    I have also viewed a few videos within IE on YouTube but I didn't think that
    these consumed hard disk space.

    Thanks for any help.

    lwestatbus, Aug 15, 2009

  2. lwestatbus

    Daave Guest

    lwestatbus wrote:
    > I have Win XP with all updates applied running on a 3-year old laptop
    > with only 100 GB of hard disk space. A week ago I had 15 GB free but
    > as of this morning I am down to just 5.5 GB. I cannot figure out
    > what has consumed the extra 10 GB of space. Can anyone tell me how
    > to identify where in the file system large file activities have taken
    > place in the recent past?
    >
    > I have been doing some video projects using Pinnacle's Studio product
    > but all source files are on an external drive and I burn the output
    > directly to DVD, not to a disk image. I have used this product for
    > years and have not had it consume inordinate disk space before. I
    > have deleted the project files (relatively small files) after each
    > project is completed.
    >
    > I have also viewed a few videos within IE on YouTube but I didn't
    > think that these consumed hard disk space.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Try running Disc Cleanup:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

    Daave, Aug 15, 2009

  3. lwestatbus wrote:
    > I have Win XP with all updates applied running on a 3-year old
    > laptop with only 100 GB of hard disk space. A week ago I had 15 GB
    > free but as of this morning I am down to just 5.5 GB. I cannot
    > figure out what has consumed the extra 10 GB of space. Can anyone
    > tell me how to identify where in the file system large file
    > activities have taken place in the recent past?
    >
    > I have been doing some video projects using Pinnacle's Studio
    > product but all source files are on an external drive and I burn
    > the output directly to DVD, not to a disk image. I have used this
    > product for years and have not had it consume inordinate disk space
    > before. I have deleted the project files (relatively small files)
    > after each project is completed.
    >
    > I have also viewed a few videos within IE on YouTube but I didn't
    > think that these consumed hard disk space.

    More than likely - temp files are created on your local drive when editing
    video - and it definitely is when you burn to DVD - you are not (trust me)
    writing directly to DVD during such a process.

    Anyway - you should free up a lot more space by moving *your* stuff
    elsewhere. ;-)

    Download/install this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

    After installing, do the following:

    Start button --> RUN --> type in:
    "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
    --> Click OK.

    (The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

    If you are comfortable with the stability of your system, you can delete the
    uninstall files for the patches that Windows XP has installed...
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
    ( Particularly of interest here - #4 )
    ( Alternative: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm )

    You can run Disk Cleanup - built into Windows XP - to erase all but your
    latest restore point and cleanup even more "loose files"..

    How to use Disk Cleanup
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

    You can turn off hibernation if it is on and you don't use it..

    When you hibernate your computer, Windows saves the contents of the system's
    memory to the hiberfil.sys file. As a result, the size of the hiberfil.sys
    file will always equal the amount of physical memory in your system. If you
    don't use the hibernate feature and want to recapture the space that Windows
    uses for the hiberfil.sys file, perform the following steps:

    - Start the Control Panel Power Options applet (go to Start, Settings,
    Control Panel, and click Power Options).
    - Select the Hibernate tab, clear the "Enable hibernation" check box, then
    click OK; although you might think otherwise, selecting Never under the
    "System hibernates" option on the Power Schemes tab doesn't delete the
    hiberfil.sys file.
    - Windows will remove the "System hibernates" option from the Power Schemes
    tab and delete the hiberfil.sys file.

    You can control how much space your System Restore can use...

    1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the System Restore tab.
    3. Highlight one of your drives (or C: if you only have one) and click on
    the "Settings" button.
    4. Change the percentage of disk space you wish to allow.. I suggest moving
    the slider until you have just about 1GB (1024MB or close to that...)
    5. Click OK.. Then Click OK again.

    You can control how much space your Temporary Internet Files can utilize...

    Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to a
    size between 64MB and 128MB..

    - Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
    - Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
    - Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section, do the
    following:
    - Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
    - Click on "Settings" and change the "Amount of disk space to use:" to
    something between 64MB and 128MB. (It may be MUCH larger right
    now.)
    - Click OK.
    - Click on "Delete Files" and select to "Delete all offline contents"
    (the checkbox) and click OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take 2-10
    minutes or more.)
    - Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer, re-open Internet
    Explorer.

    You can use an application that scans your system for log files and
    temporary files and use that to get rid of those:

    Ccleaner (Free!)
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

    Other ways to free up space..

    SequoiaView
    http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

    JDiskReport
    http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/index.html

    Those can help you visually discover where all the space is being used.

    In the end - a standard Windows XP installation with all sorts of extras
    will not likely be above about 4.5GB to 9GB in size. If you have more space
    than that (likely do on a modern machine) and most of it seems to be used -
    likely you need to move *your stuff* off and/or find a better way to manage
    it.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Aug 15, 2009
  4. lwestatbus

    JS Guest

    Low Disk Space
    How to free up hard drive space on your Laptop or PC
    http://www.pagestart.com/lowdiskspace01.html

    --
    JS
    http://www.pagestart.com

    JS, Aug 15, 2009
  5. lwestatbus

    HERMIT Guest

    I have a similar problem with the loss of HDD space. Awhile back, I was
    having the problem of "Disc Cleanup" running slow or locking up when it got
    to doing the "Compress Old Files" operation. I found a repair patch somewhere
    that removed or made the "check-box" option hidden for that feature, and
    things had been running smoothly for awhile. Now I am running out of disc
    space quickly it seems everytime an update comes along. I normally do not add
    new programs or have many large audio or video files installed on this HDD,
    just mainly the system files. Does anyone know how I can restore the
    "Compress Old Files" check-box option back into the "Disc Cleanup" utility,
    or repair the program?
    HERMIT

    HERMIT, Aug 15, 2009

    HERMIT wrote:
    > I have a similar problem with the loss of HDD space. Awhile back, I
    > was having the problem of "Disc Cleanup" running slow or locking up
    > when it got to doing the "Compress Old Files" operation. I found a
    > repair patch somewhere that removed or made the "check-box" option
    > hidden for that feature, and things had been running smoothly for
    > awhile. Now I am running out of disc space quickly it seems
    > everytime an update comes along. I normally do not add new programs
    > or have many large audio or video files installed on this HDD, just
    > mainly the system files. Does anyone know how I can restore the
    > "Compress Old Files" check-box option back into the "Disc Cleanup"
    > utility, or repair the program?

    Compression - at least the file compression you will be getting through the
    built-in functionality - is not a solution.

    Cleanup using my tips and then - if you still don't have enough space - it's
    time to invest inm a larger hard disk drive.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Aug 15, 2009
  7. lwestatbus

    HERMIT Guest

    Stanley,
    I am currently in the process of and working towards cloning this HDD (10Gb)
    to a larger (250Gb) drive, and have already preformed the majority of your
    cleanup tips, but need to cleanup more space to possibly do a DEFRAG and
    convert the FAT32 files to NTFS before doing the cloning. Do you know of a
    way to restore the "Compress Old Files" check-box option in the Disc Cleanup
    utility?....or have any other suggestions of how to do it, or to find info on
    restoring the option?
    HERMIT

    HERMIT, Aug 18, 2009
  8. HERMIT <> wrote:

    >Stanley,
    >I am currently in the process of and working towards cloning this HDD (10Gb)
    >to a larger (250Gb) drive, and have already preformed the majority of your
    >cleanup tips, but need to cleanup more space to possibly do a DEFRAG and
    >convert the FAT32 files to NTFS before doing the cloning.

    Do all of that AFTER cloning.

    Bennett Marco, Aug 18, 2009