    seem to find any).

    --
    Milia

    Milia, Jan 29, 2004

  2. Milia wrote:
    > I've just purchased an older Agfa Snapscan e20 scanner which comes
    > with ReadIris 4.17 for W98/NT which I guess is incompatible with my
    > XP Home. I've checked the cost of the present version of Readiris,
    > but it's well beyond my small budget. Are there by any chance any
    > freeware OCR programs for XP around? (I've done a search but don't
    > seem to find any).
    >
    > --
    > Milia

    SimpleOCR
    http://www.simpleocr.com/

    --
    Bill

    Bill Schnakenberg, Jan 29, 2004

  3. Bill Schnakenberg () writes:
    > Milia wrote:
    >> I've just purchased an older Agfa Snapscan e20 scanner which comes
    >> with ReadIris 4.17 for W98/NT which I guess is incompatible with my
    >> XP Home. I've checked the cost of the present version of Readiris,
    >> but it's well beyond my small budget. Are there by any chance any
    >> freeware OCR programs for XP around? (I've done a search but don't
    >> seem to find any).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Milia

    > SimpleOCR
    > http://www.simpleocr.com/

    This will run on XP Home without a lot of fussing around?

    Does it conflict with Paperport Deluxe 7 or Textbridge Pro 9 on the same
    computer?

    Brendan

    Brendan R. Wehrung, Jan 29, 2004
  4. Milia

    Jim Nagy Guest

    In article <>, Milia
    <> wrote:

    > I've just purchased an older Agfa Snapscan e20 scanner which comes
    > with ReadIris 4.17 for W98/NT which I guess is incompatible with my
    > XP Home. I've checked the cost of the present version of Readiris,
    > but it's well beyond my small budget. Are there by any chance any
    > freeware OCR programs for XP around? (I've done a search but don't
    > seem to find any).
    >
    > --
    > Milia

    Too bad you're not a Mac user. I just got a free copy of Readiris Pro 7
    on the cover of the January MacWorld (UK version). Not a demo - it's
    complete.

    --
    Jim Nagy
    Elm Electronics

    Jim Nagy, Jan 29, 2004
  5. Milia

    tomcas Guest

    "Brendan R. Wehrung" <> wrote in message

    > > SimpleOCR
    > > http://www.simpleocr.com/
    > >

    > This will run on XP Home without a lot of fussing around?
    >
    > Does it conflict with Paperport Deluxe 7 or Textbridge Pro 9 on the same

    computer?

    If you have Textbridge Pro 9 ( a pretty decent OCR program) why would you
    even need simpleOCR?

    tomcas, Jan 29, 2004
  6. Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:
    > Bill Schnakenberg () writes:
    >
    >>Milia wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've just purchased an older Agfa Snapscan e20 scanner which comes
    >>>with ReadIris 4.17 for W98/NT which I guess is incompatible with my
    >>>XP Home. I've checked the cost of the present version of Readiris,
    >>>but it's well beyond my small budget. Are there by any chance any
    >>>freeware OCR programs for XP around? (I've done a search but don't
    >>>seem to find any).
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Milia

    >>SimpleOCR
    >>http://www.simpleocr.com/
    >>

    > This will run on XP Home without a lot of fussing around?

    It runs on my XP Pro.

    > Does it conflict with Paperport Deluxe 7 or Textbridge Pro 9 on the same
    > computer?

    I don't have either program, so I don't know. If I did, I wouldn't need
    SimpleOCR. I need an OCR program maybe once or twice a year.

    > Brendan

    Bill

    Bill Schnakenberg, Jan 29, 2004
  7. Bill Schnakenberg wrote:

    > Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:
    >
    >> Bill Schnakenberg () writes:

    >>> SimpleOCR
    >>> http://www.simpleocr.com/
    >>>

    >> This will run on XP Home without a lot of fussing around?

    > It runs on my XP Pro.

    I don't know why I wrote XP Pro. I have XP Home.

    --
    Bill

    Bill Schnakenberg, Jan 29, 2004
  8. "tomcas" () writes:
    > "Brendan R. Wehrung" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> > SimpleOCR
    >> > http://www.simpleocr.com/
    >> >

    >> This will run on XP Home without a lot of fussing around?
    >>
    >> Does it conflict with Paperport Deluxe 7 or Textbridge Pro 9 on the same

    > computer?
    >
    > If you have Textbridge Pro 9 ( a pretty decent OCR program) why would you
    > even need simpleOCR?

    Accuracy with less than perfect printing could be better. Maybe freeware
    won't do better, but my copy of Textbridge is from when Xerox still owned
    it.

