Free simple database program?

Discussion in 'Freeware' started by Chaos Master, Jun 5, 2004.

  1. Chaos Master

    Chaos Master Guest

    Hello people.

    Is there any free and simple database program?

    I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic components.
    I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic stuff to do more
    complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also would be a good thing.

    I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web server, or
    even interfacing it to programming languages.

    Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which is not
    quite what I want.

    []s
    --
    © 2004 Chaos Master | "I'm going under,
    Posting from Brazil! | drowning in you

    Chaos Master, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Chaos Master

    Mark Warner Guest

    Chaos Master wrote:
    > Hello people.
    >
    > Is there any free and simple database program?
    >
    > I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic
    > components. I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic
    > stuff to do more complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also
    > would be a good thing.
    >
    > I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web
    > server, or even interfacing it to programming languages.
    >
    > Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which
    > is not quite what I want.

    No personal experience, but Little Lists has been highly recommended for
    what you're describing:

    http://www.rkwest.com/downloads.shtml

    --
    Mark Warner
    lose .inhibitions when replying

    Mark Warner, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Chaos Master

    Ben Cooper Guest

    Chaos Master <> wrote:
    > Hello people.
    >
    > Is there any free and simple database program?
    >
    > I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic
    > components. I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic
    > stuff to do more complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also
    > would be a good thing.
    >
    > I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web
    > server, or even interfacing it to programming languages.
    >
    > Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which
    > is not quite what I want.

    My, my... you're just full of contradictions aren't you?
    Good luck finding basic, complex query reports.

    Oops, almost forgot to mention... Good Luck mastering chaos.

    BTW, have you tried Open Office?
    http://www.openoffice.org/

    You probably haven't, seeing as you're a chaos master and all.

    --
    Ben Cooper

    Ben Cooper, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Chaos Master

    JunkMonkey Guest

    If you are looking for a Freeware equivalent of, say, the simple flat file
    database module of Microsoft Works, you are going to be somewhat
    disappointed. If you are looking for a freeware equivalent of MS Access,
    you are going to be REALLY disappointed.

    I hate to say this, but I don't think any of the freeware database
    applications are really ready for prime time (i.e. a business level
    application). I don't mean to imply they don't work, they do.

    In fact, they do a pretty good job of storing data reliably. But I think
    they fall down on entering and retrieving data. This boils down to having a
    good user interface. Making it EASY to create a report, do a simple query,
    etc. And most of them are so BUTT UGLY, that they don't inspire much
    confidence in me. To be fair though database programs are darned HARD to
    write and even harder to debug.

    I would not give any freeware database program that I know of to my wife.
    She has very little tolerance for dinking around with a program, and they
    all (freeware DB progs) seem to require some continuous "dinking" on the
    part of the user. For a person like her, an application needs a consistent,
    logical UI along with plenty of wizards and other sorts of hand-holding.
    This is an area where freeware falls short. So you need to consider the
    personality of the user as well.

    I have made sure that she has a current copy of MS Works. (it's sort of
    free, it comes with virtually every PC out there) and she is VERY productive
    with it, and quite proud of the work she produces with it.

    JunkMonkey, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Chaos Master

    Eric Guest

    Chaos Master wrote:
    > Hello people.
    >
    > Is there any free and simple database program?
    >
    > I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic components.
    > I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic stuff to do more
    > complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also would be a good thing.
    >
    > I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web server, or
    > even interfacing it to programming languages.
    >
    > Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which is not
    > quite what I want.
    >
    > []s

    I found a prog called dbworx, I'm not sure if it has all the
    functionality that your looking for, but I thought I would throw it out
    there for you to atleast look at. I believe that I got it from
    pricelessware.org, or you could google for it.

    If you don't have any luck in finding it, follow the instructions on the
    bottom of my message and I will see about posting it on a page for you.

    GL

    Eric

    --
    To Reply directly delete "removethis" from email address

    Eric, Jun 5, 2004
  6. Chaos Master

    MightyKitten Guest

    Chaos Master wrote:
    > Hello people.
    >
    > Is there any free and simple database program?
    >
    > I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic
    > components. I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic
    > stuff to do more complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also
    > would be a good thing.
    >
    > I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web
    > server, or even interfacing it to programming languages.
    >
    > Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which
    > is not quite what I want.
    >
    > []s

    Hmmm... since most stock applications don't require more as a single table,
    I guess a good flatfile database program will do the trick.

