    (Future Ver. Windows) ?

    Thanks,
    Amit Chandel

    Amit Chandel, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Amit Chandel

    Pete Guest

    Hi,

    Amit Chandel wrote:
    > Is it safe to say that winforms coupled with soap/xml will be the
    > future trend of the internet browsing experience down the line?

    This seems very unlikely. Why lose custom from those using non-windows
    operating systems, or those that like their browsers (some people still use
    text browsers)?

    > In essence, corp web sites shift from HTML based browsers --> Winform
    > EXE style browsing experience? If this is the case, how far down the
    > line could this become a reality? Will the .NET Framework ship with
    > longhorn (Future Ver. Windows) ?

    It's highly unlikely.. and if it does happen I just won't be using those
    companies web sites/programs/whatever.

    -- Pete

    Pete, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Amit Chandel

    Amit Chandel Guest

    Pete,

    It could be cross platform, much like java apps are today. You simply
    download the runtime. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if we
    had a KIOSK style EXE, it would be so much more powerful and faster than
    todays internet. Assemblies would be downloaded to the client (Windows,
    Linux, CellPhone, PocketPC, Car). Instead of having a GET POST HTTP, you
    would have a direct connection to the central server. Most of the
    processing and rendering could be distributed to the client.

    You could harness in essence everything you would from distributing an EXE.
    Code would be secure, data and content would also be secure. Layout, Table
    Align would not be an issue. It is far less difficult to hack into an EXE,
    than it is to simply jumble around with the query string.

    Web sites wouldn't even have to graphical, or text based, they would become
    services. Going to checkmycar.com from your car console would again
    download assemblies, and run a diagnotic for a fee. I'm sure this is quite
    far down the line, but it seems, having an EXE run on cross platform
    devices would be the next logical step in harnessing the power of the net.

    Amit Chandel, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Amit Chandel

    Pete Guest

    Hi,

    > It could be cross platform, much like java apps are today. You simply
    > download the runtime. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that
    > if we had a KIOSK style EXE, it would be so much more powerful and
    > faster than todays internet. Assemblies would be downloaded to the
    > client (Windows, Linux, CellPhone, PocketPC, Car). Instead of having
    > a GET POST HTTP, you would have a direct connection to the central
    > server. Most of the processing and rendering could be distributed to
    > the client.

    Download the runtime? There is no supported runtime for other operating
    systems -- only mono and whatever the other one is called. They don't
    support winforms and never will completely (unless winforms is reorganised
    so we don't need p/invoke quite so often).

    Also.. you say it would be faster, but your original post implied we would
    be downloading an app for each companies "website". This would take quite a
    bit longer than just loading html text into a browser (not to mention the
    time taken for a winforms app to start). Unless you meant downloading one
    app for all companies.. in which case I fail to see the difference from a
    browser.

    > Web sites wouldn't even have to graphical, or text based, they would
    > become services. Going to checkmycar.com from your car console would
    > again download assemblies, and run a diagnotic for a fee. I'm sure
    > this is quite far down the line, but it seems, having an EXE run on
    > cross platform devices would be the next logical step in harnessing
    > the power of the net.

    Checkmycar sounds like something I'd rather own and be able to run whenever
    I'd like.. i.e. a normal app. I see no need for this to be distributed over
    the web. All you would be doing is increasing my costs by forcing me to pay
    each time I need something (lets not give microsoft too many ideas, okay?).

    -- Pete

    Pete, Sep 24, 2003