Guess who we met yesterday...?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It was only bloomin' CHRIS HADFIELD! :eek: :thumb:

Chris Hadfield.jpg

He gave a really interesting talk (he speaks really well - bet that's not something they teach at astronaut training camp) and we had the chance to meet him afterwards. What a thoroughly nice guy!

He's launching some new YouTube videos soon, titled "It's not Rocket Science". Sounds like they're going to be interesting - certainly worth keeping an eye out for.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ColChrisHadfield

Oh and we didn't intentionally match our clothes btw, it happened by accident :blush:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oooh, you lucky people! :thumb: What a super opportunity, it must have been an extremely interesting encounter.

On a side note, it's great to see you looking so well Becky. (Love the co-ordinated togs too ;))

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Oooh, you lucky people! :thumb: What a super opportunity, it must have been an extremely interesting encounter.

On a side note, it's great to see you looking so well Becky. (Love the co-ordinated togs too ;))

Thanks TC! :D I keep joking to people that I'm not designed for life in a gravity-environment - the discs in my back and my circulation would be a lot better without it. I don't think ESA would accept that as a good enough reason to become an astronaut, sadly ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I thought I'd replied to this, turns out I did actually hit reply lol.... turns out the site saves your reply though, handy!

Not going to lie, I didn't know who he was. (don't hate me) :blush:

However a quick Google later and now I do!

Bet you both really enjoyed the talk though, can imagine it was right up your street! :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Oh c'mon, you must know him from his Space Oddity recording?

Here's an overview if you don't know who he is:

• Retired Canadian astronaut
  • He was the first Canadian to do a space walk, and the first (and only - so far) Canadian commander of the ISS
  • Had 3 space flights
  • He was NASA's Director of Operations in Russia, and after that was Chief of Robotics in Houston.

In short, he is a total dude :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ah, I actually remember watching that video when it came out. :lol:

:blush:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I also had no idea until you posted the Space Oddity clip. :blush:

But I do now. :D

Reaction score
I have got admit I did not know who it was until I played the video. No wonder you were so chuffed. My space hero was Dan Dare from the Eagle comic from many years ago.:fool:

Reaction score
I have got admit I did not know who it was until I played the video. No wonder you were so chuffed. My space hero was Dan Dare from the Eagle comic from many years ago.
And possibly your too young for Dick Barton - Special Agent?
Of which I got my Dad the talking story CD recently for hs Birthday.

Reaction score
Oh I remember Dick Barton - Special Agent and his sidekick Snowy used to be on at 6.45 on the Light program superseded by the Archers. I can remember the signature tune. I was most put out when that was taken off to be replaced by the Archers, Found this on the net:-

Uploaded on 9 Apr 2008
AAAA.100315Z APR 2008 Some years ago I had an occasion to visit the BBC Bookshop in Langham Place W1 near the BBC Not to sure whether it is still there. There I spotted a tape made by the BBC Radio of one of the first episodes of Dick Barton Special Agent; It was when all the actors of that program got together and re-recorded this episode. My word it brought back a lot of memories...At 6.45PM the streets were empty for 15 minutes. A survey had been done and they found that...20 million children used to listen...It was far better than James silly Bond !! No sex, No bad language, Just a good old-fashioned sock on the jaw...But in AD1951 BBC replaced it by `The Archers`!

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
My space hero was Dan Dare from the Eagle comic from many years ago.

Wow, Dan Dare. Shows your age BN but I too remember that.

His main adversary, I seem to remember, was The Mekon, that little naked, green fella with the large head who sat on a floating saucer.

Ahh...... happy days. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Oh I remember Dick Barton - Special Agent and his sidekick Snowy used to be on at 6.45 on the Light program superseded by the Archers. I can remember the signature tune. I was most put out when that was taken off to be replaced by the Archers, Found this on the net:-

Uploaded on 9 Apr 2008
AAAA.100315Z APR 2008 Some years ago I had an occasion to visit the BBC Bookshop in Langham Place W1 near the BBC Not to sure whether it is still there. There I spotted a tape made by the BBC Radio of one of the first episodes of Dick Barton Special Agent; It was when all the actors of that program got together and re-recorded this episode. My word it brought back a lot of memories...At 6.45PM the streets were empty for 15 minutes. A survey had been done and they found that...20 million children used to listen...It was far better than James silly Bond !! No sex, No bad language, Just a good old-fashioned sock on the jaw...But in AD1951 BBC replaced it by `The Archers`!

Here are a few more Dick memories for you.

https://archive.org/details/otr_dickbartonspecialagent

http://www.radioechoes.com/dick-barton-special-agent?searchTerms=dick barton

http://otrarchive.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/dick-barton-special-agent.html

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/229321/Long-lost-radio-hero-Dick-Barton-returns

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dick-Barton...d_cp_14_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=02YHJJNVD945EP5AW6G2

Dan Dare was great :dance:

Ask a Question