    If you don't realy care about a nice input screen then dbworkx
    (http://plworx-software.com/), as Eric sugests, might do the tick with ease.

    Fot that mattter, you could also take a look at commaworks at
    http:/www.jansfreeware.com/
    or take a look at Frank S' creations:
    http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/t2t/text2table.htm

    If you are more into an acces like solution (as in having input screens),
    and your can liver with German menu's and helpfiles (it is not that complex)
    I'd suggest windbf http://www.buchenwald.de/software/windbf-e.html .

    there is also an Ot solution:
    <OT>
    Alpha Five is commercialy aviable, but in order to promote their software,
    the previous version appears on misc. IT magazine CD's from time to time.
    </OT>

    Jeroen de Bruijn

    --

    http://www.it-hulp.nl/
    http://fotoalbum.it-hulp.nl

    MightyKitten, Jun 5, 2004
  7. Chaos Master

    John Corliss Guest

    Chaos Master wrote:

    > Hello people.
    >
    > Is there any free and simple database program?
    >
    > I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic components.
    > I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic stuff to do more
    > complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also would be a good thing.
    >
    > I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web server, or
    > even interfacing it to programming languages.
    >
    > Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which is not
    > quite what I want.
    >
    > []s

    You might want to look here:

    http://jansfreeware.com/

    Under "Software", click on "Database"

    --
    Regards from John Corliss
    No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware, demoware,

    John Corliss, Jun 5, 2004
  8. Chaos Master

    Bob Adkins Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 00:33:48 -0300, Chaos Master <>
    wrote:

    >Hello people.
    >
    >Is there any free and simple database program?

    No

    Bob

    Remove "kins" to reply by e-mail.

    Bob Adkins, Jun 5, 2004
  9. Chaos Master

    wrote:

    >Hello people.

    The coolest little database program you can buy for really cheap is Lotus
    Approach. It's a real sweetheart of a program. You can occasionally find it
    practically free

    Yea, yea, I know it's O/T, but there's no Freeware database program. :)

    Bob Adkins, Jun 5, 2004
  10. Chaos Master

    Ninou Guest

    Le Sat, 5 Jun 2004 00:33:48 -0300, Chaos Master <> a
    écrit:

    >Hello people.
    >
    >Is there any free and simple database program?
    >
    >I want something that I can use to organize my "stock" of electronic components.
    >I could do this with Excel as well but I want some basic stuff to do more
    >complex queries than Excel allows me. Reports also would be a good thing.
    >
    >I don't have the need for more complex stuff like using it in a Web server, or
    >even interfacing it to programming languages.
    >
    >Google for "free database program" gives me mainly MySQL stuff which is not
    >quite what I want.
    >
    >[]s

    SmartDB V2.3
    http://alainlecomte.free.fr/

    IBeasy+ 1.1.1
    http://nte-socio.univ-lyon2.fr/Marc_Grange/TeleCharger_en.htm

    --
    Ninou
    Gratilog, le catalogue des logiciels gratuits

    Ninou, Jun 5, 2004
  11. Chaos Master

    JunkMonkey Guest

    Yeah! Good Call. I forgot about Approach! IBM practically gives away Lotus
    SmartSuite any more. (IBM was never very good at marketing, but you have to
    admire how it hates to just give up on a product line) I bet you could buy a
    complete SS version 9.5 or 9.6 for $20 or $30 US from one of the more
    reputable on-line software clearance houses.

    JunkMonkey, Jun 5, 2004
  12. Chaos Master

    Onno Guest

    Chaos Master <> wrote in

    > Is there any free and simple database program?

    Budgie 1.6 is a very fast office suite with a database module.
    No idea how good their database program is, I haven't tried it.

    --
    Onno

    Onno, Jun 5, 2004
  13. Chaos Master

    Susan Bugher Guest

    Onno wrote:

    > Chaos Master <> wrote in
    >

    >>Is there any free and simple database program?

    > Budgie 1.6 is a very fast office suite with a database module.
    > No idea how good their database program is, I haven't tried it.

