Function address 0x78010497 caused a protection fault

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Printing' started by LarryWest, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. LarryWest

    LarryWest Guest

    Dear all,

    After performing Windows Update from Microsoft website, which included new
    HP printer drivers, we can no longer print to our network printer. File ->
    print option from InternetExplore and other applications will halt the
    workstation and a message popup:

    "Function address 0x78010497 caused a protection fault. (Exception code
    0x0000005) Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed."

    We have a network with: Windows 2000 server, Window 2000 workstations, HP
    LaserJet 4200nt (PCL 6 & PCL 5e), HP LaserJet 4100 PCL 5e, and HP LaserJet
    2300 Serries PCL 6.

    All network stations were affected by this update. However, printing from
    Microsoft Work and Excel does not have any problem.

    Please advice me a way to overcome this problem. I am pretty fresh IT
    guy.

    Thanks

    Larry
    lamnasa @ yahoo . com

    LarryWest, Jan 22, 2005

  2. I spoke with an HP print driver developer and the issue with this is the
    new driver expects a different data
    structure than the old driver. The data structure is stored in the registry
    and will not be deleted until all the printers that use the driver no longer
    use it and the old driver is deleted from the server. Then install the new
    driver. I am sure HP will fix this but I did not get any time frame on
    this.

    If you have many printers on the server that use this driver, I like to
    change all the drivers to an inbox that is not even closely related so you
    remember the name (make sure no one is printing to the devices so shoot for
    off peak time). You can only delete the driver when it is no longer in use.
    I have had instances when I have to stop the spooler and kill the
    explorer.exe process in order to unload the driver modules from memory. Add
    the new driver and change the printers back to the updated module.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris\(MSFT\), Jan 26, 2005

  3. LarryWest

    Guest Guest

    Try reinstalling the printer drivers on the server.

    You may need to delete the printer from the local
    machines, stop and start the workstation print spooler
    service, then delete the driver from the workstation
    (file > server properties from the printers window).

    Mark

    Guest, Jan 27, 2005
  4. LarryWest

    itchiban

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had the same problem after the Microsoft update.

    I followed the instructions above but still recieved the error.
    So i changed the printer driver on the HP 2300 to HP 4000 instead.

    Now it runs smoothly.

    Best regards !

    // P

    itchiban, Jun 21, 2005
  5. LarryWest

    PLUMRHONDA

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    HP Printer Problems 2300n

    How did you change your printer drivers to the 4000 sounds like what I need to do to fix my problem as well. Thanks a Bunch! PlumRhonda

    PLUMRHONDA, Jun 26, 2007
  6. LarryWest

    itchiban

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Rightclick on the printer, choose Properties, choose Advanced
    There you have a box: Driver
    Change the driver to the 4000 driver

    //P

    itchiban, Jun 29, 2007
  7. LarryWest

    PLUMRHONDA

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Still Won't Print From Computer 2300N

    Hello again, I Tried that and it did not work. I was told the card was bad as it did not print a second page for the configuration. So I Just got card and installed it today. The good news is it now prints the second page, but still will not print from the computer. I did note it states unable to sense net number also Status: Not configured. Any suggestions or questions. Thanks for your help. Rhonda

    PLUMRHONDA, Jul 3, 2007
  8. LarryWest

    itchiban

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    "Unable to sense net number" has to do with Novell Netware.

    Are you running Netware on the network ?

    Are you running IPX on the network ?

    If you're not, you should disable the IPX and Netware settings and only use TCP/IP.

    Are you still getting the protection fault ?

    itchiban, Jul 3, 2007