Graphics Card on a budget

Reaction score
I have an old PC that I'm wanting to "Max Out" the spec. Once this is done I'll kick off buildling the Dogs B's of PC's and use the older one for networking.

The PC in question anyway is running on a TMC TI6NBF+ motherboard with a P3 500 and 256MB SDRAM.

Just to confuse me even more from the research I've been doing online, I'd like to ask the forum what Graphics Card would you suggest on a budget of around £40. I'm going to be using WIN TV (USB) adapter on this machine as well so this could effect what card you'd suggest.

I'll be the first one to say "You get what you pay for" but the less I pay on a card adds onto the money I can spend on the beast I'll be building next :D

Like the site

Cheers folks

Toby

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
GeForce 2 ... :brow: should fit the bill nicely ...

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
I would also look into the gf4 mx 420 , its not a whole lot more $$ but its about 50 % faster then a gf2 mx 400 . The 420 also has TV out (most do) and a great 2d look compared to the gf2 and 3 line . That is just what I think , Mucks is right though , also Mucks , what would that translate to in USD , any idea where I can check that so I want have to ask you ever again how that about $$ ;)

wildone

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yep, running a GF4 MX420 at the moment ... just testing in a "real world" environment, no benchmarks, and just ordinary programs. There is a real big improvement in Warcraft III from a GF2 MX400 to the GF4 MX 420 ... :D

Finding it very hard to get any supply of GF2's. :angry:

As for pricing Mike ... :D ... we here in the UK find it very hard to get ££££ usually WE have to convert it from $$. One of my suppliers still has the GF2 rtl @ £29.98 (+Tax/VAT) and the GF4 MX420 rtl (inc S-video & Digital-out) @ £42.81 + the dreaded Tax. At those prices I've been getting the 420's :D

Try Here for a US comparison. ;)

Reaction score
I'd check out the Geforce4 MX line (lower end), or maybe even the Radeon 9000. Maybe you could get a good deal on the 7000, too. I'm not sure if that's out of your budget.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
toby:

I don't know if this is too late but have you considered an ATI card?

The 32MB DDR flavour, the 7200 I believe, last price I saw was £27.00. I used one of these for around a year and I was very impressed with it.

It handled all the games I could throw at it, never baulked once.

For that price, I'd certainly consider one of these cards.

Ask a Question