    You can download it here:

    http://www.tucows.com/preview/325715.html

    Susan
    --
    Pricelessware: http://www.pricelessware.org
    PL2004 CD http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/CD2004PL.htm

    Susan Bugher, Jun 5, 2004
  14. Chaos Master

    Le Loup Guest

    Le Loup, Jun 5, 2004
  15. Chaos Master

    Chaos Master Guest

    There should be a part of Ben Cooper brain within this message' contents:

    > My, my... you're just full of contradictions aren't you?
    > Good luck finding basic, complex query reports.

    Ok, ok... you didn't understand:

    I want some database that is *simple* to use. No need for SQL, macros, web
    stuff, etc.... I once had a nice DB program called Alpha Five but the CD where I
    had it was too much scratches and does not work anymore.

    > BTW, have you tried Open Office?
    > http://www.openoffice.org/

    I will try Open Office but doing a ~60MB download over a dial-up connection will
    not be fun. :/

    []s

    --
    © 2004 Chaos Master | "I'm going under,
    Posting from Brazil! | drowning in you
    Linux User #349031 : | I'm falling forever,
    Slackware / Knoppix | I've got to break through"
    ---------------------. -- Evanescence, "Going Under"

    Chaos Master, Jun 5, 2004
  16. Chaos Master

    Chaos Master Guest

    There should be a part of Mark Warner brain within this message' contents:

    > No personal experience, but Little Lists has been highly recommended for
    > what you're describing:
    >
    > http://www.rkwest.com/downloads.shtml

    Will try this, thanks.

    Chaos Master, Jun 5, 2004
  17. Chaos Master

    Chaos Master Guest

    There should be a part of Bob Adkins brain within this message' contents:

    > Yea, yea, I know it's O/T, but there's no Freeware database program. :)

    I found here a CD which had StarOffice (the original version, not OpenOffice)
    and it has a decent database program.

    []s

    Chaos Master, Jun 5, 2004
  18. Chaos Master

    JunkMonkey Guest

    I have the same StarOffice V6 disk. True, it comes with a front-end
    application that theoretically connects to any database and a singleuser
    crippleware version of Adabas. The idea was that the two together could
    reasonably compete for your database needs so well that you wouldn't need MS
    Access. This is how Lotus Approach works, its a front-end app and a db2
    clone database engine. It's a valid approach to dbms and a well thought out
    application should work just fine and it does in Lotus Approach and many
    other payware apps.

    But not the StarOffice application! There was NO support from Sun or Adabas
    and no real instructions on installation and set up. I consider myself
    reasonably clever, and I am a Certified Terradata Professional so I do know
    something about databases, but I simply could not get either application to
    work. Either together or separately. Nor could I get the front end to
    connect to other databases. I gave up after a couple of days, I had
    satisfied my curiosity, and life is way too short.

    Technically StarOffice is payware, there is no excuse for such a sloppy DB
    release. I'm glad I got my copy for free.

    JunkMonkey, Jun 5, 2004
  19. Chaos Master

    John Guest

    Chaos Master <> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b2bf47f9b8cc216989a82@130.133.1.4>...
    > There should be a part of Bob Adkins brain within this message' contents:
    >
    > > Yea, yea, I know it's O/T, but there's no Freeware database program. :)

    > I found here a CD which had StarOffice (the original version, not OpenOffice)
    > and it has a decent database program.
    >
    > []s

    Here is another .

    dbEdit
    http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/
    dbEdit is a very easy-to-use database program.
    dbEdit will dial your phone, allow you to edit databases in an easy
    way, sort, search, create subset tables, and many other things.

    dbEdit is an MDI (Multi-Document Interface) application -- this means
    many databases can be open at a time. Records can easily be moved
    between databases or between applications, you can conduct multiple
    database searches, and custom macros can be written that allow dbEdit
    to launch programs and provide them with data.

    Oh, I almost forgot the other good news. dbEdit is CareWare -- that
    means no money, now or ever. You just have to care.

    John, Jun 6, 2004
  20. Chaos Master

    Chaos Master Guest

    There should be a part of JunkMonkey brain within this message' contents:

    > Technically StarOffice is payware, there is no excuse for such a sloppy DB
    > release. I'm glad I got my copy for free.

    I have StarOffice 5.1 - when it was still free.

    []s

    Chaos Master, Jun 6, 2004