    or a cable connection we get timed out with the 721.

    Thanks
    Steve

    Guest, Oct 17, 2005

  2. if both client and server are windows, you may try pptpclnt and pptpsrv tools. check this page for more details,

    VPN Troubleshooting Tools
    VPN Troubleshooting Tools. 1. PPTPclnt and PPTPsrv to test GRE and PPTP .... Troubleshooting IPSec Tools ...

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "SteveP" <> wrote in message news:D...
    Hi,
    How can we be sure GRE is working?
    We have an ISA2004 server that we want to use as a VPN server and
    can not seem to connect. Everything we read pretty much is saying to make
    sure we have GRE enabled.

    What happens is when we try to connect from an external location via dialup

    ESteveP, Oct 18, 2005

    ESteveP Guest

    Ok, thank you for these tools, used the pptpsrv and clnt and found that my
    remote client is sending GRE packets but the server is not recieving them.
    Reversed the roles and made the client the server and vice versa and
    everything is good in that scenario.

    So it looks like my router, manged by my ISP is not allowing inbound GRE or
    the ISP is blocking GRE. ISP tells me that my router is wide open and is
    acting only like a bridge scince we had a pix behind it. That is as far as
    tech support from them goes, one guy told me he never heard of GRE and
    wouldnt know how to check.

    I also tried connecting our test server to the inet via dialup and then ran
    pptpsvr and the client connected and talked fine.

    Again I think it is either the ISP or the router. The router btw is a
    netopia 7100-c. Sent ISP mgmt a long letter asking for higher level support
    with this.

    Will keep everyone posted, if interested. Any feed back is greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks Again

    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    http://www.HowToNetworking.com

    ESteveP, Oct 19, 2005

    Bill Grant Guest

    GRE (Generic Routing Encapsulation) is an IP protocol, just like TCP or
    UDP. PPTP sets up and maintains the VPN connection. The data crossing the
    link is encrypted and then encapsulated with a GRE header. If anything in
    the path blocks GRE, no data is transmitted and the connection closes.

    Bill Grant, Oct 19, 2005

    ESteveP Guest

    Hey all,
    Looks like the manager at my ISP got everything going. He did find the
    router firewall blocking traffic and the Netopia firmware out of date.
    Robert, Thanks for pointing me to those tools, gave me the ammo I needed to
    was open on the router and nothing is being blocked. Funny how the manager
    found it. Anyway, in the end as long as it is working all is good.

    Now I have to figure why the dialup clients work fine but one with a cable
    internet connection wont browse :)

    Again...
    Thank you all
    Steve