    Any ideas anyone?

    thanks
    alex

    Alex Hunsley, Nov 21, 2005

  2. Alex Hunsley

    Alias Guest

    Alex Hunsley wrote:

    > I'm trying to download the microsoft SyncToy. The MS site insists on me
    > validating my (legal) copy of windows, but when I run the genuine
    > advantage program you get from their site I get the following dialog:
    >
    > "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no
    > longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
    > your system clock is accurate"
    >
    > Given that I'm running the current version, straight from the microsoft
    > site, I somehow doubt I have an old version. And my system clock is A-ok.
    > Any ideas anyone?
    >
    > thanks
    > alex

    Try going to Windows Update and downloading WGA there.

    Alias

    Alias, Nov 21, 2005

  3. Alex Hunsley

    Will Denny Guest

    Hi Alex

    I can't see why you are getting that error message.

    Go into the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows
    Genuine Advantage\data folder, right click on the 'data.dat' file select
    Properties and then the Security tab. Is your account listed under 'Group
    or user names'? If so have you got the appropriate 'Permissions for
    Administrators?

    Also, if you have downloaded the GenuineCheck.exe file, what version is it?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS MVP Windows Shell/User

    Will Denny, Nov 21, 2005
  4. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Alias wrote:
    > Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to download the microsoft SyncToy. The MS site insists on
    >> me validating my (legal) copy of windows, but when I run the genuine
    >> advantage program you get from their site I get the following dialog:
    >>
    >> "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no
    >> longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
    >> your system clock is accurate"
    >>
    >> Given that I'm running the current version, straight from the
    >> microsoft site, I somehow doubt I have an old version. And my system
    >> clock is A-ok.
    >> Any ideas anyone?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> alex
    >>

    > Try going to Windows Update and downloading WGA there.
    >
    > Alias

    Thanks, the version there seems to be an activeX control rather than a
    download, and it worked...

    cheers
    alex

    Alex Hunsley, Nov 21, 2005
  5. Alex Hunsley

    Alias Guest

    Alex Hunsley wrote:

    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to download the microsoft SyncToy. The MS site insists on
    >>> me validating my (legal) copy of windows, but when I run the genuine
    >>> advantage program you get from their site I get the following dialog:
    >>>
    >>> "This version of the Windows Genuine Advantage validation tool is no
    >>> longer supported. Please download the newest version and ensure that
    >>> your system clock is accurate"
    >>>
    >>> Given that I'm running the current version, straight from the
    >>> microsoft site, I somehow doubt I have an old version. And my system
    >>> clock is A-ok.
    >>> Any ideas anyone?
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>> alex
    >>>

    >> Try going to Windows Update and downloading WGA there.
    >>
    >> Alias

    > Thanks, the version there seems to be an activeX control rather than a
    > download, and it worked...
    >
    > cheers
    > alex

    You're welcome. Glad I could be of some help.

    Alias

    Alias, Nov 21, 2005
  6. Alex Hunsley

    The Outsider Guest

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:42:20 -0000, "Will Denny" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Alex
    >
    >I can't see why you are getting that error message.
    >
    >Go into the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows
    >Genuine Advantage\data folder, right click on the 'data.dat' file select
    >Properties and then the Security tab. Is your account listed under 'Group
    >or user names'? If so have you got the appropriate 'Permissions for
    >Administrators?
    >
    >Also, if you have downloaded the GenuineCheck.exe file, what version is it?

    Because XP is effed up with it's annoying authentication BS, that's
    why. I uninstalled my ATI drivers using ATI's CAT uninstaller the
    orther day, which I have done many times, and after the reboot XP
    informs me that there have been significant hardware changes and I had
    three days to activate. That's twice now that XP has done that to me
    for no good reason. The last time was when all I did was install
    Winamp. As I said, XP is effed up and I hope Vista isn't more of the
    same silliness.

    The Outsider, Nov 21, 2005
  7. Alex Hunsley

    Will Denny Guest

    "The Outsider" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:42:20 -0000, "Will Denny" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Alex
    >>
    >>I can't see why you are getting that error message.
    >>
    >>Go into the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows
    >>Genuine Advantage\data folder, right click on the 'data.dat' file select
    >>Properties and then the Security tab. Is your account listed under 'Group
    >>or user names'? If so have you got the appropriate 'Permissions for
    >>Administrators?
    >>
    >>Also, if you have downloaded the GenuineCheck.exe file, what version is
    >>it?

    > Because XP is effed up with it's annoying authentication BS, that's
    > why. I uninstalled my ATI drivers using ATI's CAT uninstaller the
    > orther day, which I have done many times, and after the reboot XP
    > informs me that there have been significant hardware changes and I had
    > three days to activate. That's twice now that XP has done that to me
    > for no good reason. The last time was when all I did was install
    > Winamp. As I said, XP is effed up and I hope Vista isn't more of the
    > same silliness.

    Hi

    A re-activation shouldn't occur when drivers are uninstalled - and I can't
    understand why the 'hardware has been significantly changed' message showed
    up. Winamp is only software, so shouldn't have any effect on hardware. Is
    there anything in the Event Viewer that may explain the problem?

    Will Denny, Nov 21, 2005
  8. Alex Hunsley

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Will Denny wrote:
    > Hi Alex
    >
    > I can't see why you are getting that error message.
    >
    > Go into the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows
    > Genuine Advantage\data folder, right click on the 'data.dat' file select
    > Properties and then the Security tab. Is your account listed under 'Group
    > or user names'?

    Yup. I am logged on as 'alex' into our domain, and in the list you
    mention it says "alex@domainname", where domainname = our domain name.

    > If so have you got the appropriate 'Permissions for
    > Administrators?

    Not sure exactly what you mean by "permissions for administrators", but
    when I click alex@domainname, in the permissions box below it shows full
    permissions as ticked (enabled).

    > Also, if you have downloaded the GenuineCheck.exe file, what version is it?

    The exe reports version 1.4.389.0 in the properties tab. This is the one
    I downloaded just today.

    thanks
    alex

    Alex Hunsley, Nov 21, 2005
  9. Alex Hunsley

    Jon Guest

    The problem also strangely disappears if you write your own version of
    LegitCheckControl.dll :)

    Jon

    Jon, Nov 21, 2005