Guild Wars...

Reaction score
Years ago I was curious about WoW, and bought it. Got into it for a while but the £9/month fee grated on me too much to I stopped. Wasn't worth it, even though I enjoyed being able to do whatever I wanted in a really non-linear way.

Just seen Guild Wars 2 is coming out. Is Guild Wars any good? I'm only a casual gamer generally, and compared to some MMO people I probably hardly register as playing at all.

I would like to have a game where I can just wander about and not pay a monthly fee for the privilege. Its a nice break from the shooters which I spend most of my gaming time on.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Guild Wars is a really good game, I've been playing for a few years and thoroughly enjoy it.

The Guild Wars "world" is pretty vast - plenty to do, plenty to see and some good battles and challenges to be had. You can choose how often or how little you want to play.... with no monthly fees, you don't lose anything by taking a break. :cool:

Be warned though, folk have been known to get hooked! ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.planeshift.it/about.html

http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/beginners_guide#character_creation

http://eso.perfectworld.com/gameinfo/story

http://www.ryzom.com/en/index.html

Multiplayer Consensual PvP

Different types of PvP combat coexist in our MMORPG, and since not everyone likes PvP in an MMORPG, you can choose whether or not to get involved. If you are looking to engage in multiplayer combat, the game offers various possibilities: Duels, GvG, FvF and full PvP.

Ain't a clue about any of them but I had them in me bookmarks fo r a future look. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
GW is a damn good gap filler untill GW2 hits the street ... TC will easily show you around. :nod:

http://www.guildwars.com/freetrial/

I suggest you go for GW Nightfall, is the latest of the troligy and I found the easiest to play solo, but is more fun with friends. :)

Reaction score
Interesting.

That was a good point TC - I think the only reason I played WoW at all after the first few weeks was because I was paying for the privilege!

I didn't get hooked to WoW so I doubt I would get hooked to GW. Cheers for the info Mucks and TC, will definitely get GW2 when it comes out. May even take advantage of the free trial, although I would imagine it would be very much like WoW.

Cheers for the links too AB, but I don't really want to play a free one. I played Runescape once and it was abysmal.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes PG - I'm looking forward to GW 2, it should be really good.

Meanwhile though, it's possible to pick up GW "Prophesies" and "Factions" for about £6 each now, "Nightfall" is around £10 - pretty good prices really. If you spot "Eye of the North" (around a fiver,) bear in mind that it's an expansion pack, not a stand alone game.

A quote from Guild Wars.com:

Your achievements, trophies, and titles from Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North will not be forgotten. Your Hall of Monuments will preserve them until your descendants can claim them in Guild Wars 2.
:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I got Guild Wars 1 a while ago, package comprised 4 games - Guild wars: Eye Of The North; Guild Wars Nightfall; Guild Wars Factions and Guild Wars Prophecies.

One of them was a standalone apparently, which I found very confusing.

I gave it about 90 minutes, it just didn't grab me at all and I thought the graphics weren't that clever.

It's still installed, I still have the game and the little credit card pass code thingie, keep wondering whether I'll go back to it or not, but probably won't.

Actually, think I got it for my birthday last year so I've had it quite a while now.

I've never played WOW but I did try (and still have) Warcraft Three. I think that was possibly a good game but I couldn't understand the bloody thing at all :confused: Think I got through about three levels and gave up.

Obviously not the genre for me then ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Flopps - just to clarify, all three games are stand-alones, it's only Eye of the North that is an expansion. :thumb:

If you don't mind me asking, which professions did you try? And which campaign? If you say "all of 'em" then fair enough, it's not your thing. :lol:

However, Prophesies and Factions can, when you're starting off, both be a tad confusing (terrain-wise.)

In Prophesies, Ascalon has quite harsh landscapes, with lots of high-sided ravines etc., whilst Factions' Cantha, can be a bit of a maze, which can take a while to find your way around. (Lol, it has become one of my favourite areas actually.)

You also can't play with any henchies or mates when you're beginning with Prophesies, so some professions are going to be a bit squishier than others, and that can be frustrating, until you know what you're doing, then (I think) the challenges are a bit more fun.

As Mucks has said, "Nightfall" is sometimes a bit easier to get to grips with when one is new to GW. Your character levels more quickly too, and you can play with henchies or team up with other players if you want to.

It might still not be your thing, and that's cool, but before ditching the game completely, it might just be worth giving a totally different profession/campaign a go. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I can't remember which profession I tried, probably 'warrior' if there is such a class, that's the role I usually take - meathead :D - in those sort of games, nowt too clever like wizard or sage for me.

I must confess I didn't try too hard, I think I had several other new games at the same time which may have distracted me.

So are there still lots of people still playing GW1? many newcomers like myself? I may very well go back and give it another try, thanks for the info :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I can't remember which profession I tried, probably 'warrior' if there is such a class, that's the role I usually take - meathead :D - in those sort of games, nowt too clever like wizard or sage for me.

I must confess I didn't try too hard, I think I had several other new games at the same time which may have distracted me.

So are there still lots of people still playing GW1? many newcomers like myself? I may very well go back and give it another try, thanks for the info :)

Oh yes Flopps, still a lot playing :thumb: At different times of the day, you can always switch between districts (servers) too - i.e., yesterday it was a bit quiet in the UK district when I was playing, so I switched to US, where it was much busier.

Yes, there are still lots of newcomers too, and all ages play.

Suggestion: instead of Warrior, you might think of giving one of the Casters a go - such as Elementalist. Instead of getting up close and personal, it's more similar to FPS (sort-of) and you can still do a lot of damage.

I'm a bit "sad" because I've managed to accrue about a whole bunch of characters, covering every profession. Least favourite is Monk - I'm happier killing things (guess that must be the feline instinct rising!! :lol:)

I'm looking after Mucks' Guild whilst he is away doing battle elsewhere, so let me know if you'd like an invite (so that you have a base.) Don't worry, I won't bother you if you prefer to do your own thing, but if you need a hand, please don't be afraid to give me a shout. :D

Ask a Question