Getting rid of gradients in Windows XP theme

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by Mike Starr, Aug 1, 2008.

  1. Mike Starr

    Mike Starr Guest

    I'm a technical writer and do screen captures many times each day for
    documentation.

    I want to customize the appearance to get rid of the gradients so that when
    I do screen captures the title bar and other screen elements are all solid
    colors. They print out much nicer that way. I know I can do so by selecting
    the Classic theme and then customizing it but apparently there's no way to do
    so with the Windows XP theme. I've been resisting the Windows XP theme
    because of this but it's time to adopt it to avoid confusing folks or having
    people crab about the "old" look of my documents.

    Any tools for creating a custom Windows XP theme that allows me to get rid
    of the gradients?

    Thanks

    Mike

    Mike Starr, Aug 1, 2008

  2. Mike Starr

    Leonard Grey Guest

    I use the Windows XP theme and I must confess that I do not see any
    gradients. What gradients are you referring to specifically?
    ---
    Leonard Grey
    Errare humanum est
    R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008 (PC Magazine)

    Leonard Grey, Aug 1, 2008

  3. Mike Starr

    Mike Starr Guest

    The title bar is multiple shades of blue; the maximize, minimize, and restore
    buttons are multiple shades of blue, the close button is multiple shades of
    red.

    Mike

    Mike Starr, Aug 1, 2008
  4. Mike Starr

    Leonard Grey Guest

    I beg your pardon, but I see none of that. Like I said, I use the
    Windows XP theme (at work and at home). My title bars are solid blue (or
    silver or olive, depending on my mood), and the max/min/close buttons
    are also solid. No gradients.

    It occurs to me that you may be referring to the way graphic images are
    made to look more 'natural' by trying to mimic the way light falls on an
    object. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but if you remember how
    'flat' kid's cartoons looked 30 years ago compared to how they look now,
    you know what I mean.

    To get rid of the lighting effect you have to reduce your color depth.
    Changing to 16-bit color ought to do it, but you will also lose
    considerable image detail. Failing that, you'll need image editing software.
    ---

    Leonard Grey, Aug 1, 2008
  5. Mike Starr

    Mike Starr Guest

    That "lighting effect" is present on the title bar of windows. I'll be glad
    to send you screen captures to show you what I mean. Feel free to send me
    your email address offline and I'll send you some.

    Mike

    Mike Starr, Aug 1, 2008
  6. Mike Starr

    Leonard Grey Guest

    You should not post your valid e-mail address unless you like receiving
    spam.

    It appears I have accurately described what you refer to as a gradient.
    That being the case, you have my advice on the matter.
    ---

    Leonard Grey, Aug 1, 2008
  7. Mike Starr

    Mike Starr Guest

    I did so with the understanding that there's a spam potential; been using
    Usenet for years now. However, since you seemed to be confused that was the
    quickest way for me to offer to clarify what I meant. Sure I could have
    munged my email address but I no longer feel the need to do so.

    Your advice didn't answer my question... I already know how to use Paint
    Shop Pro to edit my screen captures. However, if I use the Windows Classic
    style, I can save those steps because I can configure it to completely
    eliminate the gradients, thus saving me an enormous amount of time and
    effort. What I want to do is adopt the Windows XP style and also eliminate
    the gradients.

    Thanks anyway,

    Mike

    Mike Starr, Aug 1, 2008
  8. Mike Starr

    LVTravel Guest

    It will take some work but it can be done. Here's one way:

    Right click a blank area on your screen. Left click Properties then left
    click Appearance tab. I find it easier to do what you want with Windows
    Classic style so click the Windows and buttons dropdown and click Windows
    Classic style. Then make sure the Color scheme is set to Windows Standard.
    Once that is done click the Advanced tab. When the next window opens click
    the Item: dropdown. For each item that shows two colors in the Color 1: and
    Color 2: box make the Color 2 box the same color as color 1 box. There are
    only two items there which are Inactive and Active title bar to change.
    That will take out all of the gradient shading you are talking about.

    Hope this helps, let us know.