    Brendan0

    Brendan R. Wehrung, Jan 29, 2004
  9. Milia

    Milia Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:36:53 GMT, Bill Schnakenberg
    <> wrote:

    >SimpleOCR
    >http://www.simpleocr.com/

    Great, Bill - if all else fails, that's the one for me.

    --
    Milia

    Milia, Jan 29, 2004
  10. Milia

    Milia Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:59:11 -0500, Jim Nagy <>
    wrote:

    >Too bad you're not a Mac user. I just got a free copy of Readiris Pro 7
    >on the cover of the January MacWorld (UK version). Not a demo - it's
    >complete.

    ' a cushy life for some ;-)
    --
    Milia

    Milia, Jan 29, 2004
  11. Milia

    Milia Guest

    Just in case anyone might be interested, here's the mail I've just got
    from Readiris Support whom I had contacted a few hours ago with the
    question whether my old version of Readiris might be suitable for XP.

    ----
    Readiris versions 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 (32 bits) are completely compatible
    with Windows XP. The tests and verifications that we made don't raise
    any particular problem.

    However, you have to know that:
    Windows XP can be installed by choice like a new installation or as
    update of a previous version of Windows.

    1 - if you have a previous version of Windows and that you decided to
    install Windows XP like a new operating system from an either
    formatted or virgin hard disk, you will be obliged to reinstall the
    Readiris application.
    2 - if you have a previous version of Windows and that you decided to
    make the updating of the operating system toward Windows XP,
    you will keep your therefore already installed informations and
    programs that were existing on the hard disk and informed in the
    registration basis of Windows. However, in this case, Windows XP will
    maybe not take correctly the file informations and drivers of
    Readiris.

    If this is your case, proceed to the reinstallation of the Readiris
    program.

    REMARK:

    If your version of Readiris was so ever protected by a software key at
    the time of the installation under the previous version of Windows,
    following the passage to Windows XP, the software key won't be more
    valid because the identification number will now be also different
    ....and so the key. (If Readiris did not ever asked you a key in order
    to continue, don't take account of the remark that follows)

    It is necessary that you communicate us this new identification
    number. This number can be found when you choose "register now" on
    start up program and click "ok" after had put your serial number, you
    will have another window with written "The identification number of
    this computer is 31....". (long number)

    I stay at your disposal for all complementary information regarding
    the installation of Readiris application.
    -----

    Full marks to Readiris Support, I'd say, for speed and goodwill. They
    might get my 2nd prize for *best support* around! ( my 1st prize goes
    to Intel ).

    --
    Milia

    Milia, Jan 29, 2004
  12. Milia

    Jumbo Fresh Guest

    Jumbo Fresh, Mar 18, 2004
  13. Milia

    Jeff Guest

    It works for me.

    Jeff, Mar 18, 2004
  14. Jeff () writes:
    > It works for me.
    >
    > Jumbo Fresh wrote:
    >> This website seems to be shut down.
    >>
    >> Bill Schnakenberg <> wrote in news:FAYRb.11082
    >> $:
    >>

    >>>http://www.simpleocr.com/

    Wish the software did. I downloaded and isntalled it, but recognition is
    much worse than Textbridge 9 (the IBM version) and formatting is
    non-existent. A pity because editing is easy, if tedious. (I uninstalled
    it, needless to say.)

    I took a pass on OmniPage for $70 at CompUSA this week. I just don't use
    OCR enough to justify that kind of cost when I have a somewhat accurate
    application already, although I can easily imagine better.

    Brendan

    Brendan R. Wehrung, Mar 20, 2004
  15. "Brendan R. Wehrung" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff () writes:
    > > It works for me.
    > >
    > > Jumbo Fresh wrote:
    > >> This website seems to be shut down.
    > >>
    > >> Bill Schnakenberg <> wrote in news:FAYRb.11082
    > >> $:

    > Wish the software did. I downloaded and isntalled it, but recognition is
    > much worse than Textbridge 9 (the IBM version) and formatting is
    > non-existent. A pity because editing is easy, if tedious. (I uninstalled
    > it, needless to say.)
    >
    > I took a pass on OmniPage for $70 at CompUSA this week. I just don't use
    > OCR enough to justify that kind of cost when I have a somewhat accurate
    > application already, although I can easily imagine better.
    >
    > Brendan

    I have not found any OCR software that works as advertised, except for
    scanning the black and white equivalent of a one page letter.

    OTOH I scan newspapers, magazines, etc., as "Images" using appropriate
    settings such as "line", "256 shades of grey", or "millions of colors", and
    save as "jpg" or "jpeg" files.

    Works fine for my purposes.

    Has anyone had any success scanning as OCR such things as a 3 column
    magazine spread with color photos included?

    What program was used? What scanner?

    Panos Papadopolous, Mar 22, 2004
  16. Milia

    mye