    computer???

    Thanks
    Paul.

    Paul L, Oct 12, 2005

  2. "Paul L" <> pondered:

    > Years ago when I had my trusted 386 computer running MS DOS 6.22 My computer
    > logged into Xtree gold. It was the absolute greatest program of all. Is
    > there an equivalent freeware application that runs on a Windows Xp

    I would help if you described what it is and what it does.

    KBB

    Kansas Boiled Beef, Oct 12, 2005

  3. Paul L

    mike ring Guest

    >> Years ago when I had my trusted 386 computer running MS DOS 6.22 My
    >> computer logged into Xtree gold.

    > I would help if you described what it is and what it does.

    A cracking DOS shell, without all the graphics, to let you navigate around,
    execute progs, and manage your files.

    But I would have thought any Widows Explorer equivalent does the same job,
    unless Paul wants to work in DOS.

    Googling gives bags of info, but doesn't seem to offer much hope; it looks
    like (guess who) Symantec has been there :-(

    mike

    mike ring, Oct 12, 2005
  4. Paul L

    notlol Guest

    What about Midnight Commander, works in nearly every OS.

    EFMenzel

    notlol, Oct 12, 2005
  5. Paul L

    AAH Guest

    ZTreeWin clone XtreeGold at

    http://www.ztree.com/html/ztreewin.htm

    Sorry it is shareware.

    Hi,

    AAH, Oct 12, 2005
  6. on 12.10.2005 19:39 Kansas Boiled Beef wrote:
    > "Paul L" <> pondered:
    >

    >>Years ago when I had my trusted 386 computer running MS DOS 6.22 My computer
    >>logged into Xtree gold. It was the absolute greatest program of all. Is
    >>there an equivalent freeware application that runs on a Windows Xp

    > I would help if you described what it is and what it does.
    >
    > KBB

    http://www.jeffreycjohnson.com/
    http://www.xtreefanpage.org/
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link/

    I remember it fondly...

    --
    Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

    http://vegard2.no -
    Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
    Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
    Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
    games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
    18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
    Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

    Petersen, Vegard Krog, Oct 12, 2005
  7. Using at least one appendage, the entity known in this space-time
    continuum as "Petersen, Vegard Krog" <>
    revealed in news:434d5acf$0$49019$:

    > http://www.jeffreycjohnson.com/
    > http://www.xtreefanpage.org/
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link/
    >
    > I remember it fondly...

    Oh yes. XTreePro (DOS) - 178K, and room for a now unbelievable number of
    recovery progs (Including Norton's Utilities - Yes, all of them) on a
    1.44MB floppy

    Sigh

    --
    Will Cornish of Cardigan, UK - No nastier than you; No filthier than
    usual

    To EMail Remove Anti-Spam Spaces: filthy-mcnasty @
    btconnect.com

    filthy-mcnasty, Oct 12, 2005
  8. Paul L

    hummingbird Guest

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:50:07 GMT, "Paul L" <>
    mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >Hi,
    >
    >Years ago when I had my trusted 386 computer running MS DOS 6.22 My computer
    >logged into Xtree gold. It was the absolute greatest program of all. Is
    >there an equivalent freeware application that runs on a Windows Xp
    >computer???

    Ztree is 100% brilliant - I use it all day/every day.
    It's like old DOS Xtree Gold on steroids with 32bit & LFN support.
    I can't live without it.

    BUT it does cost $29. www.ztree.com

    --
    smart men solve problems, wise men avoid them.

    hummingbird, Oct 12, 2005
  9. Paul L

    Guest

    EXTREME
    http://go.to/filextreme
    The original XTREE GOLD for DOS was IMHO the best file manager ever
    written. EXTREME is a
    native Windows file manager that attempts to emulate the speed and
    elegance of XTREE with new
    features such as long file names and protected memory support.

    , Oct 12, 2005
  10. Paul L

    Mel Guest

    >On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:50:07 GMT, "Paul L" wrote:
    >
    >Hi,
    >
    >Years ago when I had my trusted 386 computer running MS DOS 6.22 My computer
    >logged into Xtree gold. It was the absolute greatest program of all. Is
    >there an equivalent freeware application that runs on a Windows Xp
    >computer???
    >
    >Thanks
    >Paul.