    LVTravel, Aug 1, 2008
  9. Mike Starr

    Mike Starr Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion, LVTravel, but from my original post:

    Mike Starr, Aug 1, 2008
  10. Mike Starr

    Big_Al Guest

    Leonard Grey wrote:
    > I beg your pardon, but I see none of that. Like I said, I use the
    > Windows XP theme (at work and at home). My title bars are solid blue (or
    > silver or olive, depending on my mood), and the max/min/close buttons
    > are also solid. No gradients.
    >
    > It occurs to me that you may be referring to the way graphic images are
    > made to look more 'natural' by trying to mimic the way light falls on an
    > object. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but if you remember how
    > 'flat' kid's cartoons looked 30 years ago compared to how they look now,
    > you know what I mean.
    >
    > To get rid of the lighting effect you have to reduce your color depth.
    > Changing to 16-bit color ought to do it, but you will also lose
    > considerable image detail. Failing that, you'll need image editing
    > software.
    > ---
    > Leonard Grey
    > Errare humanum est
    > R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008 (PC Magazine)
    >
    > Mike Starr wrote:
    >> The title bar is multiple shades of blue; the maximize, minimize, and
    >> restore buttons are multiple shades of blue, the close button is
    >> multiple shades of red.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>
    >> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I use the Windows XP theme and I must confess that I do not see any
    >>> gradients. What gradients are you referring to specifically?
    >>> ---
    >>> Leonard Grey
    >>> Errare humanum est
    >>> R.I.P Usenet: 1980-2008 (PC Magazine)
    >>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2326848,00.asp

    In your desktop properties, what color level do you have set for your video?

    If you have it turned down to 16 colors or such it might be that simple.
    Not 16 bit, but 16 colors or 256 colors maybe. If so, then you don't
    have a rich enough color scale for the video card to vary the colors
    from light blue to dark blue through the 1000's of colors to get from
    one end to the other thus you get that blocky gradients.

    Big_Al, Aug 2, 2008
  11. Mike Starr

    Twayne Guest

    I'd say this is a troll folks, and that it's time to cut it loose. It
    hasn't tried any of the best informaiton passed to it nor followed links
    or even acknowledged them that could have been very helpful. Add to
    that the now apparently intentional vaguery of its responses and the
    conclusion begs to be that of a troll.

    My opinion is to: Quit feeding it and let it starve here or go elsewhere
    for its belly fills.

    Twayne, Aug 3, 2008
  12. Mike Starr

    Mike Starr Guest

    Twayne, I've tried the things that were suggested... several years ago and
    the day I posted my inquiry. What vaguery are you referring to? So far nobody
    has offered any suggestions that will result in the outcome I desire... the
    ability to use the Windows XP theme without it including any gradients in the
    title bar or the title bar buttons (minimize, maximize, restore or close).
    All I want to do is make the entire title bar and the background color of the
    maximize, minimize and restore buttons solid blue (000,000,255), and the
    background color of the close button solid red (255,000,000). I already know
    how to do that with the Classic theme... I've been doing it for many years
    now. However, I find myself in the position of having to do screen captures
    on other people's computers and they all have the default Windows XP theme. I
    can load my Classic theme onto their computer but would prefer to figure out
    how to alter the Windows XP theme to achieve my desired results. If you'd go
    back and read my original question, you'd see that there's nothing trollish
    about my response. Since I publicly posted my email address, feel free to
    ping me directly if you have any further concerns. That, btw, is decidedly
    un-trollish.

    Mike Starr, Aug 4, 2008
  13. Mike Starr

    Twayne Guest

    > Twayne, I've tried the things that were suggested... several years
    > ago and the day I posted my inquiry. What vaguery are you referring
    > to? So far nobody has offered any suggestions that will result in the
    > outcome I desire... the ability to use the Windows XP theme without
    > it including any gradients in the title bar or the title bar buttons
    > (minimize, maximize, restore or close). All I want to do is make the
    > entire title bar and the background color of the maximize, minimize
    > and restore buttons solid blue (000,000,255), and the background
    > color of the close button solid red (255,000,000). I already know how
    > to do that with the Classic theme... I've been doing it for many
    > years now. However, I find myself in the position of having to do
    > screen captures on other people's computers and they all have the
    > default Windows XP theme. I can load my Classic theme onto their
    > computer but would prefer to figure out how to alter the Windows XP
    > theme to achieve my desired results. If you'd go back and read my
    > original question, you'd see that there's nothing trollish about my
    > response. Since I publicly posted my email address, feel free to ping
    > me directly if you have any further concerns. That, btw, is decidedly
    > un-trollish.

    Well, DID you read/try any of those links and the suggestons? What were
    the results? You've completely ignored several good suggestions and
    links by not mentioning them at all. If you aren't trolling, you are
    your own worst enemy then in trying to help yourself.

    As for the address you use, that could belong to anyone or be made up.
    It's not relevant in today's spam infested world or this topic.

