Getting a "scam" warning

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I'm uncertain if this is worth mentioning or not, however, it has only been happening since the new forum upgrade. Also it is only happening to mail alerts from PCR, it's no biggie, just letting you know in case it's of any significance. :)

Mail client: Thunderbird.

Messages from PCR now have a security warning emblazoned across the top (thumbnail below). I have not altered any settings, and no other incoming mail is affected.

When I click Options, I can either choose to "Ignore warning for this message" or "edit scam detection options."

Under the security tab, I am given the option to either check, or uncheck the box against "Tell me if the message I'm reading is a suspected email scam."

Thanks for looking :)
Scam warning.JPG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Eep, thanks for the heads up TC! Is this warning part of the details Thunderbird client or does it tie in with your AV software?

I'll get in contact with Thunderbird if it's direct from them and find out why the e-mails are being flagged.

I did change how the e-mails are sent out about a week ago, ironically to make sure that more get through. Did it happen the moment the upgrade happened, or in the past week?

edit: Ah, it looks like it's just from Thunderbird and lots of other sites seem to have the same problem. I'll see if there's anything I can do, but rest assured it's not a scam e-mail :D.

Last edited:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I did change how the e-mails are sent out about a week ago, ironically to make sure that more get through. Did it happen the moment the upgrade happened, or in the past week?

edit: Ah, it looks like it's just from Thunderbird and lots of other sites seem to have the same problem. I'll see if there's anything I can do, but rest assured it's not a scam e-mail :D.
I think you have cracked it Ian... yes, I just checked back through old mails, and this began roughly a week ago... prior to that, after the update, all was well.

My AV doesn't throw up anything (BitDefender) btw.

It's ok, I didn't think it was a scam for one minute, lol. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's good to know! :lol:

I found out why it's happening thanks to your help and I may be able to fix it, not entirely sure yet! The mail sending app we're using re-writes the URLs, which makes the mail client think this could be a phising e-mail that tries to disguise URLs. I'll see if I can stop the URLs from being rewritten.

Ask a Question