    After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
    seconds to several minutes. His favorite are the ones that
    rattle. He'll play with any ball that makes noise.

    Daniel Prince, May 3, 2012

  2. Daniel Prince

    Rod Speed Guest

    Daniel Prince <> wrote

    > Does any company currently make good
    > quality two terabyte SATA hard drives?

    Samsung does, but they have just had their hard
    drive operation bought by Seagate, so it remains
    to be seen what will happen with those drives now.

    > I have read that both Seagate and Western Digital now
    > have severe quality problems and that Hitachi and Samsung
    > have been bought up by Seagate and Western Digital.

    And that's all there is.

    > Are there any reasonably priced drives that
    > will last several years and keep my data safe?

    Yes, Samsung drives. There are still some around, but you'd better be quick.

    Rod Speed, May 3, 2012

  3. Daniel Prince

    Grant Guest

    On Thu, 03 May 2012 07:50:44 -0700, Daniel Prince <> wrote:

    >Does any company currently make good quality two terabyte SATA hard
    >drives? I have read that both Seagate and Western Digital now have
    >severe quality problems and that Hitachi and Samsung have been
    >bought up by Seagate and Western Digital.

    Samsung had a problem with their 2TB drives, I returned mine for
    refund, bought a couple of Seagate 5900rpm drives which perform
    well, one in a Linux box, other in a Win7 box.

    >Are there any reasonably priced drives that will last several years
    >and keep my data safe? Thank you in advance for all replies.

    Never any guarantee for keeping data safe, keep multiple copies or
    buy/build a NAS store with RAID6 might help.

    Grant.

    Grant, May 4, 2012
  4. Daniel Prince

    Rod Speed Guest

    Grant <> wrote
    > Daniel Prince <> wrote

    >> Does any company currently make good quality two terabyte
    >> SATA hard drives? I have read that both Seagate and Western
    >> Digital now have severe quality problems and that Hitachi and
    >> Samsung have been bought up by Seagate and Western Digital.

    > Samsung had a problem with their 2TB drives,

    Like hell they did. Mine are fine and I have heaps of them too.

    Rod Speed, May 4, 2012
  5. Daniel Prince wrote:

    > Does any company currently make good quality two terabyte SATA hard
    > drives? I have read that both Seagate and Western Digital now have
    > severe quality problems and that Hitachi and Samsung have been
    > bought up by Seagate and Western Digital.
    >
    > Are there any reasonably priced drives that will last several years
    > and keep my data safe?

    Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, Samsung -- not one I've bought has
    failed (but I back up like crazy anyway).

    If you're using a version of Windows older than Vista, like XP,
    Seagates make the only hard drives wtih 4KB sectors that don't need
    their partitions to be aligned to prevent slow writes. OTOH it's not
    hard to create 4KB aligned partitons.

    One Russian data recovery firm liked Hitachi best, but a French data
    recovery firm said they were the worst. You may want to search the
    forums at HDDguru.com because many of the people there are in the HD
    repair and data recovery business, but all I noticed was that Samsungs
    were the easiest to reassemble, WDs the hardest (might affect the cost
    of data recovery, but I don't know). Otherwise they don't seem to
    consider any brands or current models inferior.

    I won't miss Samsung USA tech support, which seemed clueless and
    incapable of doing anything but giving out RMA numbers. They didn't
    know the difference between hard disks and optical disks ("I have
    excellent training."), nor were they aware of bugs in their EStools
    diagnostic (fixed) or the firmware of early HD204UI 2TB drives
    (sometimes caused data loss with queued commands) and newer SATA III
    drives (bug prevented recognition by some controllers).

    larry moe 'n curly, May 7, 2012
  6. Rod Speed wrote:
    > Daniel Prince <> wrote
    >
    > > Does any company currently make good
    > > quality two terabyte SATA hard drives?

    > Samsung does, but they have just had their hard
    > drive operation bought by Seagate, so it remains
    > to be seen what will happen with those drives now.
    >
    > > I have read that both Seagate and Western Digital now
    > > have severe quality problems and that Hitachi and Samsung
    > > have been bought up by Seagate and Western Digital.

    > And that's all there is.

    What happened to Fujitsu?

    zero, and remove the last word.