    Twayne, Aug 4, 2008
  14. Mike Starr

    Mike Starr Guest

    As I said in my reply to your post accusing me of being a troll:

    "Twayne" wrote:

    > > Twayne, I've tried the things that were suggested... several years
    > > ago and the day I posted my inquiry.

    What part of what I've written wasn't clear? I already know how to use the
    Windows Classic style and eliminate the gradients by customizing that style.
    However, as I said in my original message, I want to modify the Windows XP
    style so that it does not use gradients. Here are the steps to take to fully
    understand my question:

    1. Right-click the desktop. Windows shows a Display Properties dialog box.

    2. Choose the Appearance tab and click the Advanced button. Windows shows an
    Advanced Appearance dialog box.

    3. Set Color 1 and Color 2 for the Active Title Bar to the same color (I
    prefer solid blue (000,000,255).

    4. Click the OK button to accept your changes and return to the Display
    Properties dialog box.

    5. Click Apply to apply the changes to your system. Click the OK button to
    dismiss the Display Properties dialog box.

    Even though you've gone through this procedure, the way window and dialog
    title bars is displayed still uses the gradients.

    So what's your suggestion or do you just want to have a pissing contest? I'm
    trying to get work done and find a way to do so that allows me to do it in a
    manner that works best for my documentation process. So far nobody has come
    up with a single suggestion that gets me anywhere close to where I want to be.

    Mike

    Mike Starr, Aug 4, 2008
  15. Mike Starr

    Twayne Guest

    > As I said in my reply to your post accusing me of being a troll:
    >
    > "Twayne" wrote:
    >
    >>> Twayne, I've tried the things that were suggested... several years
    >>> ago and the day I posted my inquiry.

    > What part of what I've written wasn't clear? I already know how to
    > use the Windows Classic style and eliminate the gradients by
    > customizing that style. However, as I said in my original message, I
    > want to modify the Windows XP style so that it does not use
    > gradients. Here are the steps to take to fully understand my question:
    >
    > 1. Right-click the desktop. Windows shows a Display Properties dialog
    > box.
    >
    > 2. Choose the Appearance tab and click the Advanced button. Windows
    > shows an Advanced Appearance dialog box.
    >
    > 3. Set Color 1 and Color 2 for the Active Title Bar to the same color
    > (I prefer solid blue (000,000,255).
    >
    > 4. Click the OK button to accept your changes and return to the
    > Display Properties dialog box.
    >
    > 5. Click Apply to apply the changes to your system. Click the OK
    > button to dismiss the Display Properties dialog box.
    >
    > Even though you've gone through this procedure, the way window and
    > dialog title bars is displayed still uses the gradients.
    >
    > So what's your suggestion or do you just want to have a pissing
    > contest? I'm trying to get work done and find a way to do so that
    > allows me to do it in a manner that works best for my documentation
    > process. So far nobody has come up with a single suggestion that gets
    > me anywhere close to where I want to be.
    >
    > Mike
    >>
    >> Well, DID you read/try any of those links and the suggestons? What
    >> were the results? You've completely ignored several good
    >> suggestions and links by not mentioning them at all. If you aren't
    >> trolling, you are your own worst enemy then in trying to help
    >> yourself.
    >>
    >> As for the address you use, that could belong to anyone or be made
    >> up. It's not relevant in today's spam infested world or this topic.

    Wow, you're thick. I've no more to add to your trollfest or you.

    Bye

    Twayne, Aug 5, 2008
  16. Mike Starr

    ManyBeers Guest

    "Mike Starr" wrote:

    > I'm a technical writer and do screen captures many times each day for
    > documentation.
    >
    > I want to customize the appearance to get rid of the gradients so that when
    > I do screen captures the title bar and other screen elements are all solid
    > colors. They print out much nicer that way. I know I can do so by selecting
    > the Classic theme and then customizing it but apparently there's no way to do
    > so with the Windows XP theme. I've been resisting the Windows XP theme
    > because of this but it's time to adopt it to avoid confusing folks or having
    > people crab about the "old" look of my documents.
    >
    > Any tools for creating a custom Windows XP theme that allows me to get rid
    > of the gradients?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    Try Neowin Forums...customizing XP. http://www.neowin.net/ There are a lot
    of gui experts there. They might be able to help.

    I'm no expert but the Classic style and WindowsXP themes(Luna, etc.) use
    different methods to render the GUI. I know Windows themes are based on
    bitmaps. That might be the problem.

    ManyBeers, Aug 25, 2008