Google Drive

Reaction score
I just received my confirmation that it's now open. I think I'll be using this in conjunction with TrueCrypt though, as I don't trust Cloud storage very much.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
This could be a problem -

"Let’s generalise this to the cloud. Historically, Dropbox and Microsoft's SkyDrive and Trend Micro’s SafeSync let you keep your copyright and IP rights to the files you upload to their cloud storage. This is a sane and normal approach for businesses," Asprey said.
However, the Google terms of service read, "Your Content in our Services: When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide licence (sic) to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.
"The rights that you grant in this licence are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This licence continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing that you have added to Google Maps)."

This is quoted from iTWire http://www.itwire.com/business-it-n...oogle-drive-slammed-for-compromising-security

Let's hope it can be sorted out soon.

I do use Cloud Storage but only for general items that are not personal. However, I'm not too keen on that paragraph above.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I use Dropbox and Dropsend normally, but shall give this a look for sure :D

Reaction score
Google is completely free and already super easy to integrate because if you use gmail, google docs or any other google product then you can have Google Drive.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
So basically Google are saying 'Thanks for all the free photos, we now have a huge database of images to use as we see fit'. Just like Facebook.

I don't trust any online storage. At all. I use webspace supplied by my ISP and another Forum owner - and those are, of course, not without risk - and any pix I upload to Facebook I kiss goodbye to as far as copyright is concerned.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I just received my confirmation that it's now open. I think I'll be using this in conjunction with TrueCrypt though, as I don't trust Cloud storage very much.

Very good plan! The extra encryption should make it more viable for most stuff :thumb:.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Difference with Facebook thugh, is you control who sees what.

You may control which Facebook members get to see your pictures but you can't control who Facebook want to show them to.

Legally Facebook can use any pictures you submit to their site in any reasonable way they see fit, most notably for commercial purposes.

It's all there in the agreement you sign when you subscribe.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Very good plan! The extra encryption should make it more viable for most stuff :thumb:.

You might find this interesting,

http://www.gpg4win.org/about.html

Gpg4win (GNU Privacy Guard for Windows) is an encryption software for files and emails.

Best thing about Google Drive and otheres is that you can use them to host your own videos, which are generally tqo large for most photo hosting sites. :)

Ask a Question