get n40bers 5nstead 6f 3etters!

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Guest, Dec 1, 2003.

    H6w can 5 get the c60-4ter t6 r5ght 3etters aga5n???
    S60eth5ng ha--ened when the ch53dren -3ayed!!!

    Guest, Dec 1, 2003

    Yves Leclerc Guest

    Please cut out the SMS speak and type your message in standard English.

    Yves Leclerc, Dec 1, 2003
  3. <> wrote in message
    > H6w can 5 get the c60-4ter t6 r5ght 3etters aga5n???
    > S60eth5ng ha--ened when the ch53dren -3ayed!!!

    Your question, though somewhat cryptic, might have a solution..

    From the way that your keys have been transposed (o = 6, m = 0, etc) I will
    guess that you are using a laptop (or a small laptop-style keyboard) and
    you've turned NUM LOCK on. Laptops lack the space for a separate numeric
    keypad, so they "double up" the numpad keys with the standard ones.

    Simply turn Numlock off and your keyboard should return to normal.

    Hope this helps..

    David Hollway [MVP], Dec 1, 2003

    Tony Talmage Guest

    Here's what I understood from that message: "How can I get the computer to
    right letters again??? Something happened when the children played!!!"

    It sounds like they picked up some malware; I suggest running a virus scan
    and Spybot Search and Destroy.

    --
    Tony Talmage
    Web Developer

    Tony Talmage, Dec 1, 2003
  5. Even simpler than that, I suspect - see my response elsewhere in the thread!

    David Hollway [MVP], Dec 1, 2003
  6. Greetings --

    Turn off your NumLock.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Dec 1, 2003
  7. "David Hollway [MVP]" <> wrote in
    message news:3fcb8a8d$0$13351$...
    > <> wrote in message
    > > H6w can 5 get the c60-4ter t6 r5ght 3etters aga5n???
    > > S60eth5ng ha--ened when the ch53dren -3ayed!!!

    > Your question, though somewhat cryptic, might have a solution..
    >
    > From the way that your keys have been transposed (o = 6, m = 0, etc) I

    will
    > guess that you are using a laptop (or a small laptop-style keyboard) and
    > you've turned NUM LOCK on. Laptops lack the space for a separate numeric
    > keypad, so they "double up" the numpad keys with the standard ones.
    >
    > Simply turn Numlock off and your keyboard should return to normal.

    That's odd, on my notebook I have to use the Fn key + those keys to type
    numbers with Num Lock on.

    Shiranui Gen-An, Dec 2, 2003
  8. "Shiranui Gen-An" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > "David Hollway [MVP]" <> wrote in
    > message news:3fcb8a8d$0$13351$...
    > > Simply turn Numlock off and your keyboard should return to normal.

    > That's odd, on my notebook I have to use the Fn key + those keys to type
    > numbers with Num Lock on.

    <shrug>
    I suppose it depends on the laptop.. I have an IBM Thinkpad T40 here, and
    (like most other Thinkpads, IIRC) simply turning Numlock on is enough to
    garb3e any text y64 ty*e...!

    David Hollway [MVP], Dec 2, 2003

    Chris Guest

    Other possibilities if not a laptop,
    restart computer
    if it still happens try someone elses keyboard.

    Chris, Dec 6, 2003

    PhilipTheApple

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    "ignorant bastard, he obviously was asking for help"

    PhilipTheApple, Oct 27, 2012

    PhilipTheApple

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thankyou, you really helped me out. I was really stuck on this issue and you resolved it within seconds

    PhilipTheApple, Oct 27, 2012