    PowerDesk: It's free, amazingly powerful, and it'll make you ignore
    Windows Explorer forever. This utility offers slick features including:
    dual panes that provide an easy way to copy files between folders,
    built-in Zip and UnZip, and one-step functions for copying or moving
    files. PowerDesk also emulates Norton Commander or Xtree Pro for
    Windows. (For old DOS hounds like me, this is bliss.)

    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,3491,00.asp

    Mel, Oct 13, 2005
  11. "Mel" <> wrote in message
    > >On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:50:07 GMT, "Paul L" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Years ago when I had my trusted 386 computer running MS DOS 6.22 My
    >>computer
    >>logged into Xtree gold. It was the absolute greatest program of all. Is
    >>there an equivalent freeware application that runs on a Windows Xp
    >>computer???
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Paul.
    >>

    > PowerDesk: It's free, amazingly powerful, and it'll make you ignore
    > Windows Explorer forever. This utility offers slick features including:
    > dual panes that provide an easy way to copy files between folders,
    > built-in Zip and UnZip, and one-step functions for copying or moving
    > files. PowerDesk also emulates Norton Commander or Xtree Pro for
    > Windows. (For old DOS hounds like me, this is bliss.)
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,3491,00.asp

    direct link:
    http://www.v-com.com/download/pd/pd5free.exe

    Remove Underscores, Oct 13, 2005
  12. Paul L

    hummingbird Guest

    On 12 Oct 2005 15:37:01 -0700,
    mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >EXTREME
    >http://go.to/filextreme
    >The original XTREE GOLD for DOS was IMHO the best file manager ever
    >written. EXTREME is a
    >native Windows file manager that attempts to emulate the speed and
    >elegance of XTREE with new
    >features such as long file names and protected memory support.

    Interesting. I haven't heard of this one, it looks like Ztree.
    Is it free? Is it still under active development? Since I paid for
    Ztree I'll stick with it but others may be interested in a free one.

    --
    smart men solve problems, wise men avoid them.

    hummingbird, Oct 13, 2005
  13. Paul L

    thoss Guest

    In article <>,
    writes
    >EXTREME
    >http://go.to/filextreme
    >The original XTREE GOLD for DOS was IMHO the best file manager ever
    >written. EXTREME is a
    >native Windows file manager that attempts to emulate the speed and
    >elegance of XTREE with new
    >features such as long file names and protected memory support.

    But it is very limited compared with ZTree. It's well worth paying the
    fee for that. (Hope I won't get shot for saying that in a freeware
    group.)
    --
    Thoss

    thoss, Oct 13, 2005
  14. Paul L

    Mel Guest

    http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bladestaylor/pdfind/readme.txt

    Mel, Oct 13, 2005
  15. Paul L

    usmcbrat Guest

    ZtreeWin is everything Xtree ever was, and much more! Get it and pay the
    reg fee... you'll never regret it!

    usmcbrat, Oct 14, 2005
  16. "usmcbrat" <> wrote in

    > ZtreeWin is everything Xtree ever was, and much more! Get it and pay
    > the reg fee... you'll never regret it!

    ...or take a look at "xTree for UNIX Systems" (and MS Windows):

    <http://www.unixtree.org/index.htm>

    /luigi

    --

    Luigi M Bianchi

    Luigi M Bianchi, Oct 14, 2005
  17. Paul L

    aafuss Guest

    aafuss, Oct 14, 2005
  18. Paul L

    thoss Guest

    In article <YLB3f.22396$Tn5.3839@trnddc08>, usmcbrat
    <> writes
    >ZtreeWin is everything Xtree ever was, and much more! Get it and pay the
    >reg fee... you'll never regret it!

    ZTree Win is almost everything XTree ever was. What's missing is native
    file viewers, particular for WordStar, for which I still keep XTree.
    But, other than that, ZTree is essential - get it.
    --
    Thoss

    thoss, Oct 14, 2005