    Tom Del Rosso, May 12, 2012
  7. Daniel Prince wrote:
    > Does any company currently make good quality two terabyte SATA hard
    > drives? I have read that both Seagate and Western Digital now have
    > severe quality problems and that Hitachi and Samsung have been
    > bought up by Seagate and Western Digital.
    >
    > Are there any reasonably priced drives that will last several years
    > and keep my data safe?

    There has never been one that would keep it safe, as you always need backups
    no matter what you get.

    So do as others do and get 3 different brands and use 2 for backup.

    zero, and remove the last word.

    Tom Del Rosso, May 12, 2012
  8. Daniel Prince wrote:
    > Does any company currently make good quality two terabyte SATA hard
    > drives? I have read that both Seagate and Western Digital now have
    > severe quality problems and that Hitachi and Samsung have been
    > bought up by Seagate and Western Digital.

    And does it really matter if they have the same parent company? It's still
    a different production line.

    zero, and remove the last word.

    Tom Del Rosso, May 12, 2012
  9. Daniel Prince

    Rod Speed Guest

    Tom Del Rosso <> wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Daniel Prince <> wrote

    >>> Does any company currently make good
    >>> quality two terabyte SATA hard drives?

    >> Samsung does, but they have just had their hard
    >> drive operation bought by Seagate, so it remains
    >> to be seen what will happen with those drives now.

    >>> I have read that both Seagate and Western Digital now
    >>> have severe quality problems and that Hitachi and Samsung
    >>> have been bought up by Seagate and Western Digital.

    >> And that's all there is.

    > What happened to Fujitsu?

    They got out of 3.5" drives a very long time ago now.

    Rod Speed, May 12, 2012
  10. Daniel Prince

    Rod Speed Guest

    Tom Del Rosso <> wrote
    > Daniel Prince wrote

    >> Does any company currently make good quality two terabyte
    >> SATA hard drives? I have read that both Seagate and Western
    >> Digital now have severe quality problems and that Hitachi and
    >> Samsung have been bought up by Seagate and Western Digital.

    > And does it really matter if they have the same parent company?
    > It's still a different production line.

    It remains to be seen how long they continue to
    develop new products for each production line tho.

    Cant see that continuing forever, even with Seagate that does
    tend to keep the old operation going for a long time sometimes.

    Rod Speed, May 12, 2012
  11. Daniel Prince

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 12/05/2012 2:13 AM, Rod Speed wrote:
    > Tom Del Rosso <> wrote
    >> What happened to Fujitsu?

    > They got out of 3.5" drives a very long time ago now.

    I think we're left with just Western Digital and Seagate now? If this
    isn't a sign that we should be moving to SSD's very soon, I don't know
    what is.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, May 12, 2012
  12. Rod Speed wrote:
    > Grant <> wrote
    > > Samsung had a problem with their 2TB drives,

    > Like hell they did. Mine are fine and I have heaps of them too.

    Do they have suicidally short sleep time-outs like WD?

    zero, and remove the last word.

    Tom Del Rosso, May 12, 2012
  13. Daniel Prince

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Fri, 11 May 2012 22:28:54 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
    <> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >What happened to Fujitsu?

    http://www.fujitsu.com/global/services/computing/storage/hdd/index.html

    "Fujitsu Limited has transferred its hard disk drive (HDD) business to
    Toshiba Corporation on October 1st, 2009."

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, May 12, 2012
  14. Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 May 2012 22:28:54 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
    > <> put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    > > What happened to Fujitsu?

    > http://www.fujitsu.com/global/services/computing/storage/hdd/index.html
    >
    > "Fujitsu Limited has transferred its hard disk drive (HDD) business to
    > Toshiba Corporation on October 1st, 2009."

    Apparently no one bought Toshiba's product line yet. They are still
    available under the Toshiba name.

    So, 3 players remain.

    zero, and remove the last word.

    Tom Del Rosso, May 12, 2012
  15. Daniel Prince

    Rod Speed Guest

    Tom Del Rosso <> wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Grant <> wrote

    >>> Samsung had a problem with their 2TB drives,

    >> Like hell they did. Mine are fine and I have heaps of them too.

    > Do they have suicidally short sleep time-outs like WD?

