Got my upgrade, whats next?

Reaction score
Ok as you may tell by mt updated sig ive upgraded my ram from 256mb of pc 3100 ram to 1024 mb of pc3200 ddr400 ram running in dual channel linear mode:D .
So.... whats next? price range of about £175 for gfx card. All sugestions please

Reaction score
Dual channel linear mode is when the first slot on each section is occupied,

like...

............................................................................... ocupied
................................................................................empty

................................................................................ocupied
................................................................................empty

Reaction score
Consoles Suck tell me mate...............

how does it feel to have that kind of ram is it MUCH MUCH FASTER???!!!

and what u gona do with your old 256mb ram? id be interested in it possibly

Reaction score
Yeh, i ran a memory read benchmark before upgrade and got 800mbps now i get 1900:)

old ram has been passed on 2 my dad:mad: sorry

Reaction score
does it not then have to be linear to be dual channel e.g.

Blue slot
Purple slot
Blue slot
Purple slot

if you have 2 sticks, they have to occupy the same colour to run in dual channel

Reaction score
blue slot - occupied
blue slot - occupied
NOT DUAL CHANNEL
purple slot - empty
purple slot - empty

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
blue slot - occupied
blue slot - empty
DUAL CHANNEL LINEAR
purple slot - occupied
purple slot - empty
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
blue slot - occupied
blue slot - occupied
DUAL CHANNEL DUAL
purple slot - occupied
purple slot - occupied

Kye

Reaction score
whats the difference between dual channel linear and daul channel? or is the only difference the configuration?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hey console i agree with Kye on the Geforce 6800 (GT, naturally) or you can get a water cooling kit for kicks.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
About dual memory & linear mode:

Sounds peculiar to that MSI board to me ;)

Only dual channel memory setup I've come across is using channels 1 & 3 to get dual memory mode.

Or if there's 4 DIMM slots, using four sticks of identical RAM to enable dual memory mode.

That's a new one on me as well, I'm wondering just what, exactly, the benefits of 'linear' memory mode are. And just what it does, in fact.

Aye, you do learn something new every day ;)

Reaction score
i thought that, well take my "blue and purple" slot scenario...

Blue - RAM
purple - EMPTY
Blue - RAM
purple - EMPTY

in that scenario, the two blues would work in dual channel mode

if:

Blue - RAM
purple - RAM
Blue - RAM
purple - RAM

then the two blues would work in dual with the two purples...

I'm guessing that if you have 2 sticks of RAM, then the only mode you can have is linear (or no dual channel)

Kye

Reaction score
everyone goes on about the GT, puttin me off my vanilla 6800.

some people only ever have the res of 1024 by 768. thus, meaning, a vanilla 6800 will be with me for a long, long, long, long time. i also consider what your upgrading from.

a MMX440 too a FX5900XT, considering that upgrade its worth while, yea he or she might be better off with a 6800 or playing the game of personal attrition with 6600GT, but still!

slightly slower core engine clock speed, 12 pipelines...paying another, at cheapest £60 for 16pipelines and slightly faster clock speeeeeeeeds.

the XFX GeForce 6800 Extreme Gamers Edition 128MB DDR seems the fastest vanilla 6800! next down too a galaxy 6800.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, £60.00 - £80.00 is a lot of money really, more to some than others, so ya gotta cut ya cloth according to ya means, as they say.

I noticed that BFG 6800GT at PCW, it's a really good price. Tempting.

Seems it's a pretty good card as well, here's a review: BFG 6800 GT

Ask a Question