Free Office Software

Reaction score
Ordered a nice new notebook for "er indoors" she wants a preferably free word processing suite for job applications etc if it can open Word documents it would be huge bonus,operating system will be Windows 7 home premium 64bit,your advice would be appreciated thanks in anticipation guys :bow:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You're in luck, as there's a great free Office suite called "Open Office":

http://www.openoffice.org/

It is compatible with all of the major file formats and even includes other apps such as presentation and spreadsheet software :).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Open Office.:thumb:
My Sister refused to pay MS £££ so i put Open Office on her Laptop.
She is now a big fan of it and even recomended it to me!!!:lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Libre Office is also now available. As I read it some of the guys responsible for Open Office broke away from them as they didn't like the direction Open Office was taking and created Libre Office which is very similar to Open Office, unsurprisingly.

Libre Office is better, imo, and other people obviously think so as many Linux Distros now ship with Libre Office and have dropped Open Office.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm running Libre Office on my Windows 7 64 bit with no problems so far.

Some of the licensing for Open Office was held in commercial hands even though the suite was available for free use.These commercial interests refused to make OF totally free so a large number of developers decided to set up a 100% free Libre Office. LF gained a great deal of support in the free world and is favoured by many projects.
Funnily enough OF is now a totally free software as after some humming and hahing the commercial interests decided to make OF 100%. :D
I think the above is basically right.

Reaction score
Libre is a new one on me but looks interesting,as an update she downloaded OF it didn't seem to work right at first but as it was a new lappy Microsoft were throwing alsorts of updates at it and i think it may have interfered with it,removed the programe and downloaded again and all is fine she's very happy with it now.Thanks again for the input guys.

Ask a Question