    Nope, only WD has ever been that stupid.

    That and their other terminal stupiditys and the very
    high failure rate a mate of mine saw with WDs is the
    reason that I now avoid them. I did use them at one
    time, but that was back in the x0GB era.

    Rod Speed, May 12, 2012
  16. Daniel Prince

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 12/05/2012 1:22 PM, Ant wrote:
    > On 5/12/2012 10:19 AM PT, Yousuf Khan typed:
    >
    >> On 12/05/2012 2:13 AM, Rod Speed wrote:
    >>> Tom Del Rosso <> wrote
    >>>
    >>> They got out of 3.5" drives a very long time ago now.

    >> I think we're left with just Western Digital and Seagate now? If this
    >> isn't a sign that we should be moving to SSD's very soon, I don't know
    >> what is.

    > But SSD sizes are still problematic. We want HUGE sizes! Also, longevity
    > with data with the limited writes.

    Yeah, but those prices are coming down much faster than they are with
    hard disks, it shouldn't be more than 5 years before these two are close
    to price parity in terms of capacity. The SSD is already well beyond
    price parity in terms of performance.

    There is a distinct air of a buggy-whip industry floating around the
    hard disk industry.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, May 13, 2012
  17. Yousuf Khan wrote:

    > Yeah, but those prices are coming down much faster than they are with
    > hard disks, it shouldn't be more than 5 years before these two are
    > close to price parity in terms of capacity. The SSD is already well
    > beyond price parity in terms of performance.
    >
    > There is a distinct air of a buggy-whip industry floating around the
    > hard disk industry.

    Aside from the number of writes, what about long term stability for files
    written to SSD 5 or 10 years ago?

    zero, and remove the last word.

    Tom Del Rosso, May 13, 2012
  18. On 05/12/12 06:59 pm, Rod Speed wrote:

    >>> Like hell they did. Mine are fine and I have heaps of them too.

    >> Do they have suicidally short sleep time-outs like WD?

    > Nope, only WD has ever been that stupid.
    > That and their other terminal stupiditys and the very
    > high failure rate a mate of mine saw with WDs is the
    > reason that I now avoid them. I did use them at one
    > time, but that was back in the x0GB era.

    Except for one Seagate IDE drive that died after the 5-year warranty
    period had expired and after having sat unused for many months, all my
    dead hard drives are Western Digital.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, May 13, 2012
  19. Daniel Prince

    Rod Speed Guest

    Yousuf Khan <> wrote
    > Ant wrote
    >> Yousuf Khan wrote
    >>> Rod Speed wrote

    >>> I think we're left with just Western Digital and Seagate now? If this
    >>> isn't a sign that we should be moving to SSD's very soon, I don't know
    >>> what is.

    >> But SSD sizes are still problematic. We want HUGE sizes! Also, longevity
    >> with data with the limited writes.

    > Yeah, but those prices are coming down much faster than they are with hard
    > disks,

    Only because they are much newer products, much less mature pricing wise.

    > it shouldn't be more than 5 years before these two are close to price
    > parity in terms of capacity.

    Don’t believe it with say the 5TB or 10TB drives which
    should be the best $/TB with hard drives by then.

    > The SSD is already well beyond price parity in terms of performance.

    Not when you just want a drive for your PVR where the performance
    of even the green hard drives is all you need performance wise.

    > There is a distinct air of a buggy-whip industry floating around the hard
    > disk industry.

    Fantasy with multiple TB hard drives.

    Rod Speed, May 14, 2012
  20. Daniel Prince

    Rod Speed Guest

    Percival P. Cassidy <> wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >>> Do they have suicidally short sleep time-outs like WD?

    >> Nope, only WD has ever been that stupid.

    >> That and their other terminal stupiditys and the very
    >> high failure rate a mate of mine saw with WDs is the
    >> reason that I now avoid them. I did use them at one
    >> time, but that was back in the x0GB era.

    > Except for one Seagate IDE drive that died after the 5-year warranty
    > period had expired and after having sat unused for many months, all my
    > dead hard drives are Western Digital.

    Yeah, mate of mine bought 20 or so and the ALL failed, some quicker than
    others.

    And that was in the TB era too.

    Rod Speed, May 14, 2012