Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

Fireman on grass roof looking down at chimney.^

attachment.php

attachment.php

Fireman on grass roof looking down at chimney.^

attachment.php

Grass roofed chalet to left of white house. You can just see the start of the mound covering the chalet.

So what was that blue flashing light ? Thought it might be the police after one of the nerdoowells.
Nope seems like the chalet with the grass roof had a fire in the roof space.
Poor pictures I'm afraid as it seems me camera does not like temperatures around -8 and kept giving me a E18 error. So i had to keep dahing back to me cabin to warm the poor thing up. Drat and darn missed a couple of really good shots. An the ones I got were not that exciting.
Oh well never mind it brightened up a dull evening. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yes. Seems that one of the chimney stays had been screwed to some very old wood in the void between the two roofs. An as the woodburner had been kept roaring away for days due to the weather the stay heated up and caused the beam to smoulder causing lots of smoke. So apart from a cabin full of smoke and ash from dousing the fire no harm done.
Had to happen on the coldest night of the winter.

:cool:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
A chimney stack screwed to wood ?????????

Surely it was always just an accident waiting to happen. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Yes it is quite common on old beamed structures and common course of chimney fires. Glad all went well and no serious damage to the property or people..

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well the chimney was that double skinned stainless steel type so it should realy have been ok if properly mounted.
However.
The steel strap used to stand it away from the beams were fixed to the chimney with large steel self tapping bolts that penetrated both skins. They suck out into the inside of the chimney, heated up, passed the heat to the strap then into the wood and hey presto.
Pretty much on a par with everything taht gets done on the site.:rolleyes:

Ask a Question