    I have Windows XP Home Edition with updates and am using
    PC-cillin anti-virus, recently updated.

    Angela

    Angela, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Angela

    Linda Guest

    What happens when you type google.com and click search in
    the address bar at the top of Internet Explorer?

    Linda, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Can you go to other search sites? If not, you may have the QHOSTS trojan. If
    you ping www.google.com, what IP address do you get in reply?

    See
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.qhosts.html

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Oct 18, 2003
  4. Angela

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the response.

    I get the <this page cannot be found> message.

    Angela

    Guest, Oct 18, 2003
  5. Angela

    Guest Guest

    I can get other sites, Alta Vista.ca is working but not
    altavista.com (same error message). Can get Excite but not
    Ask Jeeges (same error message)

    I am learing fast but don't yet know how to Ping.
    Can you tell me how to do that?

    Angela

    Guest, Oct 18, 2003
  6. Angela

    GoumbaYa Guest

    Sounds like your hostfile has been modified. Could be spyware or a pop-up
    blocker. Do you have any installed?

    GoumbaYa, Oct 18, 2003
  7. Go to start | run
    Type cmd
    Hit enter

    In the command prompt, type

    ping www.google.com

    and hit enter.

    It should give you an IP address even if it doesn't reply.

    I think you do have QHOSTS. Did you check out the Symantec link I gave you?

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Oct 18, 2003
  8. Angela

    Angela Guest

    I have AdAware which I had neglected to update until today.
    Is that a Pop-up blocker - I don't think it can be because
    I get a lot of pop-ups.

    Angela

    Angela, Oct 18, 2003
  9. Angela

    Angela Guest

    I did the ping
    IP address it gave me is 207.44.220.30

    Yes, I looked at Symantec and downloaded the q828750
    security patch.

    When I tried to install it I got a message saying that
    Internet Explorer 6 needs to be installed...it IS, that's
    the edition of IE that I am using.

    And then I discovered that q828750 is already on my
    computer (I get regular updates from microsoft).

    Angela

    Angela, Oct 18, 2003
  10. Angela

    Prityush Guest

    Angela, Before doing anyhting just go ahead and cleanup ur
    host file in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc in XP Pro. and
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. Delete any entries for
    google.com and its ip address (some numbers written in
    front of it)in there, or u can also delete the host file
    itself, from there. It should solve the issue.

    Prityush, Oct 18, 2003
  11. Angela

    Angela Guest

    I think I'm getting out of my depth here!

    At c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc.
    all I can see is: hosts - lmhosts - networks - protocol -
    services

    There's nothing that appears to be related to Google.

    What happens if I delete the hosts and/or lmhosts files?

    Angela

    Angela, Oct 18, 2003
  12. Angela,

    You should open the HOSTS file in Notepad to edit it. You can rename it,
    rather than delete it, and the information in it won't be used. The same
    for LMHOSTS

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes

    Doug Knox MS-MVP, Oct 18, 2003
  13. Angela

    Guest

    Well Just remove the hosts file, because it will most
    probably will nerver be used by u in future. Same with the
    the LMHost file.

    , Oct 18, 2003
  14. Angela

    Prityush Guest

    Just delete or rename thing hosts file
    -Prityush

    Prityush, Oct 18, 2003
  15. If this is qhosts, it's put another hosts file in the system and repointed
    the registry at it. Hence my suggestion to look at the qhosts removal
    instructions from the symantec site.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Oct 18, 2003
  16. Angela

    Angela Guest

    Do you mean <hosts> or <lmhosts> or both?
    (I'm scared to just delete files that appear to have been
    there since the computer was first setup).
    <lmhosts> is a SAM file. Can you tell me what that means?

    Angela

    Angela, Oct 19, 2003
  17. Angela

    Angela Guest

    I managed to open both these files with Notepad and found
    no reference to Google in either of them.

    I renamed them.
    Rebooted the computer including unplugging the modem for a
    couple of minutes but I STILL get the error message <There
    is no website configured at this address> when I try to
    access Google search engine (google.com or google.ca)

    Angela

    Angela, Oct 19, 2003
  18. Angela

    Angela Guest

    I get an error message saying <There is no website
    configured at this address>

    Angela

    Angela, Oct 19, 2003

  19. >-----Original Message-----
    >Do you mean <hosts> or <lmhosts> or both?
    >(I'm scared to just delete files that appear to have been
    >there since the computer was first setup).
    ><lmhosts> is a SAM file. Can you tell me what that means?
    >
    >Angela

    Greeting Angela,

    Prityush is correct, just delete the hosts, lmhosts and
    any flle that has hosts.

    regards
    David Harvard

    David Harvard, Oct 19, 2003
  20. Did you read what I wrote about qhosts? If you have it, it uses another
    hosts file. Do a search for "hosts" and see what you find.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Oct 20, 2003