief less than 20 seconds to pop the lock on a car? Less time than most people spend hunting through their keys. Our car doesn't come with an alarm, but I still aren't inviting anyone to steal it.

I knew a guy once a few years ago. A real pratt. A hacker who enjoyed showing off his skill. He told me that if he already knows what OS you use & what antivirus program you have he can pretty much waltz his way into your computer. Not having that info would only slow him down of course. Not stop him. But nevertheless most virus writers aren't interested in the unprotected computer, they get their jollies from beating the system & showing off how clever they are. If they didn't you wouldn't be updating your antivirus program each morning.

This article specifically said that these viruses were designed to be invisible. A malicious virus is quickly detected & sheilded against. But one that hides & does it's work below the surface can skip detection a very long time. Any one of us could've been a part of this guy's 'network' & never have known it.
I hate to ask it but I have wondered since even before I started running the R@H program But, how often are they checked for piggyback programes? And by whom? I knew that it was a calculated risk before I started running it, I chose to do it anyway because I believe in the importance of the potential product of the programme. But I do know that it is a risk.
& P2P download sites are well known for carrying viruses... Anyone here programmed theirs with a nice little invite through their firewall? And these are just examples. Everyone has downloaded something somewhere.. you want to be paranoid & wonder just exactly who works for the company that designed it? In fact maybe we shouldn't even be online.
Antivirus programes are designed to detect virus like software. What a wonderful challenge that must be to any ego impaired little virus writer.

I've gotta go now, gotta go polish up that soap box again... it's a big one... reckon I could live in it if I bricked up the doorway solid enough :)

:p

muckshifter

Reaction score
cirianz, you bring a smillie to my face every time. :D

Just another thought here ... Computer Insurance, anybody got any?

You know the insurance I mean ... where they pay up if "vandals" (hackers) break-in and trash the place ... how much compensation do you get? or is it 'un-insurable' ... :rolleyes:

;)

Ask a Question